JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   ABC's for Preschooler (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2297327-abcs-for-preschooler.html)

sarah1up April 7th, 2011 11:48 AM

ABC's for Preschooler

My 3.5 year old son is very interested in letters right now. He's been learning them pretty much on his own by pointing and having us tell him what they are. So I was going to start some letter crafts with him for fun. Anyways, he only knows the upper case letters. I pointed to a lower case "a" and he had no idea what it was. I don't find it an issue that he doesn't know the lower case letters, but I wonder if I should start including the lower case letter with the upper case letter in the crafts we do, or if that is something that would only confuse him and we should get a firm grasp on the upper case letters first. I don't want to overwhelm him, but if that is something that is usually pretty easy to learn together I would give it a shot. I know, not a huge deal, but I was just wondering how everyone else went through it.

*~Amber~* April 7th, 2011 12:42 PM

Re: ABC's for Preschooler

It is fine for them to master the upper case and then move on to lower case but you could teach them at the same time. I really like this ABC curriculum and it does cover a little bit of lower case too.

Confessions of a Homeschooler: Letter of the Week Curriculum

BensMom April 7th, 2011 08:12 PM

There's a school of thought that says all kids should be taught lower case first, since 90-something percent of what we read and write will be lower case. It's supposed to make the reading & writing transition easier. It's interesting that almost everything you find for preschoolers is written in upper case, though! Weird.

Anyway.. no, I don't think it would be confusing to do both. Look at www.starfall.com, www.progressivephonics.com, and www.letteroftheweek.com for more ideas and activities. Those are all free sites.

sarah1up April 8th, 2011 11:04 AM

Thanks for the links and the tips. I didn't figure it would matter either way, but I wanted to make sure. I didn't think about learning the lower case first for reading, but that make sense. I will just include the lower case letters next to the upper case on the worksheets I make and not stress over it. Thanks again!

Frackel April 8th, 2011 01:11 PM

When we first learn we always do both at the same time :D

I've never done all one or all the other though. In fact the schools here do both upper and lowercase at the same time too. I m guessing that after a bit it just flows better. Who knows, lol. It's always worked best for my kiddos. Going back to basically re-teach a letter they already know, in a different form, might be confusing. "But a looks like this..a...not this..A", you know? At least that's my thinking, for younger ones anyway. I know it would throw my kids out of balance to try and teach it like that.