JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   off to a good start! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2358158-off-to-good-start.html)

Jill0924 June 24th, 2011 11:06 PM

off to a good start!

Ok, so I haven't actually established any kind of "routine" for school, but we now use a visual schedule, that I draw each morning with the girls to let them know the plan for the day. It has helped me sooo much! The girls are happier because they know what to expect (and they love to cross off stuff after it is done) and I remember to get in everything that needs to be done - including story time :) I also registered the girls with out local library's summer reading program. They will be attending a few fun events at the library this summer and could even get prizes for their reading logs. We have a reading worm on the wall to show how many books we read this summer (we started it on the equinox by chance so I will continue till the actual fall equinox - I think I will do a different reading "chart" type activity for each season too) The girls are loving adding circles to the worm and it already needs to "turn" to go around a picture frame LOL. Tonight the girls explored my parents yard (while I worked on watering the garden for them while they are on vacation). They were so excited to see crickets, grasshoppers, dragon flies, lightning bugs, and even a praying mantis for the first time. Every bug they saw they were asking "what's this one Mommy!?" I think the lightening bugs were their favorite though - they kept asking me if a fairy was "in there" guess they figured something had to turn on the light :lol:

New_England_Girl June 25th, 2011 06:04 AM

Re: off to a good start!

Yay! Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm glad you're all enjoying it :)

in_mommy June 25th, 2011 06:03 PM

Good Job!!

BensMom June 25th, 2011 08:18 PM

You should also look into the workbox system. I started with that when Ben was 3, and he liked it. We've moved away from that, but the concept is the same (we use a checklist.)

youngwoman June 27th, 2011 06:09 AM

Awww, sounds great!

tassiegirl June 28th, 2011 04:57 AM

I love your story about the fairy in the lightening bug! So cute! I love kid's imaginations - my daughter loves fairy stories like that and often makes up stories about what the fairies are doing.

meamommy June 28th, 2011 12:47 PM

Love the worm idea!

Jill0924 June 28th, 2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BensMom (Post 24228414)
You should also look into the workbox system. I started with that when Ben was 3, and he liked it. We've moved away from that, but the concept is the same (we use a checklist.)

I read about that and was very interested! I have been looking for something that would work though since space is VERY limited. I am working on decluttering the house and hoping that will bring a spark of genious for working in the workboxes somehow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tassiegirl (Post 24245638)
I love your story about the fairy in the lightening bug! So cute! I love kid's imaginations - my daughter loves fairy stories like that and often makes up stories about what the fairies are doing.

I have one super into queens, princesses, fairies, etc.... and one who is super into animals (she had already told me she is going to be a verterinarian when she's big like Mommy! :P ) I love listening to all the things they come up with - especially when the mesh their two very different interests!

Quote:

Originally Posted by meamommy (Post 24249511)
Love the worm idea!

It is already going over a picture frame on the wall and the girls are sooooo excited that we reached the top of the picture! I should take a picture to post of it LOL. When we went to the library today they made me bring circles to fill out when we read some books there and they couldn't wait to tell the librarian about our worm.