JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Drive-Thru History... and a question (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/1997691-drive-thru-history-and-question.html)

BensMom June 2nd, 2010 01:06 PM

Drive-Thru History... and a question

Has anyone here ever used Drive-Thru History (either as a supplement or a complete history curriculum)? Looks interesting at first glance, but I don't know much about it. If I get it, it'll be supplemental only.

question.....

Have you already, or do you plan to, take any "teaching vacations"? I'm talking about vacations that are primarily or entirely from an educational standpoint? Dh and I were talking about this again the other day. We love the homeschooling lifestyle where we can take trips during the off-season. We're planning to do a few trips before the kids go to college. We'll probably start with the mountains and/or yellowstone when they're 8-ish, and then we'll do things like the NE when they're older. No plans definite yet.

JustAKrazymom June 2nd, 2010 03:51 PM

Re: Drive-Thru History... and a question

We have several of the video's and while I think they are great I would never use them as whole curric.

This past vacation every activity we did was educational..so yup..we would do that..lol

christianmommato3 June 2nd, 2010 07:34 PM

I think they are fine as just a dvd supplement, but I wouldn't use it for my primary teaching... I hope to in the next couple of years to spend 2 to 3 weeks doing DC, MD, PA, MA, and VA.... I find that kind of thing fun!

BensMom June 2nd, 2010 09:35 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they only cover a small section of U.S. history... not all of it? See... this is why I'd use it as a supplement. I'd never heard of them until someone told me that's what she uses for her complete U.S. curriculum for her kids (various ages... all on the same general level for subjects other than LA and math). I googled it and thought I must have found the wrong thing. It doesn't look complete enough to me at ALL for a primary curriculum!

JustAKrazymom June 3rd, 2010 03:54 AM

They do a good portion of the early Amer History.. not sure if they go much past that. The new "America the Story of Us" is way better for US History..my kids watched the whole series and I don't even consider it part of their curric.. it was just "fun" to watch,..but I guess to each their own.

Amaranth Dhanya June 3rd, 2010 07:36 AM

My husband and I would love to get in an RV and just travel around the country to various historical spots with the boys and teach them about those spots,etc. One of our "dreams" but who knows if it will ever happen.

Never heard of Drive Thru History but I will look into it. I love history!