JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Not Back to School Tomorrow (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2565923-not-back-to-school-tomorrow.html)

Butter August 26th, 2012 01:13 PM

Not Back to School Tomorrow

Tomorrow is the first day of school for our county. We have a tradition that we never do school on the first day of school for the local kids. This year we're going to Build-a-Bear in the morning and have lunch at Ruby Tuesday. Ani's in Florida for another 2 1/2 weeks (she and my mom are staying with my aunt because my uncle passed away last week) so it's just me and the three boys (we promised Ani we'd take her to Build-a-Bear after she gets back from FL). Fritz has a Build-a-Bear bear from a birthday party he went to in March so he's going to pick out an outfit for his bear. He's especially interested in getting his bear shoes. The other two boys will get a bear each and maybe a t-shirt for it to wear.

Today at church the boys in Cameron's class were talking about how school starts tomorrow. Cameron said that means he gets to go to Build-a-Bear. The boys said they wanted him to take them with him. Cameron just laughed. There's got to be some perks when you homeschool, right lol

2pinks&ablue August 26th, 2012 02:27 PM

Re: Not Back to School Tomorrow

Sounds like fun! That's a neat tradition- we won't be having school on the first day of PS here either most years, but that's because it usually falls on DD's birthday (we have decided that birthdays are holidays) and this year it falls on my EDD so we will already be on break for a few weeks :)

Irish_Wristwatch August 26th, 2012 02:58 PM

what a cute idea! i like it. Here a local homeschool group does a not back to school picnic

Butter August 26th, 2012 05:47 PM

We declared all birthdays holidays here, too.

ady's mommy August 26th, 2012 06:55 PM

We also declare all birthdays holidays! We don't start school until the Tuesday after Labor Day. Everyone else is going back tomorrow and we are headed to the movies instead!

2Corinthians10:4 August 26th, 2012 07:48 PM

I think that sounds like a great tradition! We are still on the fence about whether we are going to do a traditional school year or year around schooling. We started our school year last Monday though but the public school's started July 31st :o

BensMom August 26th, 2012 08:19 PM

Sounds like fun! Birthdays are out for us, too. The kids in Ben's Bible class were moaning and complaining today about going back to school tomorrow. He laughed at them as well. :giggle:

youngwoman August 27th, 2012 04:55 AM

Awesome tradition!

bookworm16_2000 August 27th, 2012 06:51 PM

Sounds like fun! Our group does a not back to school playground day.

Countrymom4 August 28th, 2012 08:18 AM

We are going with our home school group on a picnic !!

ultrarun71 August 28th, 2012 09:18 AM

Public school here started last week, but the girls old private school starts on the 4th. The 4th is Emelie's birthday so we are planning a day out to do a fun activity.

Sounds like your kiddos are going to have a fun day. Two more advantages to homeschooling are staying in your PJs and taking vacations off season.

beccasmom7718 August 28th, 2012 02:42 PM

our homeschool group is going camping :) and having a picnic with a homeschool group by where we are camping :) it should be awesome