JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   history/geography (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2058223-history-geography.html)

IsraelSofiaMalachi&baby July 30th, 2010 02:57 PM

history/geography

what does everyone use?
i ordered the ABEKA for first grade and im not really happy with it-it doesnt seem like enough to learn-at least FOR US.

i would like it to be christian

anyone know of any free worksheets for these subjects online?

THANKS SO MUCH for any help!

*~Amber~* July 30th, 2010 03:11 PM

Re: history/geography

We are using Story of the world 1, we are classical homeschoolers and are doing history chronologically.

in_mommy July 30th, 2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *~Amber~* (Post 21037200)
We are using Story of the world 1, we are classical homeschoolers and are doing history chronologically.

That is what I use as well. We are also using a touch of Around the world in 180 days and then throwing in US history a bit too.

mommyof2princesses July 30th, 2010 07:47 PM

We also used Story of the World in 1st. We mostly liked it. Next year we are doing Sonlight. I like how they teach history and geography through reading great literature.

BensMom July 30th, 2010 08:47 PM

We're doing Mystery of History. SotW is cheaper, and it's written by a Christian author, but the text itself isn't Christian. MoH weaves secular and Christian history together starting with creation and going to modern. It's designed to be done a volume at a time (4 volumes), three times before graduation, so that you've gone completely through history in a methodical, chronological way 3 times. Also, it has activities and worksheets for younger, middle, and older so that all siblings can learn the same material at the same time, but at an age appropriate level. It's a bit pricy, but you only have to order it one time (per volume). SotW is really just for elementary.

If you'd rather make up your own curriculum, what are you looking for exactly? What topics of interest, I mean?

IsraelSofiaMalachi&baby July 30th, 2010 09:43 PM

i have NO idea. i just want them to know what they're supposed to know

mommytutu July 31st, 2010 06:50 AM

We are tenatively planning to use History Odyssey for first grade. We're just now getting into to K so I have plenty of time to change my mind, though. :P

christianmommato3 July 31st, 2010 07:55 AM

now, I ordered 3rd and 5th grade History/geography Abeka for my kids. I think it is great! My previous publisher was not that thorough. Maybe try Bob Jones

BensMom August 2nd, 2010 06:52 AM

I would suggest the library. At first, kids should be learning about the world around them. Start with the community (fire, police, local government, etc.). Branch out to learning cardinal directions, the names of the states, then continents & oceans, and then get children's books that talk about world cultures of other children. Kids like learning about other children their own age and how differently they live. You could even bring in a hands-on element to it by using a globe and eating foreign foods. From the Christian standpoint, you can talk about world religions and why you believe Christ is the correct religious figure to follow (or even begin the journey to prove he's real, etc.... although that one is usually for older kids.... books like "The Case for Christ" and such).

Sandra314 August 2nd, 2010 09:13 AM

We are going to be using Galloping the Globe this year. We are not using all the materials listed in its core list but we were able to get a few books and found alternatives to it. The boys are excited about using it.

I was able to get some Hands on History project books that we can use as supplements with Galloping the Globe.