JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Preschool - how much time? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2376161-preschool-how-much-time.html)

kalis July 19th, 2011 11:14 AM

Preschool - how much time?

How much time a day and how many days a week do you/will you/did you for preschool age?
Right now we are pretty unstructured and I of course have to work around the attention span of an almost 3 year old. We usually do 'school time' 3 or 4 times a week. We do it at different times and varying legths of time. It may be 15 minutes, but if I have plenty of different lessons/activities ready she sometimes will work much longer than that.
We are working just as she wants for now and without a strict lesson plan- in the fall I will be starting Letter of the Week and so will be working with her 5 days a week. I will also continue to use other resources and everyday learning activites. I really don't know how much shool time that will end up being yet.

christianmommato3 July 19th, 2011 12:22 PM

Re: Preschool - how much time?

I say 15 minutes or so a day is fine. I am starting "official" preschool with my almost 4 yr old boy on Monday. While making cookies, he was helping me count and was trying to find squares in the house :) Like you, I am using letter of the week with other resources. we will be making an alphabet mini book each week and a number book... I am trying to get alot of hands on aka messy stuff for him to do.LOL

Butter July 19th, 2011 12:30 PM

Fritz started pre-k around the time he turned 4. We did 2 lessons a day and it took 30-45 minutes a day. Adrian will start pre-k in August or September. He turned 3 in June. I'll be doing one lesson a day with him. I figure it'll take 15-20 minutes a day. Right now I do tot school-ish activities with him for 5-10 minutes a day.

Jill0924 July 19th, 2011 12:50 PM

We are still really unstructured for pre-k. We do little things throughout the day (coloring, arts/crafts projects, story time, counting toys, finding letters in print, some workbook type pages, etc...) and it probably adds up to about an hour, but the girls don't even realize we are "doing school" No activity lasts more than 10-15 minutes. I will be starting a work box system with 4 activities for specific skills - two will be motor based and two academic based each day. I figure academics will be about 30 minutes each day, but we'll probably only do 4 days a week.

*~Amber~* July 19th, 2011 02:06 PM

For actual sit down paper work it would be 15-30 mins a day. All the rest of the learning is play.

IsraelSofiaMalachi&baby July 19th, 2011 02:20 PM

I don't put a time on it. I have papers I want them to do and when they're done with them,they're done with school for the day.

New_England_Girl July 19th, 2011 03:16 PM

I think a lot of it depends on the child. Cassidy would happily sit and do an hour of worksheets and projects at almost 3. But I've heard moms say that other kids are unwilling to sit still even for 15. But I think the norm for structured school time is around 30 minutes a day. I have always done it 5 days a week because she gets wicked bored otherwise, and loves her 'school' routine.

BensMom July 19th, 2011 08:48 PM

I also think it varies widely based on the kid! I didn't do anything formal with Ben until 3.5. By then, he was ready for 30-60 minutes each morning. I'm letting Daniel lead the way this Fall. He says he's ready to do school, but he's more antsy than Ben was, so how much we do really depends on him. Personally, I don't think anything should be required of any child until age 5-6. If they want to sit and do worksheet after worksheet at 3, that's fine. Let 'em! If not, don't. Ben was the worksheet type. I don't think Daniel will be. He learns more by doing and seeing.

The Studious Mrs P. July 20th, 2011 06:15 AM

I'm using a PreK program with my almost 4yo DD and 2yo DS that takes about 20minutes 5 days a week but that varies based on what activities are scheduled, for instance, a drama activity doesn't take as long as an art activity. There is minimal pencil work involved in that time and most days none at all. I do phonics probably 3-5 days a week with DD (beyond the built in 'letter of the week' component of the program) which takes 5-10 minutes extra, depending on her attention span (and this part is only because she has persistently requested that I teach her to read).

tassiegirl July 20th, 2011 07:33 PM

I agree, it depends on the child. As long as there is lots of meaningful conversations, read alouds, singing and variety to play, I think that a preschool kid has a great start :)