JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Field trips (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2524229-field-trips.html)

Erin.minus.thyroid May 7th, 2012 08:20 PM

Field trips

How often do you take your children on field trips?

I live in a big city and I was thinking about getting memberships to some of our local attractions like aquarium, museum, zoo, etc so that we can go visit them as often as we want. I feel like they are great resources for education.

BensMom May 7th, 2012 08:32 PM

Re: Field trips

We did that a lot at first. We don't really have time anymore. It's still worth it to get memberships, though. Most of the time, museums, etc. will have reciprocating membership programs for other places, so that you only have to pay for a membership once. It way more than pays for itself, even though we don't go anywhere as often as we used to. Just going to something 2-3 times a year pays for a membership (even if those 2-3 times are 2-3 totally different locations).

Frackel May 7th, 2012 11:22 PM

We don't live anywhere near anything that a membership would be worth the cost. If we did, and could actually get there(and afford it), we'd definitely do it.

We do go on all kinds of odd outings, one could consider those field trips :D
They usually involve walking, biking, etc... though, lol. We're really limited on what we can do here. I wish we weren't, but that's the hand we've been dealt, so we work with it. When we do get the opportunity to get out and do other things, we definitely do. We're supposed to go to the science museum later this week, but not sure we'll be able to or not. Depends on if we can get a ride out there. If so, we're definitely going. It's a pretty neat place. About the only reason I'd EVER want to live out in Cleveland, or closer to it, would be for the places, like that, lol. (though truth be told I'd rather live, if I had to pick a city, somewhere like Chicago, where it's easier and safer to get around, and just as many places to visit).
I'm still hoping for a visit out Chicago way this summer so we can go to Great America, we have tickets, but who knows if we'll be able to. Tickets to the park won't help if we don't have somewhere to stay(though that can be arranged easily), or train tickets there and back, plus money for spending there, haha.

clouise May 8th, 2012 04:02 AM

I'm a a membership junkie. With a family of six it is often almost as much to buy tickets one time as it is to get the yearly membership. Right now we have passes to the zoo, aquarium, and a children's museum.

*~Amber~* May 8th, 2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clouise (Post 26003637)
I'm a a membership junkie. With a family of six it is often almost as much to buy tickets one time as it is to get the yearly membership. Right now we have passes to the zoo, aquarium, and a children's museum.

This exactly, most memberships pay for themselves in less than 2 visits. for us anyhow.

in_mommy May 8th, 2012 07:45 AM

We dont visit the zoo but maybe once a year and same with the museum, they just are not close enough for us. Now, I do buy a State Park pasd and we do that a lot and we have a national wildlife refuge just 5 minutes from us and we are there a couple of times a week. Whitney is going to be completing their jr ranger program this summer there.

2pinks&ablue May 8th, 2012 04:25 PM

We don't live close enough to anything to pay for memberships, but we have been trying to do "field trips" at least every couple of weeks.