JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   When did your kids begin to read? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/1037656-when-did-your-kids-begin-to-read.html)

Story April 25th, 2008 09:32 AM

that's the question!
Mačva is 4 years and 9 months and can read a little!
She can read some sentences with sounds that she knows (we have many different sounds in french :rolleyes: )

She started to read by herself 2 months like ago, things like LA = L+A.

My_Serenity April 25th, 2008 09:39 AM

Xander was 3 and half when he started stringing small words together like... cat, hat, bed, etc. He also pretty much learned on his own to string them together. He's now just 5 and tested at a 5th grade level. Lucas is 3 and half and doesn't even know all his letter sounds yet. Kids are just different I guess.

Butter April 25th, 2008 09:41 AM

Ani was 4 1/2 and Cameron is 6. Ani's reading on a 9th grade level now at 8. Cameron's reading on an early first grade level at 6 1/2. Jamie and I were both 3 1/2 when we learned to read.

LuvEmm April 25th, 2008 09:55 AM

Emily was reading at 3 1/2, she is 4 and I think she is at a 1st grade reading level with the words that she can understand and sound out. Who knows how my 1 year old will be, but she is already showing that she is a baby obsessed with books. I can't keep my house free of book clutter because she and Emily drag them around. We'll see, every kid is different.

Miguelsmommy April 25th, 2008 10:11 AM

Miguel read really early can't remember now how old. At 5 he can read but not fully comprehend my college texts, nor does he care to. :) All of his books that he picked out for next year are 6-8th grade. I have no idea if they'll challenge him but as long as he enjoys it and continues to read I don't care.

hiskid1324 April 25th, 2008 10:40 AM

Haven't a clue on mine, as we're waiting on its birth still. ;-) However, my niece started reading at four, my nephew could *probably* read, but hasn't figured out that putting the sounds together will make words, lol. So, he's four and a half and not reading yet. I was two and a half when I started reading, and was reading at an 8th grade level at age five.

AmAnDaMo April 25th, 2008 10:51 AM

My oldest started reading at 4. There's no doubt in my mind that she could have read sooner, but she just wasn't interested. She's now 6 1/2 (in kindergarten) and reads at end of 3rd/early 4th grade level.

My youngest isn't even 2 1/2 yet and knows all of her letters and sounds. She can sound out simple words, but she only attaches meaning to them with help most of the time at this point. When she does it on her own all of the time, that's when I'll say she's officially "reading." I don't expect it to be much longer.

Retrocutie April 25th, 2008 12:28 PM

Ds had his first "Aha!" reading moment right around 4 1/2 but we're still practicing- he gets the meaning and everything but he's gotten into the habit of guessing the word instead of reading it. So we're working on that.

Stellaluna April 25th, 2008 02:23 PM

Ds started sounding out words between 2.5 and 3. By 3.5 he could easily read short sentences and small books. Somewhere around his 5th birthday he took off with chapter books and at just turned 6 can read pretty much anything. His favorite things to read fall somewhere in the 3rd - 6th grade reading level, depending on the content.

KarateMom April 25th, 2008 03:32 PM

It was so neat! Reilly was still sounding out words at the beginning of first grade, but by the end of the year, she was reading like a champ! Now, as we near the end of second grade, she's probably reading at a fourth grade level or something like that.

4boys April 25th, 2008 04:33 PM

Bailey was somewhere in the neighbourhood of 4 years old....Toby was reading 3 letter words at age 3.

Butter April 25th, 2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

It was so neat! Reilly was still sounding out words at the beginning of first grade, but by the end of the year, she was reading like a champ! Now, as we near the end of second grade, she's probably reading at a fourth grade level or something like that.[/b]
This is how I suspect Cameron will be (he's technically at the beginning of first grade since he moved to language arts 1 a couple weeks ago - we totally don't follow a normal school schedule - and he'd be nearing the end of kindergarten in public school now since he misses the cut off by 3 days here in VA). It's actually been so cool watching his reading abilities unfold.

Ani said she wanted to learn how to read and 3 weeks later she was able to read every set (A1 through C1) of the Bob Books. She was reading those leveled readers at level 2 by the time she turned 5. By 6 she had moved on to chapter books. Her current 9th grade reading level includes comprehension. Random words she can read past high school level, but I don't count it unless comprehension is there, too. Her learning to read was really not exciting. It was SOOO easy for her and just happened.

With Cameron it's totally different! Watching him learn and struggle a bit has been amazing and as he's getting better and better it's been truly thrilling. I don't feel like I taught Ani to read at all. She really taught herself. But I am teaching Cameron and it is so, so cool! It's such an accomplishment for him and I can't help but be incredibly proud of him.

Story April 25th, 2008 06:52 PM

So I guess my daughter is average! :D

Retrocutie April 25th, 2008 08:01 PM

OH no, I think all our kids are exceptional! Everyone is different though- some learn early some learn later but they're all smart as whips! I'm so glad your daughter is reading so well!

Butter April 26th, 2008 04:15 AM

Four is actually quite early. Average age for learning to read is around 6. More people with early readers homeschool likely because they see that their kid is already reading before school age and it just doesn't make sense to them to send them to school when they are already ahead since it would likely just slow them down.

AmAnDaMo April 26th, 2008 07:31 AM

From what I've seen, kids are learning to read earlier than they were in my day in general. Does anyone else notice this?

I was an early reader, and I was the only child in my kindergarten class who was reading. Most of the other kids didn't catch up until 1st or 2nd grade. In my daughter's kindergarten class, between 1/3 and 1/2 of the kids in the class were already reading to some degree coming in and they're all reading at least at 1st grade level now at the end of the year.

I'm wondering what the reasons are for this. Are we finally realizing that kids are capable of learning how to read at an earlier age? In my day, they really didn't focus on teaching kids how to read in school until much later even though many kids were perfectly capable and wanted to learn. Are there more resources available (even passive resources, such as focusing on literacy in cartoons)? Does this make the kids more interested? Are parents pushing their kids to read early to keep up with all of the other kids who are reading in kindergarten? Maybe there are more stay-at-home parents now then there were before who are willing to work with their children?

*Sharon* April 26th, 2008 07:55 AM

Quote:

Four is actually quite early. Average age for learning to read is around 6. More people with early readers homeschool likely because they see that their kid is already reading before school age and it just doesn't make sense to them to send them to school when they are already ahead since it would likely just slow them down.[/b]
Right. 4 is early to be reading, but it is often more common amongst homeschoolers because of the reason mentioned above.

We had always considered homeschooling but were undecided until my dd started reading early reader books before she was 4. (She has been reading some words when she was 2, but not books). And now at 6 I am not even sure what grade level she is reading at. Over a year ago she was reading 3rd grade independently and 4th grade instructional level (help with a few words). But it has been a year and she is reading much better than she was a year ago.

My 4 yo son knows all the basic phonics sounds and can sound out words...but he can't actually figure out what the word is. For cat he will sound it out ca-ah-t, but it sounds like it is a 3 syllable word and he can't smooth it out currently. No worries. I am not stressed about it at all. He will figure it out in time.

My dh and I were the opposite of Heather and her dh. Neither of us were early readers. In fact both of our 1st grade teachers actually used the term "retarded" to describe us. And both said we would never learn to read. I am not quite sure what made our teachers think we were "retarded" we were both very capable with many things. Both of us struggled our first few years. But once it clicked it clicked. I ended up being considered gifted. Dh was homeschooled starting 3rd grade and he is VERY intelligent.

Motherbird April 26th, 2008 09:03 AM

My oldest was 2 when he started reading words. Then age 3 for books. Age 4 for chapter books. He read Harry Potter at age 6.

My 2nd oldest was 3 for words, 4 for small books, 5 for chapter books, etc...

My 5 yr old now is only just learning to read individual words. So they are all different.

Butter April 26th, 2008 09:40 AM

Quote:

From what I've seen, kids are learning to read earlier than they were in my day in general. Does anyone else notice this?[/b]
No, but they are trying to force it because of testing. Here they start testing the kids in first grade so they need to read before then. The problem is while they are TEACHING the kids to read, the kids are often not LEARNING to read earlier. Some will read early, some will read late and it is unfortunate that they try to force it in kindergarten when a good number of the kids simply aren't ready. It's creating poor readers and kids who just plain hate to read. Also, most schools are not using a phonics based approach and it is often easier to simply memorize words than take the time to learn to sound them out and learn what sounds blends make, etc. This often works great up to about a second grade level. Then the whole thing fails because it is very difficult to continue to memorize words at a higher and higher level. Again you get poor readers. So while it may look impressive that most of a kindergarten class can read, once you get to fourth or fifth grade the problems with the way they are forcing early reading become apparent.

AmAnDaMo April 26th, 2008 10:16 AM

I'm talking about before kindergarten and before preschool in many cases...before the kids even enter the school system.

It just seems a lot more common for kids to be reading at 4 or sooner than it ever used to be.