JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Speaking of testing.... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2344527-speaking-testing.html)

in_mommy June 6th, 2011 07:44 PM

Speaking of testing....

If testing is NOT required in your area, do you test?? If so, what test do you use?

We do not have to test in Indiana, but I have been thinking about testing Whitney just to see where she is but not sure which one I want to go with yet.

Jill0924 June 6th, 2011 08:34 PM

Re: Speaking of testing....

Testing isn't required here. I don't think I'll test the girls when they get older, not state testing anyway. It is one of the reasons I wanted to homeschool - too much pressure and teaching to the test. I plan on keeping a working portfolio of the girl's learning and they will take chapter exams and have assignments to measure their learning.

BensMom June 6th, 2011 09:13 PM

The past two years, I've used Online Reading Assessment, Math Assessment and Supplemental Instruction just so I have an idea where he stands based on state standards, where the weaknesses lie, and where progress has been made. In the future, we'll be using the Woodcock-Johnson, which is also not a pass/fail sort of test. It tells you what grade level a child is working on for each subtest. It's much more comprehensive (and expensive!) than LetsGoLearn. I might use it every 2-3 years rather than every year.

Butter June 7th, 2011 05:20 AM

We are not required to test, but we do the CAT-E Survey every year, once they get to lesson 100 of the grade level. Mainly I want them to get used to the bubbling in scantron, timed sort of test in a low stress environment before they have to take them in a high stress environment (college, SATs, ACT, etc.).

Alison79 June 7th, 2011 07:44 AM

No testing required in TX, but I used the same reading test that Chrystal posted above. I will probably do that yearly just to see progress. Right now math is pretty easy to see where she is, the online program we are using sends a detailed report of what she's working on an the equivalent grade level so I can watch her progression. At the beginning of each year I take a look at what she would be expected to know at our local public school and use that as our minimum standard.

christianmommato3 June 7th, 2011 10:04 AM

I have to do testing or a portfolio each year. I opt for testing. It is worth the $25 a test

RachaelDMommaTo3 June 8th, 2011 01:46 AM

I don't have to do testing while we are stationed in Germany, but we chose to do the California Acheivement Test just for our own records and to get him used to some kind of formal testing.

kalis June 8th, 2011 12:46 PM

No testing required in Illinois and I do not know if we will test or not. Probably will look into the couple of test/surveys posted above to help us get an idea of what level she is working at, but, if so, won't be doing that until grade school age.