JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Loving books on tape! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2343423-loving-books-tape.html)

Jill0924 June 5th, 2011 10:50 AM

Loving books on tape!

My girls are only 3 and have been fighting naps. If they don't sleep they are absolute bears come dinner time (not good on gymnastics day when we have to be there at 5pm). I noticed though that when I read to them they laid still and listened even if they couldn't see the pictures. So I brought home all my picture books on tape (cd actually) that I had in my classroom at school (my school kids are done with them now for the year as there are only a couple of weeks left). So far the last three days have been wonderful at nap time! The girls are excited to lay down and listen to the story and love picking out their book. I set it to repeat, and by the 2nd or 3rd go around they are out like lights.

youngwoman June 5th, 2011 03:14 PM

Re: Loving books on tape!

Awww, that's great!

TaraJo29 June 5th, 2011 05:16 PM

Good idea!! I used to have my kids listen to a book on tape every night when they went to bed. It was our "ritual" and helped them to wind down in bed. The only thing that got annoying was they started to bicker about which tape to put in every night "It's my turn to pick... No it's my turn.. Last night you picked Curious George..." etc, etc. :rolleyes: lol

BensMom June 5th, 2011 06:05 PM

I did the same thing when Ben was that age, and I'll start doing it for Daniel soon, too. Works like a charm! Even on days that he didn't sleep, he still had enough down time to recharge his batteries.

Alison79 June 5th, 2011 06:58 PM

Our library has Plaways that have entire books on a self contained device. No CD's, just plug in headphones and go. The kids LOVE them.

Here's a the site that shows what they look like : Playaway® and Playaway View™ preloaded audio and video players

BensMom June 5th, 2011 07:37 PM

Weird! I've never seen those!

tassiegirl June 6th, 2011 02:26 AM

What a great idea! *the books on cds for nap time, I mean!

in_mommy June 6th, 2011 07:34 PM

We do them too, use them for bedtime and occasionally when we just need some quiet time. The older 2 cant go to sleep without them!!

Jill0924 June 6th, 2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaraJo29 (Post 24067217)
Good idea!! I used to have my kids listen to a book on tape every night when they went to bed. It was our "ritual" and helped them to wind down in bed. The only thing that got annoying was they started to bicker about which tape to put in every night "It's my turn to pick... No it's my turn.. Last night you picked Curious George..." etc, etc. :rolleyes: lol

Yeah I am waiting for the bickering to start, so far though they have unanimously picked - must be a twin thing LOL It'll probably happen when they have listened to each one once. By then they'll have favorites.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alison79 (Post 24067931)
Our library has Plaways that have entire books on a self contained device. No CD's, just plug in headphones and go. The kids LOVE them.

Here's a the site that shows what they look like : Playaway® and Playaway View™ preloaded audio and video players

I have seen these. They are really neat. I bought one for a gift for a teen I used to watch. He was blind (and other health issues) and I did respite care for his mom here and there when she needed someone. He loved books on tape and too be read to - it was the perfect gift for him. :)