JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Texas homeschool (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/1033653-texas-homeschool.html)

Miguelsmommy April 22nd, 2008 07:07 PM

Because of all the stuff going on in Texas I've seen a lot of comments on it being due to the lax home school laws? Do you think this is going to affect TX homeschool law? What about other states homeschool laws?

grunig April 22nd, 2008 07:56 PM

Homeschool laws have little to do with it. I don't think the state will have time to worry about their homeschool laws with the can of worms that they have now there is a lot more to worry about.

Miguelsmommy April 22nd, 2008 11:04 PM

I don't want TX one of the really nice states to HS to decided to be strict because of "public outcry" the situation has nothing to do with HS.

Butter April 23rd, 2008 08:11 AM

I doubt it will have any effect whatsoever. This is a while different thing apart from homeschooling.

Jenneve April 23rd, 2008 08:57 AM

Ok, this is going to sound really lame since I live in Texas, but what are ya'll talking about? lol

Butter April 23rd, 2008 09:49 AM

The thing with the FLDS group.

Jenneve April 23rd, 2008 10:46 AM

You know, I heard something about a polygomist group on a news commercial clip, but didn't watch the actual news story. I just read about it, but I don't see what it would have to do with homeschool laws here. Is polygomy even legal in this country??

Butter April 23rd, 2008 11:25 AM

No, it's not. And this group goes so much father than polygamy (forced "marriage" - they aren't actually married since you can't marry more than one person - between 50+ year olds and children under 16, belief in blood atonement where they kill someone they believe has committed a bad sin, welfare fraud, etc.). There was an article I read that said they had essentially started a private school for the kids but aren't educating them and it indicated that Texas's easy homeschooling laws were at the root of these kids flying under the radar. The thing is generally all polygamous sects' kids fly under the radar no matter what the laws in their state are. So really I think the homeschooling issue is the least of the worries with those people.

Motherbird April 24th, 2008 07:08 AM

I was watching something yesterday that was talking about how they were homeschooled, but didn't get beyond a 6th grade education. Unfortunately things like this can give homeschooling a bad name. As a sidenote, I feel really bad for the all the mothers and children. I hope they can get those kids back to their moms quickly and safely.

LuvEmm April 24th, 2008 09:32 AM

I feel bad for the moms and kids too. :( I know that this is a sticky situation, but not all of the moms are part of the abuse and so many are victims too. One of the ex-FLDS members was saying on some report that she believes the tears are fake, but yet she got out because she loved her children. That broke my heart that she would say that. If she loves her kids, doesn't she think these moms do too? I don't believe the moms aren't sincere and want some much to have their children with them. It also bothers me how they can just suddenly with force, bus off children away from their families. I personally think there were better ways to handle this.

Motherbird April 24th, 2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

It also bothers me how they can just suddenly with force, bus off children away from their families. I personally think there were better ways to handle this.[/b]
I very much agree with this!

Miguelsmommy April 24th, 2008 06:41 PM

I feel bad for everyone involved because it seems like most were born there and had no clue. It's a really bad situation between criminal law, America, ambivalence, culture and religion. It was/is not being handled well.

The reason why I feel it's ambivalence is that one news reporter asked about the teens and one mother said "We're not talking about them were talking about our children." To me that means teens are adults in there culture meaning 6th grade education is fine. It seems they honestly didn't know http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/ma...ce=search_video

grunig April 25th, 2008 05:42 AM

I know A LOT of people who cleared public high school without much more that a 6th grade level education. And I do wonder how they could go in a take all of the children. It seemed a little odd to me, since it would have only been one family accused. You know what I mean?
"

Butter April 25th, 2008 06:09 AM

Well, yes they would only take the children of one family, but that's the thing about it. Because this is a polygamous compound it IS all one family. They live as if they are one family. Many of the kids don't know who their biological mother is. They think of all the sister-wives as their mothers. They are very much inbred as well. There are some children who are quite handicapped because they have diseases only found in incestuous relationships. So to go in an take one family of children is basically impossible (never mind many of the women have changed stories and such about which kids are actually theirs biologically). It's as if they are just one HUGE family whether by blood or not.

Motherbird April 25th, 2008 06:47 AM

Well I was relieved to find out that babies under 1 are allowed to stay with their mothers and breastfeeding toddlers to age 2 can live near their mothers. But my heart still breaks for the 2, 3, 4,... yr olds who are torn away from their moms and sent to live in the system. And I'm sure it's going to take a very long time to sort all of this out...

Butter April 25th, 2008 08:41 AM

No doubt. They're doing DNA testing, but particularly since most everyone IS related can you imagine the nightmare of trying to put together that family tree?