JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Planned Week One (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2551059-planned-week-one.html)

clouise July 19th, 2012 07:30 AM

Planned Week One

It really took a long long time too. I'm kind of wishing I had to just bought a box curriculum of some sort...who has the time for all this? I'm hoping it'll go more smoothly once I actually get started though. I any case it feels good to have at least the first week all planned out and organized.

Butter July 19th, 2012 07:54 AM

Re: Planned Week One

Is Oak Meadow not boxed? I was under the impression it was already planned out? A big reason we use Calvert is because it is open and go. I was getting seriously burned out planning for two kids plus tot school for two. Since Ani'll be in high school in the fall I'm back to planning for her, but just planning for one and having open and go for the rest is working out okay (and a few things already have plans for me to follow so that lowers the amount of work I have to do).

BensMom July 19th, 2012 09:08 AM

*raises hand* I'm of the weird species who actually enjoys planning! :lol:

I'm sorry it's more of a pain than you expected, though. :(

2Corinthians10:4 July 19th, 2012 10:01 AM

Well congratulations on getting it done! Lol. I'm kind of in the middle where I pick curriculum pieces that are preplanned (HWoT, Horizon Math, Hooked on Phonics) but I also like to plan other areas such as science experiements, cooking, and things like that. It takes a lot of the pressure off to not have to plan everything but still have leniency. If that makes sense.

2pinks&ablue July 19th, 2012 12:12 PM

I'm also one of those crazies that like to plan :lol:

clouise July 19th, 2012 12:23 PM

Oak Meadow is really not boxed. I was kind of under that impression too, since it covers all the subjects. It's done very loosely though. Like for math it says "Review multiplication tables and place value to the thousands during week one." No schedule, no problems, no tips. And then for reading, the first book is assigned over a four week period...once again no schedule or preset work to do with it. They are supposed to do a lot of drawing and written responses on their own.

BensMom July 19th, 2012 01:06 PM

I guess the advantage is that you're able to make the curriculum your own and work within your schedule? :shrugs:

*~Amber~* July 19th, 2012 01:40 PM

I too love planning but finding the time to do it it's distractions is not so fun. I too was under the impression that oak meadow ws planned out.

clouise July 19th, 2012 03:09 PM

Well it took me four hours to plan one week. For three kids, so that does take extra time I guess. I feel like in about five hours I could have planned the entire thing without Oak Meadow, and saved quite a bit of money. Lesson learned!

aect-mama July 19th, 2012 03:23 PM

This is good feedback for me since I was considering Oak Meadow for Mercy. But *I* need more structure/guidance than that. Especially with math.

Sorry it isn't what you were hoping for but hopefully your kids will enjoy learning with it.

clouise July 19th, 2012 03:59 PM

I think the kids will enjoy it. It's a nice program, just not quite what I had in mind. We're going to give it a shot anyway.

bookworm16_2000 July 19th, 2012 05:06 PM

Are you planning on paper or using a website?

I found Homeschool Skedtrack. It is a bit tedious to type out each activity but if the activity doesn't get checked off it passes to the next school day. Since I'm creating my own curriculum, I put in the URL of the page I need (activity, worksheet, idea) and then can add any necessary info I need.

I enjoy the planning but that was my favorite part of teaching!

Good luck!

christianmommato3 July 19th, 2012 07:08 PM

yeah on accomplishing week one..
I am another one that loves to plan :cool:
I take one day and plan for all 3 kids. I do 6 weeks at a time.