JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   State Standards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/1983128-state-standards.html)

in_mommy May 19th, 2010 08:14 AM

State Standards

I was curious on how many of you print off and go by your state's standards or if you just don't worry about it, well I guess it just applies for those in states where you have the freedom to that.

*~Amber~* May 19th, 2010 08:51 AM

Re: State Standards

We are in OK so we have no requirements, but we are homeschooling to give them a better education than the school systems around can. So we exceed those standards.

JustAKrazymom May 19th, 2010 09:23 AM

Yeah that..I do not even look at our state frameworks.. I have a few moms in our group that live by them..if I wanted that they would be in school. I do use the worldbook and or the what your xx grader should know as a reference but we are aiming for better than public school around here..

Tofu Bacon May 19th, 2010 09:39 AM

I'm in NY, so once first grade starts, homeschooling is pretty heavily-regulated (LOTS of paperwork), but the district does send a packet with all of the information we need.

esparando para bebé May 19th, 2010 09:58 AM

Lurker here. We're not hs-ing yet, but will. We plan on printing the SOL's and using them as a guideline, but will not be heavily focusing on them like they do in public school.

BensMom May 19th, 2010 10:43 AM

Nope. Too much legal jargon. I refer to it when I have a question, and I compare it to tests, but I don't use it as a guide or standard.

Miguels mommy May 19th, 2010 10:52 AM

No, Miguel took the DOMA and DORA which compares it to the state requirements automatically. He scored around his level or higher so I'm not concerned. He will be taking it every year. I feel that it's easier to concentrate on just where he's at not where he should be. The start requirements seem to be written to make parents feel that it's complicated and there's more learning that goes into school then really is. When I right my curriculum outline I use there Fotomat so it sounds more educational then it really is.

momangel09 May 19th, 2010 11:21 AM

We test our kids with the state test but we do not use the standards to teach them. I use the standards just as a reference to make sure we cover what we should be covering.

Like alot of the other mom's here we go well beyond the standards. We also do religion which is not a test subject.

I have 3 children that are adults and have got state diplomas that I have homeschooled. The oldest is in the army, the next is a police officer, the oldest daughter is in college. The twin girls will both be going to college in the fall of 2011.

TaraJo29 May 19th, 2010 02:52 PM

I dig out my state standard documents when I write up my IHIP and to make sure I cover everything NY state requires in a given year so we are all legal. I consider their standards a "minimum" and then we can go as far beyond that as we like. I just don't want to anyone to have a bone to pick just because I didn't report that I covered Health or something dumb. That's as far as I go with it.

hiskid1324 May 19th, 2010 03:01 PM

At this point I know the curriculums I want to use (unless I find something I like better before we get there), and I know that they at least meet, and mostly exceed the VA SOLs. However, there are some GREAT lesson plans available on the site that has the SOLs, so I might make use of them when we're studying related areas. :)