JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Should my son be in K or 1st next year? lol (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/1953849-should-my-son-k-1st-next-year-lol.html)

TaraJo29 April 23rd, 2010 10:11 AM

Should my son be in K or 1st next year? lol

NY State Law requires compulsory attendence when a minor becomes 6 yrs of age on or before December-something of that school year. So my son is definitely of compulsory age this coming year because he will be 6 in Sept.

So do you think he would normally be in 1st grade this fall if he were in the public school? :p I don't pay any attention to grades this young :rolleyes:, but I'm going to have to put it on his IHIP.

BensMom April 23rd, 2010 10:20 AM

Re: Should my son be in K or 1st next year? lol

It depends where you live. Everyone has a different cut-off age. Do you expect he'll be doing K or 1st on most subjects? Do you plan to enroll him in any clubs or classes? Think about what grade he must be to attend things like that and then decide what you think is best. With a Sept birthday, it really doesn't matter. Here, the cut-off is Oct, so he would be the youngest in his class going to 1st, or if you held him back (like most here do... especially boys), he'd be the oldest for K.

TaraJo29 April 23rd, 2010 10:25 AM

Good points. Yeah, what I don't know is what the "cut off date" is... I don't know if hslda has that info. I will have to look on LEAH or something and see if I can find it. Or, you know what, they may have that info on our local public school website, just so I have something concrete to go on. Thanks!

BensMom April 23rd, 2010 10:32 AM

Yes, it's all local. You'll have to check your own district.

Miguels mommy April 23rd, 2010 11:09 AM

Honestly I would wait until he is 6. From HSLDA "...becomes six years of age on or before the first of December." At that point I would register him for kindergarten. It doesn't matter what grade his work is at. It looks more impressive anyways if he's doing work ahead of his grade level. The testing will be easier and so will the evaluations. It will give you more leeway to find the things that work for him. It will also be a lot easier for summer camps, and scouts. I didn't take the advice mainly to get rid of the "So, when are you putting him in real school!" from my family and now I'm looking at keeping him in third or putting him in second.

AmAnDaMo April 23rd, 2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miguels mommy (Post 19927347)
Honestly I would wait until he is 6. From HSLDA "...becomes six years of age on or before the first of December." At that point I would register him for kindergarten. It doesn't matter what grade his work is at.

The testing will be easier and so will the evaluations. It will give you more leeway to find the things that work for him.

:iagree:

dalynnrmc April 23rd, 2010 01:08 PM

:iagree:

Tweetybabies April 23rd, 2010 03:29 PM

I know that in NYC, the cut off date is Dec 31st. So he would be considered 1st grade in the public school system.

hiskid1324 April 23rd, 2010 06:04 PM

I would suspect that he is supposed to be considered 1st grade.

Here we have the option of delaying entry by a year, and then the following year the child can be placed in either K or 1st by the parents choice, but you have to send a letter to the school board saying that you are choosing not to send your child for that year because you don't feel they are ready in some area (academically, emotionally, or socially). Rebecca doesn't make the cutoff for the year she turns five, but the other little girls on this street do, so we'll probably start K with her that year anyway, but we'll report her as being the right grade for her age. For this next one coming in June, we'll have to see how they fair-- if we feel we need that extra bit of time, we'll write the delaying letter thing, and if we don't then we'll report as K in the correct year.

in_mommy April 24th, 2010 06:37 AM

I would also guess they would say he is in 1st, but like others said, if you can, say he is K.

frgsonmysox April 24th, 2010 07:15 AM

Anthony will be 6 on the last day of August and should be going into the first grade.