JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Given our recent discussion on teaching styles ... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2334740-given-our-recent-discussion-teaching-styles.html)

Alison79 May 24th, 2011 07:54 AM

Given our recent discussion on teaching styles ...

My co-op board posted this quiz this morning. My score was in the combined rage at 54. That is almost in unschooling range which we aren't, but our curriculum is pretty project and literature based which skewed the score a little bit. DH got a 62 so we are pretty consistent in our styles. Some of the questions weren't worded well so it's not perfect, but still fun :)

Homeschool Views Teaching Style Quiz

BensMom May 24th, 2011 09:29 AM

Re: Given our recent discussion on teaching styles ...

Interesting. I got a 67, but I would've placed myself in the 90's or 100's, I imagine.

The Studious Mrs P. May 24th, 2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Combined Parent & Child Directed:
Parents who choose a combined Parent and Child Directed teaching style feel more confident in their family's ability to decide what's important to study and what isn't. The types of curriculums available for this style involve more hands-on creative activities and also more independent study and thought time. Many times nature and art play a larger role in the lesson plans. There is more emphasis on your child's personal interests and imagination. The use of varied curriculums works best with this type of teaching style.
That's accurate. :D

Butter May 24th, 2011 11:02 AM

84. Quite accurate considering we use Calvert School. We do use classical literature, though.

mommybugnbugga May 24th, 2011 03:22 PM

I got a 76...Combined parent and child directed. Kind of surprised me actually. I figured I would have been with the Teacher Directed or Traditional approach.

Jill0924 May 24th, 2011 08:12 PM

58 - I was really shocked, I think of myself as a "teacher directed" or "traditional" style because of my background in public education. I guess what I don't like about public school pushes me closer to the "child lead" descriptions LOL

in_mommy May 25th, 2011 10:33 AM

I ended up with a 57 and I think that is the right group for us, but I thought I would be on the higher end of it. Interesting poll.

Huckswif22 May 25th, 2011 01:22 PM

I got a 63, which I think is pretty accurate.

I start off my 4 1/2 year old on writing, tracing, puzzle projects, and then leave her to do it alone while I do my own college work or some household chores (this is while my 2 year old is napping). We do flash cards and other things together too of course, but "nap-time" was always "me" time since we had kids, and I'm happy we've been able to keep it that way so I can get more things accomplished.

youngwoman May 26th, 2011 04:40 AM

So, we haven't officially started anything, but I took this based on how I plan to approach our days. Got a 63. Makes sense, I kind of figured I'll fall in the middle of parent & child led.