JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Curriculum for next year (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/1595409-curriculum-for-next-year.html)

~InHisHands~ June 11th, 2009 05:01 PM

Curriculum for next year

So I've planned out Austin curriculum for next year (8th grade) & I really feel pretty good about most of it except Language Arts. I'm torn over Language Arts.

Bible: Christian Worldview program I learned about through Focus on the Family
Math: Math U See
Social Studies: Alpha Omega
Science: BJU, Earth & Space Science

Now, for Language Arts (HELP please)...
I REALLY REALLY like the looks of CLP, The Exciting World of Creative Writing b/c it looks like it is geared toward someone who wants to be a writer and right now that is what Austin is saying, that he wants to be a writer when he grows up so I thought this would be PERFECT for him. So that will take care of the creative writing requirement. However, I still have to have a grammar & literature, if I'm not mistaken. So for grammar I (along with the other local HSing mom who is helping me) thought Easy Grammar & then for Literature, Austin can check books out of the Library & write reports on them. Now the problem is that I have been looking at LLATL (he'd be in the gray book) & fell in love so now I'm torn (BTW, Austin is an avid reader). LLATL appears to have creative writing incorporated into the program (or at least that's what I read) so doing both LLATL & CLP, Creative Writing might be redundant so what do you think? Do both? Do CLP & Easy Grammar? Do LLATL & forget CLP? I'm really mostly hung up on CLP b/c it looks like it is geared toward someone who is interested in writing. Ugggghhhh, it's so hard to decide! :wacko:

~InHisHands~ June 13th, 2009 04:55 AM

Re: Curriculum for next year

Any thoughts/ideas?

BensMom June 13th, 2009 09:08 AM

Sorry. You know I'm no help. :shrugs:

~hsingtreehouse~ June 13th, 2009 12:21 PM

Well, I used LLATL and did not like it, especially for the older grades (4th and up). I have never used CLP. We use CLE (Christian Light) and I highly recommend it to everyone I meet...both for math and LA. :)

Best of luck in your search. Everyone has to find what works for THEM and sometimes it takes a bit of trial and error. Go with your gut and then be prepared to make a change if necessary. The first year is always the hardest as far as curriculum goes.

~InHisHands~ June 13th, 2009 04:50 PM

Thanks Rebecca & Chrystal... I've spent several hours tonight looking at reviews & am thinking I am leaning toward CLP & Easy Grammar & away from LLATL. I did look at CLE & I do like the looks of it but maybe next year since I really really want CLP, Creative Writing (which is for 7th & 8th grades). You know I found this GREAT site with reviews that I'm sure most of you already know about but it's new for me... Cathy Duffy Homeschool Reviews. This site makes me want CLP even more, especially considering right now Austin wants to write for a living.

~hsingtreehouse~ June 14th, 2009 07:17 AM

Yep...if he is a great writer, then definitely work with him on the writing. I am a writer (my degree is in English and I did technical writing for about 5 years before becoming a SAHM). I only WISH my kids wanted to be writers!!!! But alas, Bryce is a struggling writer and Scotty...well, we just don't know yet.

I love Cathy Duffy! :)

~InHisHands~ June 14th, 2009 10:11 AM

Actually, I'm not sure that I would think he is cut out to be a writer but he keeps talking about how he wants to do it so I want to encourage it & try to teach him all I can about it. He has even written a few short stories that IMO were pretty decent but then again I'm his mom. But when it comes to writing a summary of a book or something, it's very plain & to the point... heaven forbid the boy use a few adjectives or combine sentences! :lol: I'm sure he'll pick it up one day... it wasn't until I was grown & had a job that I actually think my writing skills improved to a point that I am actually kinda proud of.

Jenneve June 15th, 2009 05:40 AM

We use LLATL now and enjoy it. In the past we have used: Primary Language Lessons (hated it), Growing with Grammar (it was just ok), and BJU (really really hated it!). LLATL is the best we have used. It's the only one we'll continue for more than 1 year. :lol: It works for us. Many people feel it's too light in grammar, but IMO it's a good balance. The highest grade we've done is 4th (orange book) and we're moving on to 5th (purple) for next year, so I don't know how it is in the higher grades. But for now, we love it.