JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Curious...do you think it's important to teach Mythology? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/1997433-curious-do-you-think-its-important-to-teach-mythology.html)

BensMom June 2nd, 2010 09:43 AM

Curious...do you think it's important to teach Mythology?

I learned a little bit about Greek/Roman mythology in my AP English class in high school. It was fun, but it was mostly meaningless to me. The other classes didn't even teach it. Do you think it's important for homeschoolers? Would you teach it as its own subject, as part of literature, part of religious history, or what? What grade(s) would you feel are best for mythology?

Amaranth Dhanya June 2nd, 2010 10:45 AM

Re: Curious...do you think it's important to teach Mythology?

I find it fascinating and so I wouldnt be opposed to teaching it as part of a history class(because to many it is their history...kwim?).

You could also classify it as a religious study course since many believe all religions are based off myths/stories.

I think, age-wise, 10 and up unless they show an interest in it earlier.

in_mommy June 2nd, 2010 10:48 AM

I think it is an important part of history/literature as well. We will review it but not until they are upper elementary or possibly middle school.

BensMom June 2nd, 2010 11:32 AM

We've touched on it a TINY bit already (because of things like the Hercules movie or astronomy constellation names). Mythology is everywhere. I don't plan to actually "teach" it until high school, though. I'll probably have the kids read several of the stories just because they're fun, but we'll also talk a little about the history as it ties into the Mystery of History curriculum.

esparando para bebé June 2nd, 2010 11:58 AM

I don't know an age, but we do plan on teaching it. In fact, we were just talking about it last week. DH finds it fascinating and I've always wanted to know more about it.

hiskid1324 June 2nd, 2010 03:46 PM

I think we'll probably look at it a little every year. There are things all around us that spring from mythology, and I would like to put it in a Christian perspective for our children before they get the chance to learn something different...

Miguels mommy June 2nd, 2010 04:57 PM

We've done mythology, fables, folklore, and fairy tales for the first 2+ years. It really helps him with the whys of life. We use it as religion history, Social studies, and language arts.