JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Considering Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2056027-considering-homeschooling.html)

BieneMaja July 28th, 2010 03:55 PM

Considering Homeschooling

Hi everyone. I have a 3 year old who I currently "homeschool" Nothing formal. Just try to fit in lessons in a fun way whenever I see an opportunity and a couple times a week, we do work out a workbook. I enjoy this time with my son and he loves it too. My issue is, I am not sure I can handle actually formally homeschooling him, but I don't like many aspects of public school, especially the may tests and long hours. DH and I *could* afford to send him to a parochial school, but that is squeezing our budget. Charter schools are in less desirable areas. Not to sound snobby.

Another thing is that I would love to be able to work a few hours out of the day. So I am wondering how challenging is it to homeschool, and is it possible to work part time and do this. Maybe have the kids do some activity out of the home while I work a couple hours and structural lessons after or before work. I am totally lost everyone. Hope someone can give me some insight.

mommyof2princesses July 28th, 2010 05:06 PM

Re: Considering Homeschooling

I have almost always had some sort of job while homeschooling. We just moved, so I am looking for something right now. We just homeschool afound mommy's hours. If I worked in the am, we did work in the pm. I usually tried to get evening hours so I can school in the am and dh could watch them in the pm. I am trying to find a part time job in a pre school right now so I could work about 4 hours a day. That would give me plenty of time to do school work!

It is definitely doable as i know many homeschoolers who have some sort of job. Really, until they are mid elementary they are only do a few hours (3 or less) of schoolwork a day anyway!

BensMom July 28th, 2010 07:48 PM

I know a lot of homeschoolers (self included) who do things like sales (Avon, Pampered Chef, etc. I do Barefoot Books and could talk to you about that as well). Those are the types of things that can be worked around your schedule. There are some part time jobs out there that are also flexible, but in this market, they're hard to find.

Why do you think you can't handle homeschooling? What concerns do you have specifically?

BieneMaja July 29th, 2010 10:53 AM

Mommmyof2princesses. I was also thinking of working in a preschool part time. I am about to start a self study CDA course.
BensMo, I just thought maybe it involved so much that I would get lost. I am not a very crafty person, or a person who can organize science experiments and such. I do love watching my son learn though and I try to find ways to make him learn things based on what I think interests him. That is why I thought maybe I could handle it, but then those other aspects I mention kind of scared me.

Thank You both for answering ladies. I am actually really thinking of this, just need to convince DH if I actually decide to go through with it.

BensMom July 29th, 2010 12:08 PM

You don't have to come up with anything yourself. Homeschooling isn't new. There's tons and tons of material out there. There's free guides to help you make your own stuff, and there are paid kits that do all the work for you. Don't worry about creativity or organization or any of that stuff. Besides, when you're in a bind, you can come to the ladies of this board for advice. :)

mommytutu July 29th, 2010 05:55 PM

I am the absolute least organized person in the world (and I don't think I am very creative) and we are also homeschooling on a tight budget but we make it work and are loving it! There are TONS of resources simply on the internet that lay it out for you. I get a lot of my motivation and fun ideas from other homeschooling parents, either here or from the hundreds of awesome blogs out there.

You sound like you have the desire and the motivation and just need a little confidence to know that you CAN do it and it really isn't all that hard! :) Well, you can and it isn't! :P