JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Ugh... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2052739-ugh.html)

mom2mande July 25th, 2010 08:45 PM

Ugh...

So we are looking into our 6th and 7th grader taking enrichment type classes at a nearby charter school. We have kind of said we would put them in high school somewhere (probably at this school) starting in 9th or 10th grade and figured this would be a great way for #1 them to get the classes I can't teach like band, art, music ect and #2 get to know other kids before going "full time". Well today my oldest threw me a curve ball and is begging to go to school full time. I am just struggling now really what to do. Ever since we pulled them out of school it has been a battle with her. She is very social and while we are involved in a lot of outside things it doesn't seem to be enough. I don't know if it's her age, and body changing, hormones starting or what but I feel like she hasn't been truly happy since we pulled her out. She never wanted to be home schooled. I just want to do what is best for her but I don't know what is best anymore :( I feel like she should be allowed to help in the decision making but dh is kind of like taking the stance that "we are the parents". I realize that but it's so hard. If she goes to school full time in the fall it's not going to be the same here during the day without her :cry:

I guess I am just looking to see if anyone else has gone through this?

BensMom July 25th, 2010 08:49 PM

Re: Ugh...

I haven't, but (1) I agree that parents are parents and kids are kids. The final decision is up to you. HOWEVER, (2) I also agree that she should have some say in her education. A compromise would teach her the value of working together for a solution. I think (my personal opinion which means nothing to your family, of course!) that you should continue to homeschool part time and do classes part time.

Miguels mommy July 25th, 2010 09:11 PM

Re: Ugh...

As Miguel gets older I for see this issue in our future. See how many extra classes she can do. See if she can go "part-time" with lunch, a study hall, and a bunch of extra classes. That way she'd be able to have best of both worlds.

You could also explain that you want to do it your way this year and wait for full-time in High school. You may also want to try girl scouts, "after" school volunteering w/ friends, or something like that. You can also try half year and pull her out if it's not working.

I would sit down with her and find out what she thinks school will give her that she doesn't have now and look at non-school based options to fix it.