JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Subjects (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2001927-subjects.html)

sammyjo83 June 6th, 2010 03:32 PM

Subjects

How do you all do your school days? Do you have math, science, reading, etc. in one day or do you have specific days that you do one subject? Like math on Mondays, Science on Tuesdays, etc.

sammyjo83 June 6th, 2010 03:53 PM

Re: Subjects

Let me know if I'm annoying you all at with all of my questions. I'm just so curious to know how it all works and I don't know anyone outside of here that homeschool.

Miguels mommy June 6th, 2010 05:32 PM

As things get hectic we'll probably do 4 days a week of actual seat work when everything is said and done between co-op, plays, after school stuff and homeschooling events.
This year he'll do math,ss, art, spelling and grammar every day. Science as he wants or with the co-op. It sounds like a lot but it's at most 2 hrs.

Math and grammar- In the morning independent work (20 min. tops)
Spelling- after independent work (10 min. tops)
Art - around 7pm (family time)
SS- around 8 Bedtime stories (DH and Miguel time)
Everything else is just whenever he wants because writing and math are his least favored they are required to do before anything else in the day.

Amaranth Dhanya June 6th, 2010 05:39 PM

Last year I did reading/writing every day for about 20 mins each session.
Then I would do geography and math stuff for about 1/2 every other day.
Science was little things here and there but no real sit down time unless he was watching "How Its Made" on Discovery Science cuz he loves that show LOL.

If schedule was crazy then we'd just make sure we got reading/writing in and worry about the other subjects later that week.

We will be more structured this coming fall but I havent written the schedule yet. I dont plan on doing more than 2 hrs a day of school. So I will limit subjects to 20-30 mins. We will do math, science, language arts, social studies, art/music, and Im going to add in gym(like we'll go on walks or do yoga or something like that so he gets some exercise in).

BensMom June 6th, 2010 07:31 PM

Questions aren't annoying. Everyone has asked the same questions at some point in the past. ;)

For 1st grade, we did the basics every day (reading, writing, math, and Bible). The other things were scheduled around "life". For example, I know we've got PT/OT on Fridays, so that means Ben will be super tired and not very cooperative. I don't schedule any extra stuff that day. We're usually home all day on Wed's because we have Bible study on Wed. night. We do a lot of extra work on Wed's usually (science, social studies, etc.)

Here's what 2nd grade looks like, for a total of 2 hours or less per day (we homeschool year round, but summer is a light schedule... this is Fall/Spring):

Daily: English Grammer or Reading Comprehension, Latin, Spelling, Handwriting, Math, Bible

Tue/Thur: Science and either Music or Art

M/W/F: History

(Health & Geography will be finished over the summer) If I ever need to drop something because of a schedule conflict, it'll be History. The reason is that we're using "Mystery of History", which is a cycling curriculum that we'll repeat 2-3 times before graduation. He'll eventually catch that one up, and it's not a prerequisite for any of his other subjects. We could fall behind by 2 years and still be able to get completely through it twice before he graduates.

Sandra314 June 6th, 2010 11:52 PM

It is good to ask questions. I always do. :)

We cover the basic subjects everyday (M-F) which are:
Language Arts (includes Reading and Bible)
Phonics
Math
Handwriting

on Monday/Wednesday and Friday:
Art
Geography/Social Studies

On Tuesday/ Thursday:
Science and Nature Study
Music

On Fridays we started adding:
Life Skills (my oldest son has special needs and we thought it would be best if he learned skills such as money management, grocery shopping, cooking, Hygiene, etc)

in_mommy June 7th, 2010 06:17 AM

Each day we did devotions, journal, spelling, grammar, reading, and math. We then alternated days of history, science, and art.
I am going to follow the same pattern for the most part, just adding in a few subjects.