JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   What do you do? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2384012-what-do-you-do.html)

amanda_jane15 July 29th, 2011 04:39 PM

What do you do?

When using workbooks do you write in the book? Copy pages? Use an overylay? Hand copy to lined paper? Just curious :)

Butter July 29th, 2011 05:11 PM

Re: What do you do?

We write in them. It's not worth the time, money, or effort not to.

in_mommy July 29th, 2011 05:29 PM

For us it depends on the work book. If it was expensive, then I copy it, otherwise we write in it.

BensMom July 29th, 2011 06:40 PM

Depends. Mostly, we just use the workbooks. Not worth the effort or money.

New_England_Girl July 30th, 2011 10:24 AM

Depends. Some workbooks we just write in. Books that I really like and know I will be using for all my kids, I'll copy. Not full-color ones. That's not cost-effective at all.

My favorite workbooks have just black and white pictures and words, lol. Then they're cheap to just run off however many copies you need and never order another copy.

Alison79 July 30th, 2011 11:02 AM

For our main curriculum we copy the pages because we can use it for the 4 other kids coming up behind Evelyn. For Math workbooks and other less expensive ones I just let her fill them in and will buy each child their own set.

Jill0924 July 30th, 2011 11:16 AM

for now, everything I have I will copy. DH and I hope to have more kids so I plan to reuse them.

christianmommato3 July 30th, 2011 06:10 PM

I just use the workbooks. If you take the cost of my ink plus paper plus the time to print and organize, it is not worth the $5-7 for the book

The Studious Mrs P. August 2nd, 2011 12:53 PM

If it's inexpensive, we use it. There is a point where it's not saving anything to copy it. Not to mention that I eventually came to realize that my time was not worthless and I needed to factor it in when counting the cost.

I do have a couple of inexpensive reproducible workbooks that I copy from or use an overlay with only because they are no longer being published.

Some workbooks for certain subjects start costing $20+ ... those I will probably use as textbooks and have the children write in their own notebooks and photocopy as needed.

kalis August 2nd, 2011 04:12 PM

I have two workbooks that I will just have Thea write in, they have too much color and are larger so would be hard to copy. Plus they are both nice ones that I will enjoy looking back to see her progression over her 1st year of pre-k. But my other basic black and white workbooks I will copy. I probably will use some of the pages more than once for her - tracing, cutting and other concepts and also some good letter and number worksheets. A couple are reproducible books back from when my mom worked in the schools. Don't think they are being made anymore.
I assume I will do the same as she gets older. It will depend on the book.

amanda_jane15 August 3rd, 2011 09:11 AM

Yeh I guess I am thinking more for our Saxon Math...those workbooks are $28 but that is for the year, so I guess I'm just going to have to decide to copy or not...he is first grade so I'm not sure about transferring to notebooks. I don't want him to lose the concept by trying to transfer the work and get lost! LOL