JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Where do your kids do their work? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2537307-where-do-your-kids-do-their-work.html)

clouise June 9th, 2012 07:10 PM

Where do your kids do their work?

Do you have a dedicated school room? Do they work at the kitchen table? Or are they anywhere and everywhere with their work?

I thought we would just work at the kitchen table, but I now I am really considering clearing out a room for us to do school in. Actually, I really don't care where they work...I'm sure that'll end up being all over the house. I really just want the school room to have a place to store things. I love the idea of having all of our school-related books, papers, and art supplies in room area. Then I could find them when I needed them, keep the toddler out of them while we're not working, and allow us to just the door and get on with our day when we're through.

If we decide to go through with it, Katy will need to move in with Matt. He doesn't care...he's almost wanted a roommate. The bigger issue is getting her dresser and other things to fit nicely in his room. Both of them have really small bedrooms.

I find myself wishing I had a basement....or just a little extra room somewhere. I'm sure we'll find something that works though.

therevslady June 9th, 2012 08:06 PM

Re: Where do your kids to their work?

Our mudroom has a desk and a large pantry/cupboard type thing that we use for doing crafts and housing homeschool supplies. We also have a bookshelf in the room one room over where our day to day school books are and it has a shelf just for library books so that we don't get those mixed up with our stuff. My daughter usually works that the dining room table. She feels more comfortable there and it's quiet there. We also have a small desk in the dining room with the computer. She does her messy crafts in the mud room. My house is a small city house so everything is close together and we just have to make do with any nook and cranny. It works out pretty comfortably and seems to work with out lifestyle just fine.

Frackel June 9th, 2012 09:18 PM

Umm anywhere and everywhere :D

Leo's fav. place to do math is hanging upside down over the edge of the couch. He says he thinks better that way. Who am I to argue with that logic? It's not my brain, lol.

We don't really have any extra rooms or anything like that. If we did, it would probably just be a place to store stuff, not necessarily learn in. I like letting them choose their environment. I figure as long as they get the work done, their comfort is number one priority. If they screw around(and it has happened) then they have to sit wherever I tell them(sometimes at a table, at the counter, on the couch or floor, etc..). This works really well for them. Being able to find their own little corner, wherever it happens to be, is all part of the process for them.

They've chosen some mighty weird places, but if it works, I say go for it. When it's nice out, we do most of it outdoors. They've still picked some odd places even outdoors though. I used to think they only did that because they thought it was funny(and, really, it was/is). But I've come to realize that most of the time, that's not their motivation. They're simply quirky.

Butter June 10th, 2012 03:50 AM

I put up a folding table in the living room every morning for school. It's a pain. The books are on the shelf in the library. I'm looking forward to our new house... it'll have a school room. I miss having a school room like we did in my old house.

2Corinthians10:4 June 10th, 2012 06:37 AM

Re: Where do your kids do their work?

We do work at the kitchen table, I wish we had an extra room for a playroom/school room but Dh is in the Army so we only get a two bedroom house unless we want to go off post and pay way more per month for rent.

ady's mommy June 10th, 2012 12:04 PM

We have a "formal living room" that we use as the study. My office is in the "formal dining room" so we are across the hall from each other. We don't need a formal living room or dining room. All of her school work and materials are in her study. She has a desk in there and she does work in there, but she also works on the couch, at the island in the kitchen, on her bed, on my bed, outside in her play house, or where ever she wants! She does have a place to turn in her work in the study and I require her to clean up her work, otherwise workbooks and material end up all over the house.

2pinks&ablue June 10th, 2012 03:44 PM

Right now, we're just at the dining room table. We're buying a house very soon though and one of my must haves is a school room, or space to add one. With 4 kids (at least) who will eventually be school-age, we're going to have a lot of stuff!

noworries June 12th, 2012 03:27 PM

Right now, we just use the dining room table. I'm planning on setting up a space in some corner somewhere (we just don't have a lot of room) but haven't made it happen yet.

in_mommy June 12th, 2012 07:26 PM

Well, they each have a school desk which is in our school part of the living room, however those desks are nothing but a catch all place for everyone so it seems. They like to do it on the floor, on their bed, ANY place outside, downstairs, or wherever they feel comfortable at that moment lol.

christianmommato3 June 12th, 2012 08:58 PM

I got some school desks a couple of years ago at a local school auction. I just put those in the dining room. I have a big whiteboard hangning up and I use 2 cabinets in my kitchen to keep the supplies. I have lots of cabinets so it works great for us :)

Jinnah June 14th, 2012 09:24 PM

We have a formal dining room where I teach, and then each child is sent to the desk in their rooms to work on their assignments. My youngest has a desk, but I keep him out in the the dining room (he says he's afraid to work alone in a room, lol). He shares a room with his older brother, but his desk is in the master bedroom, which is apparently scary if no one else is in there.