JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Some beginning math help (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2314853-some-beginning-math-help.html)

Candimom2 April 28th, 2011 03:02 PM

Some beginning math help

We are/will be following a Charlotte Mason style of homeschooling and Ethan turns 5 in July, a month before our third baby is due. Technically speaking, Charlotte Mason didn't start 'seat work' until the children were 6 years old but there are curriculums and guidelines to help those who are wanting to do some things before they hit that age.

That being said, I've got almost everything planned out for his 5 year old 'year' except math....We tried Saxon for a while but honestly, I was lazy when it came to opening the lesson and finding out that I was supposed to have made some sort of construction paper chart the night before :p I still have all the manipulatives from Saxon. One site suggested Right Start math. Has anyone tried it? What did you like or not like about it? Would I like it if I wasn't all that thrilled about Saxon? I like that it included some card games and an abacus.

Any other good options?

BensMom April 28th, 2011 03:57 PM

Re: Some beginning math help

RS is completely different from Saxon, yes. It's more hands-on also. I think you'll like it. (I personally only know ONE person who likes Saxon before 4th grade, anyway. I hate it. After about 4th or 5th, it's fine.)

Candimom2 April 28th, 2011 06:10 PM

Whew! I'm not alone, haha!

What about the ones like Singapore? How do they compare?

Alison79 April 28th, 2011 07:27 PM

We use Singapore and my daughter loves it. She really enjoys worksheets so it was a good fit for her. I like that you can quickly move through the topics but if your child gets stuck on a skill they have a lot of suggestions in the teachers manual for games, manipulatives, etc. We looked into RS as well because it was recommended with our curriculum but didn't feel it was the right choice for her style.

Right now we are just about to finish level 1A and she is looking forward to starting a new book soon.

BensMom April 29th, 2011 06:20 AM

A ton of people like singapore. I'm not one of them, but there's one in every crowd, right? :lol: No, seriously... it just didn't work for Ben, that's all. If it works for Daniel, I'd have no problem using it. Singapore is more workbooky, and RS is more hands on. Both are good.

The Studious Mrs P. April 29th, 2011 06:58 AM

We use Professor B Math (also known as Mathematics Power Learning for Children) which just so happens to be what is used in one of the Charlotte Mason based schools used as an example of the philosophy applied in the book When Children Love to Learn.

Candimom2 April 29th, 2011 01:31 PM

Thanks! I'll look into all 3 and try to figure something out soon...

Candimom2 April 29th, 2011 01:45 PM

Wait, so for the Professor B Math, do you buy the lesson plan for online use and then use a workbook also to go along with it??

The Studious Mrs P. April 29th, 2011 02:18 PM

I don't know off hand. I went with the book option, not the CD or online options.

in_mommy April 29th, 2011 07:21 PM

Check out Math Mammoth, she has some samples that you can look at.

*~Amber~* April 30th, 2011 02:27 PM

We use Horizons math and my girls love it, They do very well with it even though it is advanced.