JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Last day of July (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2555513-last-day-july.html)

clouise July 30th, 2012 10:23 PM

Last day of July

Can you believe it? This summer has really flown by for me. I can't believe it is August. In my mind August is really the end of summer because we always been back to school the first week of August when I was a kid. Where we live now the public schools go back August 20th. All the uniforms, school supplies, etc are on the shelves now. I am off the hook with the uniforms this year of course, but I need to get some school supplies while they are on sale.

It's also "sign-up time" around my house. It is shaping up to be an expensive month as I pay all the fees for the activities the kids will do between now and Christmas. Beth and Matt are playing soccer this fall and taking swim lessons, Beth and Carrie are taking dance lessons, and Beth, Matt, and Carrie will be going to AWANAs at church. Sweet little Katy will still be home with me.

How about you? Anything new on the agenda for August?

Butter July 31st, 2012 06:47 AM

Re: Last day of July

Ani says we are going back to school in August (28th, day after the public schoolers go back). I say we're waiting until the day after Labor Day. Strange argument, huh?

I'm diligently working on Ani's first month of 9th grade lesson plans. Makes me appreciate Calvert even more. We still have to decide if we're going to put the kids in swimming lessons in the fall or not.

christianmommato3 July 31st, 2012 03:37 PM

We start back on the 14th. We school year around with July off for camps :) I will be spending next week doing lesson plans and getting everything ready for the new year :)

bookworm16_2000 July 31st, 2012 04:10 PM

We start back on August 6, the same day as public schools around here. We have a couple of things to get for back to school tomorrow and I have a folder full of printing to get done (one of the things we need is ink for the printer!). Allison is too young to play sports or join activities but our local HS group is planning to co-op PE, Art, and Music and I might be teaching one of the PE classes.

Erin.minus.thyroid July 31st, 2012 11:06 PM

DS's old school went back last week. so im feeling behind. Public schools here go back in 2 weeks though. Im thinking maybe next week we'll start. Im not really ready but i guess i'll figure it out as we go

BensMom August 1st, 2012 07:13 AM

PS here go back on either the 20th or 27th, depending on the school. We're starting back the 13th. We have VBS the week of the 6th (which I'm still not finished preparing for... I'm teaching!). We've already bought school supplies, but I still need to buy clothes while they're on sale (especially clearance summer stuff for next year).

In my mind, summer is over. We went to Six Flags yesterday, and that was the last big sha-bang of summer. August means we're getting down to business. ... which I like.

(Although, we're planning to do some sort of weekender family vacation in Sept when PS is back in session. ;) )

noworries August 1st, 2012 07:50 AM

We won't be starting until early September since my son's birthday is at the end of August and I want to get that done before we start school. So, I need to start getting prepared for school. We are not doing any kind of curriculum or anything this year (my DD is just going to be doing Kindergarten) but I need to start putting together some kind of game plan.

youngwoman August 2nd, 2012 07:36 AM

I'm aiming to start after Labor Day, but it's certainly possibly we could start earlier depending on how quickly I get my act together. :) I'll probably sign Leah up for another 6 week dance session, but I don't think that begins until October. I need to double check.