JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Don't laugh at me, but... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2360958-dont-laugh-me-but.html)

TaraJo29 June 28th, 2011 07:39 PM

Don't laugh at me, but...

I just bought Sonlight again. LOL I bought Core K before (at least that's what it was called a few yrs ago - they changed the names) and then never used the Instructor's Guide more than a couple weeks. I did read all the books with the kids and we have always liked the SL selections, but I don't feel I really "used Sonlight" b/c I didn't use the IG or the comprehension questions as intended.

Anyway, you all know how I had a super hard year this year (I'm sure moving & being pregnant/having a newborn was part of it) and I seriously almost quit homeschooling. My kids hated school this year for the most part, I hated it, it stunk. It has been nothing like I intended our homeschooling experience to be.

I thought about what I intended HS'ing to be like and I always pictured me sitting on the couch with my kids at least some of the time, reading to them, talking, enjoying each other's company. The only thing we ever really liked about HS'ing was when we read the SL books, though we didn't consider it "school" (because it was enjoyable, lol, and I didn't make much effort to tie it into our learning). I really, really hope that this year with Sonlight will turn our HS'ing experience around. I do think the K IG I had before was a little much for my kids' ages at the time and that's why I didn't like it. But I don't think it was THE IG so much as I picked a Core that was a little above their heads right then. I made sure not to make that mistake again.

So I am going to give it a good go this year and start early (not moving in Sept will help!!) and try to stick with the IG until I get good and used to it. So if I start talking about quitting using the IG, or buying something else, for love of my check book and my sanity, please talk me out of it!!! I need to learn to just stick with something until I'm used to it b/c then I know it will get so much easier.

So I ordered Core B today. It does say something that as I was looking through all the books online I couldn't get my kids OFF of me and out of my way so I could see the screen, LOL. They thought the books looked so neat. (I didn't get the same reaction when I was looking at A Beka in the past. lol)

So 1) I think the kids will enjoy the books and so will I, which will hopefully bring some joy of books and learning back into our HS'ing, 2) I think I have a new plan for using the IG (DITCH the giant binder & separate the program into doable 4-6 wk binders, 3) my IG will be laid out for me so I will have to do very little prep, if I can discipline myself to get used to the IG, 4) I found this GREAT Yahoo group called Sonlight Catholic which is for serious Catholic folks who use SL and need info on what protestant materials to drop, how to supplement with Catholic materials, and they are very knowledgeable on the curriculum itself. So that will be a big help to me.

I'm very happy with my choice at this point. Now all I have to buy is Science, & Math. I am even going to try SL's LA again though I said I would never touch it again b/c 1) it's cheaper than the alternative I was looking at, 2) I can photocopy it for my 2nd son, 3) it used the "whole language approach" which makes sense to me, 4) I don't think I gave it a fair shot to begin with b/c, like I said, the whole program was beyond my kids at the time so it was difficult for them. I still think I wouldn't like the LA for the little kids, e.g. "Nat and Mat went tap tap on the lid top." But now that we're beyond that and into normal readers I think the LA might be just fine.

Phew... I'm sure you needed to know all that!!:p

Anyway, I am just relieved that I found something that I think we will enjoy and I have new plan on how to use it. Woo hoo for me!

BensMom June 28th, 2011 08:21 PM

Re: Don't laugh at me, but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaraJo29 (Post 24253203)
... So if I start talking about quitting using the IG, or buying something else, for love of my check book and my sanity, please talk me out of it!!! I need to learn to just stick with something until I'm used to it b/c then I know it will get so much easier...

Ok, we're gonna hold you to that! :lol:

in_mommy June 30th, 2011 02:43 PM

LOL!! We will have to bookmark this post to remind you :)

TaraJo29 June 30th, 2011 06:39 PM

Seriously, please do! :D I told my husband the same thing, lol.

Butter July 1st, 2011 06:37 AM

Good luck :) (Sonlight was a dismal failure for my kids - we used what was then called K, 1, and 2 - core, science, and language arts - but it works well for many people. I hope it is everything you dream it will be for your kids.)

The Studious Mrs P. July 8th, 2011 06:11 PM

I'm posting just to let you know that I read you say that and will join in holding you to it as you have insisted. :D

Congrats on finding something you're excited about.