JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   How long do you "do school" in a day? I'm panicking a bit. (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/1948684-how-long-do-you-do-school-day-im-panicking-bit.html)

TaraJo29 April 19th, 2010 12:59 PM

How long do you "do school" in a day? I'm panicking a bit.

I am feeling a little overwhelmed looking at what I have to accomplish with DS 1 and DS 2 next year and I'm thinking that we have to start spending HOURS upon HOURS 5 days a week - especially with interruptions and working around the needs of my 3yo and 1yo. I feel burnt out just thinking about it...

Does anyone feel panicky like this besides me? :( I don't know if there will be enough time in the DAY to do ALL the school that needs to be done, plus let the kids play, plus take care of 2 toddlers, plus keep the house clean... oh yeah, and then there's eating and showering, making meals, etc.

:o

BensMom April 19th, 2010 02:34 PM

Re: How long do you "do school" in a day? I'm panicking a bit.

You'll be surprised at how fast things can be done. This year, we're doing reading, writing, math, science, social studies, art, music, and Bible. It takes us appx 30-60 minutes per day to finish. Sometimes less, and on science day, sometimes a little more. Next year we'll be doing 11 subjects, and I'm guessing it'll take us 2 hours (ish) per day. You'll get into a groove. You'll find out how to teach while the toddlers are napping and have them do independent work (like handwriting) when you're busy with the toddlers. I usually like to take a long, hot shower at night after the kids are in bed. Sometimes I'll do it in the morning if I can get dh to eat breakfast with the kids. There are chores around the house that you can have the kids help with also. Even my 17 mo old knows how to put his own toys and clothes in the hamper or box.

Don't panic just yet. :smile: You may have a rough start, but who doesn't? You may have days when you just have to throw up your hands and quit. That's ok. You'll also have great days when you get twice as much done as you expected to.

Miguels mommy April 19th, 2010 10:17 PM

Combine as much as you can not only subjects but grades and child care. If your kids like being read to try literature based curriculum or singing try some geography, math, or Science CD's. Depending on what they already know you may be able to use math-tacular or leapfrog video's. If the 1 yr. old and 3 yr old take a nap then do some things then.

This year should have taken Miguel less then 20 minutes a day, on good days it takes less, on bad days we just give up at 3 pm if we haven't just let him read for the day.

Next year will be longer:
Monday-Friday except every other Tuesday
5 min. Grammar
15 min. math
10 min. Spelling
30 min. reading comprehension (M,W) / Science (T,R) / Writing (F)
60 min. S.S. (bed-time)
So 55 min. hours "book" work, 1 hour father/son reading time.

Saturday:
9-11 wood shop (1x month)
11-12 sport
1-3 Art/ music or robotics club

Other activities:
project day (1x month) Home school group
scouts (we don't know yet) Badges count toward school subjects
cooking class (4x month) only 10 weeks
bowling (4-6x month) family time
roller skating (1x month) home school group
karate (we don't know yet)
Swimming (2x a week)
After school program (up to 5x a week) to help us get shopping, and other things done easier and so he can make friends.
Co-op (every other Tuesday)
Library day

Remember you have 180 days out of the year and 900 hours. If they're playing then count it, sports count it, cooking count it, coloring count it and so on.

I would try to get 1 or 1/2 page of each subject done a day at first then slowly move up by month until you get to how many pages you want. If you don't get to something. Have the kids race the clock.

Sandra314 April 20th, 2010 09:35 PM

It doesn't take us that long either. I think it takes my preschooler an average of 30 -45 minutes per day. We take breaks too. My older son has more subjects so he takes about 1.5 hours to 2 hours with breaks.

We do natural studies, geography and science without books so our day isn't loaded with books and worksheets.

KeriMomof2 April 22nd, 2010 11:32 AM

We dont take that long either....
our curriculum is 98% computer based.....but i would say my son age 3 usually spends 20 mins of time on the computer...(sometimes more cause he keeps wanting to redo his lessons lol) then my daughter age 8 might spend 30-45 mins on computer...then she will spend about 20 min reading ..Then if we do history that day it wil be maybe another 30 mins..
now we only school 3 days on avg a week..thou we do school year round :)

frgsonmysox April 23rd, 2010 09:18 AM

.... you all have me freaked out. I have hours scheduled each day!

BensMom April 23rd, 2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frgsonmysox (Post 19925741)
.... you all have me freaked out. I have hours scheduled each day!

Don't freak out just yet. You'll get into a groove pretty quick. :cool:

TaraJo29 April 23rd, 2010 10:35 AM

Well... I was encouraged thinking, YAY, maybe I'm being too hard on myself (and the kids) thinking they have to be "schooling" for hours a day. Then I realized, according to NY State law, I have to cover 900 hours of instruction per year. And if you take a couple months off in the summer, it works out to 5 or 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, I believe. WAH!! So even if I could (at this age, anyway) make good progress with only 3 hours a day, I would have to lie through my teeth on my quarterly reports regarding the hours of instruction. Oy.

Reason #367 the state should stay our of our bidness. :rolleyes: If we CAN make great progress and spend hours less a day doing it, thereby having a lot more time for family time & play, or even traveling, why the heck shouldn't we be able to?! :mad: Instead, I guess you have to either make stuff up to meet their "time requirements" or spend hours more a day on busy work just so you don't have to be dishonest.

:(

BensMom April 23rd, 2010 10:42 AM

You can include all SORTS of stuff in that time requirement!! Don't forget that! Everything is a learning experience... not just worksheets. When you're eating lunch, have the kids tell you which food group the foods are in, what colors they are, which foods are healthy/not, etc. There's your nutrition/health for the day. Brushing teeth (health), playing outside (P.E.), driving in the car (reading signs), grocery shopping (math), bath crayons (art), and so on.

Miguels mommy April 23rd, 2010 12:14 PM

physical education- included outside play, any sports, any hikes, going swimming with friends, karate, or other things like that.
Science includes- grocery store shopping (get grocery cart math to make shoping more fun), walks, a lot of educational shows, legos, and scouts
Social studies- Playing with friends (citizenship), going on trips, long car ride (play licenses plate hunt), and other things like that.
English - books on tape for the car, reading, watching a movie that you read about.

I suggest keeping a note book this weekend write down everything one of your kids do and the length of time they do it. Then after they go to bed try to think of what they learned from it and stick it into a subject category. Allow yourself to only cross out three things as non-educational. You will be amazed at how much time kids spend learning on there own.

We have the 180/ days 900/hours rule here too. I count summer too. He often goes to half day summer camp (art, PE) and swims until 5 pm after that dinner story time bed. So that's (12/hr x 4 and 14 hours x 1) x 4 = 248 hours in the summer.

~FaRRaH~ April 23rd, 2010 12:27 PM

we dont have the hours here, in MD we have to log everything we cover... it takes us about 2-2.5 sometimes 3 hours for Reading (spelling, reading, language arts) Math, Sci/ S.S., Arabic, religion, Art, Health, Music, and Phys Activity...

I was actually told if they are playing with a musical instrument that counts, include it, if they are signing include it in the log, if you discuss something that could be considered health include, even cooking with you so add everything you do together.

TaraJo29 April 24th, 2010 01:08 PM

That's true! Man, I'm still getting used to this whole homeschooling thing, and I'm so paranoid. lol

When I read this I started thinking about all the things the kids do that I don't consider "school" but could definitely fit in. The kids LOVE books on CD. They listen to Curious George or Bible Stories almost every single night. Curious George even "learns the alphabet" and they follow along in the book with the letters. That is totally school!! LOL :p

The boys also play a lot of games together and watch documentaries (like we watched a movie on volcanoes under the sea the other day... Can we say "SCHOOL"?!). Honestly, we also have a lot of conversations over lunch or whenever about how we get sick and why, why we need bones, etc, etc. I guess I just didn't think about how much of that stuff we do and the fact that I can include it in the time requirements.

Thanks guys! I feel a lot better now. :D phew
This revelation makes my life a lot easier.