JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Introduce Yourself! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/1721200-introduce-yourself.html)

BensMom September 29th, 2009 07:44 AM

Introduce Yourself!

Welcome oldies and newbies! I'll have this stickied so we can all get to know each other a little better.

Name:

Grade and/or age of your children:

What do you hope to get out of this board?

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer?

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way?

Anything else?

in_mommy September 29th, 2009 08:36 AM

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Name:
Jennifer

Whitney 7 (will be 8 in Oct.) Gr. 2, Matthew 5 (will be 6 in Dec.) K, Sarah 3

Support and friendship

We are using a hodge-podge of things right now so we are eclectic

Nope, not at all.

Anything else?
I am also a WAHM

hiskid1324 September 29th, 2009 08:38 AM

Name: Melissa

Rebecca 11/08 - she is working on Nursery for 3's from ABeka this year. She LOVES school time. She begs for it. She would spend 8 hours a day doing school if I had the time, I'm sure. She also gets into mischief ALL. DAY. LONG. This is why school is a good thing for her. It keeps her busy for a while. It even helps keep her brain busy enough that she doesn't get into as much trouble. She "helps" around the house all the time, and loves to play with Elias, read books, play with her kitchen, and play on the play set outside.
Elias 6/10 - he is starting to demand "school" too. He loves to color and read stories with me, and he loves music. If there is music he is in motion. Everyone who knows him has commented on it to me. He picks up the beat, whether it is obvious or not, and dances/sways to it. :) He'll be my musical (left handed) genius yet, LOL. This year he'll be doing some semblance of tot school, I suppose... which will be whatever I throw at him that day.

What do you hope to get out of this board? Help when I need it, support, ideas...

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? I'm rather eclectic, but somewhat lean toward a Charlotte Mason-ish line of thinking.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? Yup. We have to send in a NOI telling how we plan to teach Language Arts and Math. Everything else isn't their business. ;-)

*~Amber~* September 29th, 2009 08:52 AM

Not homeschooling for now :(

LisanAndy September 29th, 2009 09:20 AM

Name: Lisa

Grade and/or age of your children: Taylor- will be 2 October 9th, Rylie-6 months

What do you hope to get out of this board? Support and friendship

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? Abeka for a lot of things but I'll be using some other materials as well.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? Yes... we'll have someone come to our house once a year to look over everything our girls have done for the year. She's a Christian-run umbrella group and was used for myself and my nephew when we were homeschooled.

Anything else? I'm excited and optimistic about homeschooling

rabbitranch September 29th, 2009 10:04 AM

Name: Heidi

Grade and/or age of your children: Alexei, 9 in Dec and in grade 3; Ibis, 7 in Nov and in grade 1; Coral, 2 1/2 and in mischief; baby boy due 12.25

What do you hope to get out of this board? support and ideas

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? textbook-based with real life activities completing the mix

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? in FL you are required to have a portfolio evaluated by a certified teacher each year; this year we opted to sign up with a "private school" just for homeschoolers and now all we submit is proof that we schooled 180 days out of the year (and by proof, we just write down the dates we schooled - it doesn't have to be backed up by anything)

Anything else? this is our 4th year homeschooling

BensMom September 29th, 2009 10:38 AM

Name: Chrystal

Grade and/or age of your children: Ben (12/1/05) is in 1st grade this year, Daniel (10/29/08) isn't HS yet

What do you hope to get out of this board? The same thing I get out of JM as a whole... to look at what everyone else uses to see why it does/doesn't work for them, and then draw from their experiences to make my own the best it can be.

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? I don't know just yet. Everything has evolved SO much in the past 4-5 mos since we decided to officially start HS'ing. I lean toward classical education, but I don't know enough about it yet to fully implement it at home. I definitely know we'll use a Latin foundation, but we're not starting that until next year (SSL). I also know that, for now, I like Abeka for math and R&S for language arts. We're finishing up all the ETC books this year and have loved them as well. I'll use them again for Daniel. I plan to use Apologia K-12 for science.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? Nope! Gotta love Texas! :D

Anything else? Excited to be co-hosting here. If I don't know an answer, I'll do my best to help you find it. I want everyone to feel welcome here regardless of parenting style, religion, or anything else that tends to divide groups.

4boys September 29th, 2009 01:25 PM

Name: Erin

Grade and/or age of your children: Bailey (Gr. 2), Toby (K), Ben (age 3), Reid (age 18 mos.)

What do you hope to get out of this board? ideas and reviews, support, etc.

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? mostly eclectic I think

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? they just require notification forms and "reports" twice a year

Anything else?

Chrissiepoo October 5th, 2009 10:09 AM

Name:
Chrissie

Angie - 4, Val - 7mos

I would love to find some great resources and talk to other mamas homeschooling children around the same age as my daughter.

At this point I do not have a curriculum or style. My main focus is teaching her how to read as I figure that skill will make learning other areas easier.

From what I have read a child is not required to attend school in New York until the age of 6 so I do not have to worry about regulations at the moment.

Anything else?
I am not as organized or serious about homeschooling as I would like to be so I have tons of room for improvement! I'm looking for some homeschooling rolemodels ;)

The Purple Butterfly October 12th, 2009 12:23 PM

I totally forgot to do this. :lol:

Name: Stacey

Grade and/or age of your children: 10yo/5th (not HSed), 9yo/3rd, 6yo/1st and 6mos.

What do you hope to get out of this board? Support, ideas.

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? LOVE Horizons!! :D We're pretty free-flowing with our day to day, though I wish we were more structured.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? Just decl. of intent and monthly attendance.

Tweetybabies October 14th, 2009 07:54 AM

Name: Jenn

Grade and/or age of your children: 6, 3 and 17 mths

What do you hope to get out of this board? support, friendship and ideas

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? I do not use any formal/boxed curriculum. We read a lot and I try to be as hands on as possible.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? No

nomadicmommy October 14th, 2009 09:48 AM

Name: Kirsten

Grade and/or age of your children: DD is 4 1/2, DS is 2 1/2

What do you hope to get out of this board? advice and help :)

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? I don't know yet!

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? Not sure

Anything else? We do a lot of learning at home, but no formal homeschooling yet, as my daughter is only 4. I'm trying to decide what style of homeschooling will be best for us.

mommyarella October 14th, 2009 12:04 PM

Name: Karie

Grade and/or age of your children: 6 and 4

What do you hope to get out of this board? advice, guidance as we start finding our way

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? Abeka, but only because I taught it before

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? Still learning about that

Anything else? Having a very difficult time with the school system. My dd is very unhappy. She is above the regular class, but her teacher will NOT do anything to help her advance. Teacher wants to let everyone else catch up. Not happy about this at all!

ZZ0607 October 20th, 2009 06:36 AM

Name: Emily

Grade and/or age of your children: 4.33 & 2.75

What do you hope to get out of this board? Everything; I'm clueless!

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? In theory I like unschooling, whether I personally could pull that off is a different story. I'm sort of exploring the options now.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? I believe an attendance record and standardized testing are required. Anything more, I don't know. We're in Georgia.

Anything else?
I'm pretty apprehensive about this whole thing because I have absolutely no frame of reference for this. I've been feeling pretty parenting-stupid recently, not to mention homeschool-illiterate. So I'm not sure there's much I could offer here except questions.

***Edited 6/16/2010 to adjust ages***

mom24Boyz October 22nd, 2009 12:38 PM

Name: Anisa

Grade and/or age of your children: 6th grade, 11 age

What do you hope to get out of this board? learn from others on lesson's and tips for homeschooling. find some locals to meet and learn from them.

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? A mix of things, mostly what you can get for free online.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? They do have some regulation but not much. Just fill out an Affidavit of intent to home school. And teach them in the 4 main subjects, Math, Language Arts (Spelling, Reading, Grammar), Social studies, Science. They do not need to be tested every year for the states tests.

Anything else? I now run a local homeschooling support group for all ages 4 to teenagers and family. We have park days and 2 field trips a year. To finding out more about our live meetups visit our website at www.hsota.com

msloop October 22nd, 2009 10:44 PM

Name: Michelle

Ali 7(5/02) and Jason 6 (7/03)

What do you hope to get out of this board? help provide advice on what i have learned so far and to learn even more

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? mainly sonlight but also ecclectic

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? have to track hours. required 1,000 hours per school year

Anything else? i love homeschooling and hope to share that enthusiasm with others.

Tammy5 October 28th, 2009 04:40 PM

Name: Tammy

Grade and/or age of your children: Caleb-10 (4th), Aleah-7 (2nd), Asher-almost 6 (k), Julia-2 1/2 cuddles

What do you hope to get out of this board? support and friendship

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? we are still experimenting with things here and there.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? Only testing every other year after 3rd grade.

Anything else? This is our first year homeschooling!! I'm having fun learning.

My_Serenity October 29th, 2009 07:33 AM

Name: Jenny

Grade and/or age of your children: Xander is 6 and in in third grade, Lucas 4 and in Kindergarten, and Aiden is 3 and I guess what he does is preschool

What do you hope to get out of this board? Support and new ideas

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? Classical mostly.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? Michigan doesn't have any strict laws.

Anything else? I used to frequent this board quite a bit. I've gotten out of touch, last school year was a pretty busy one for us. I look forward to meeting everyone else and getting reacquainted with any of the old members that are still around.

KasieH October 29th, 2009 01:21 PM

Name: Kasie

Grade and/or age of your children: Samantha 7 - 2nd Grade, Justin 6 - Kindergarten

What do you hope to get out of this board? Information and support....maybe some laughs

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? Not yet.. I have no started yet, although I do use Time4Learning to supplement my kids public school work

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way?No

Anything else? No at the moment

RachelK November 4th, 2009 11:40 AM

Name: Rachel

Grade and/or age of your children: I have 5 children, four of them are being homeschooled. Kamden (boy) is 10 & 5th grade, Bryson (boy) is 8 & 3rd grade, Kaya (girl) is 7 & also doing 3rd grade, Brayden (boy) is 5 & Grade K. Karstyn (girl) is 1 so she's coloring!!!

What do you hope to get out of this board? Advice and place to know "your not alone"

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? We use different stuff for different areas. My kids love the hands on material.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? I had to file paperwork showing I had a high school degree, now I keep an attendence record and 'test' the kids yearly. If the state asks for to see the two I have to show it to them. I live in NC.

Anything else? This is my first year Homeschooling and I love it, some moments are better then others. But it is the best thing we've done!!