JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   What subjects do/did you teach in Kindergarten? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2045278-what-subjects-do-did-you-teach-kindergarten.html)

mommytutu July 18th, 2010 05:28 PM

What subjects do/did you teach in Kindergarten?

My oldest is heading into Kindergarten levels this fall, and I'm wondering what subjects the rest of you taught? I've chosen to go ahead with the basics (reading, writing, math) and to also do history, science, and religious education. I also have some small unit studies to cover health, manners/etiquette, and a few other topics.

We have been doing reading, writing, and math, and teaching other subjects through an "unschooling" method, but I think we would really benefit from something a little more structured.

DF mentioned that he thought six subjects would be too much for DD, though. I don't think so, but I'm just curious what others have done.

Of course if it does become too much for her to handle then we can definitely cut back. That's one of the joys of homeschooling! :)

Miguels mommy July 18th, 2010 05:55 PM

Re: What subjects do/did you teach in Kindergarten?

Science, Social studies for us was done through reading the magic tree-house series together. PE was karate. Typing was through tux typing. He also did time4learning for a little while. I personally don't believe 6 subjects is a lot if it's presented in a fun way for kids and in short bursts. you may want to stagger days. At 8 we try to still keep set work under 10 min.

BensMom July 18th, 2010 07:07 PM

I'm probably the wrong person to be asking. We did tons of stuff, but no more than what he asked for. We did reading, writing, math, science, social studies, art, music, health, and Bible for a combined K-1 year. Even if your structured day is only R, W, and M, you can still throw in sci and ss in an unschooling way.

*~Amber~* July 18th, 2010 07:42 PM

We just do reading, writing, math, and bible. She does have the option of following along with her sister's science, history, and geography though.

Motherbird July 19th, 2010 01:22 PM

Just the 3 R's for Kdg here- along with some music and arts and crafts. I think History is too weighty a subject for little ones. The only science I would do is nature studies, but nothing serious. I try to keep it simple and gentle at that age.

mater bibit July 19th, 2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motherbird (Post 20909650)
Just the 3 R's for Kdg here- along with some music and arts and crafts. I think History is too weighty a subject for little ones. The only science I would do is nature studies, but nothing serious. I try to keep it simple and gentle at that age.

Pretty much the same thing here.

Everything besides the core subjects is kind of unschooled I guess.