JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Unschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2540950-unschooling.html)

Earthy.Mama June 19th, 2012 04:16 PM

Unschooling

I tried to search, either there aren't any topics or the search function isn't working for me.

Anyway, I'm curious to see if there are any unschoolers here. We are part of a homeschooling group, most of which are (radical) unschoolers.

We're a bit of a mixture here with traditional homeschooling and unschooling, was curious if anyone else is like this and what you do?

BensMom June 19th, 2012 06:56 PM

Re: Unschooling

Hmm... the search must not be working. We talk about unschooling here many times. (Trying to remember...) I *think* we only have one radical unschooler, but we have several who are a mix of traditional and unschooling.

I prefer unschooling until state law says you have to begin. I guide the major subjects, but I give my kids plenty of free time and decision input to follow their interests as well. I lean more toward traditional, for sure, but I like the idea of mixing a little unschooling in, no matter the age.

2pinks&ablue June 20th, 2012 12:42 PM

We're a bit more traditional (although just starting), but I also try to leave lots of "wiggle room" for the kids to explore their own interests.

therevslady June 20th, 2012 04:10 PM

Most of the people in our homeschool group are unschoolers as well. I used to think we were sort of unschoolish until I met them :p

in_mommy June 20th, 2012 10:06 PM

We are more traditional as well for the most part, but we still have are days where we just need a break from it and we do unschooling.

Frackel June 21st, 2012 09:54 AM

We don't really fit any labels. I do a complete mixture of pretty much everything.

Basically, I do what works best for us, which can easily change day by day, heck even hour by hour :)

Earthy.Mama June 23rd, 2012 02:36 PM

Darn search function :lol:

Thanks for the replies ladies, I like to see a mix of ppl here :)

jhmomofmany June 24th, 2012 04:18 PM

Hi, we are unschoolers in that we do not have the children follow formal lessons of any kind on a regular basis. Every once in a while I get panicky about a certain subject (Math, almost always) and we do "book work" for a couple of weeks. But, then we get back to real life and I let it go again for a while. About the only thing I've ever used consistently is "teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons" for whichever child is ready to learn. Well... I say I've used that "consistently" but not one single child has ever finished the book... we just use it until they are able to read on their own.

It has its drawbacks, for sure. Sometimes I imagine my house thirty years from now, full of adult children who can not get "real" jobs. :p :lol: I do not know anybody IRL who has raised their children this way, yet it seems right for us. The lack of support and information out there is almost scary, though. Whenever you read about people "doing the unschooling thing" they usually have only younger kids.

MountainMomma June 24th, 2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhmomofmany (Post 26202287)
Hi, we are unschoolers in that we do not have the children follow formal lessons of any kind on a regular basis. Every once in a while I get panicky about a certain subject (Math, almost always) and we do "book work" for a couple of weeks. But, then we get back to real life and I let it go again for a while. About the only thing I've ever used consistently is "teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons" for whichever child is ready to learn. Well... I say I've used that "consistently" but not one single child has ever finished the book... we just use it until they are able to read on their own.

It has its drawbacks, for sure. Sometimes I imagine my house thirty years from now, full of adult children who can not get "real" jobs. :p :lol: I do not know anybody IRL who has raised their children this way, yet it seems right for us. The lack of support and information out there is almost scary, though. Whenever you read about people "doing the unschooling thing" they usually have only younger kids.

Ohmygosh! This is me! lol

We just pulled my kids out of public school in January, and we have mostly been unschooling since. We did use a couple textbooks from the public school for a while but the unschooling/letting the kids do their own thing works so well for us that I haven't been forcing them into the books.