JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Agh, just feel really confused and overwhelmed still :( (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2388624-agh-just-feel-really-confused-and-overwhelmed-still.html)

meamommy August 4th, 2011 10:28 PM

Agh, just feel really confused and overwhelmed still :(

Okay ladies I need help! I feel so overwhelmed still. I kept thinking I had time to figure all this out and it's snuck up on me. We took Miles out of public school mid February of this last year (2nd grade). We didn't do strict school after all the stress he'd been though at school, but did do quite a bit. However, it worries me about do I definitely buy 3rd grade stuff for everything now? How do I know if he's totally ready for it? I am trying to do a little review of a lot of the second grade stuff but I don't want to get too far behind doing that. I still haven't bought everything either. I am planning on getting apologia science for him, he LOVES science and I have heard a lot of good stuff about it. Math I am planning on horizons I like the looks of it as well. Had some language arts/reading stuff given to us and picked up a history workbook because that interests him as well. He still has TERRIBLE handwriting. I am not sure what to do there. I feel like I keep coming here and begging for help lol, I am so sorry! There is just NO support around here, it really sucks.

BensMom August 5th, 2011 04:14 AM

Re: Agh, just feel really confused and overwhelmed still :(

Don't be sorry. That's what this board is for!

I suggest Handwriting w/o Tears.

I think you should get the 2nd half of 2nd grade for Horizons math. Even if you blow through it quickly as a review, it's better than picking up the 3rd grade book, frustrating both of you, and giving up. Horizons is the most advanced homeschool math curriculum I know for elementary grades. It's tough, and it moves quickly.

Really - beg and cry and kick and scream and vent all you want. We're here. We'll help. :D

meamommy August 5th, 2011 08:47 AM

Thank you SO much! Can you buy just the second half? I didn't know that. I liked the looks of it because it's colorful and less "boring". Miles is really good at math, but he gets bored easily.

I have heard a lot about the handwriting without tears, I will look it up. It's like pulling teeth. He writes SO awful. I can write out letters and make him copy them, and he CAN do it. A lot of it is that he wasn't taught how to write them well in K and of course they just pushed him right on along. Grr.

Thanks so much for the help!

BensMom August 5th, 2011 03:17 PM

Horizons comes in a part one and part two workbook. You can buy part two separately. Do you have a Mardel's near you? Or other homeschool store? That's where I go to browse things before deciding what I want. (It's why I'm so familiar with several publishers, because Mardel's is only about 15-20 minutes from my house. I'm on that side of town 2-3x a week anyway.)