JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Do/Will you teach sports? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2584660-do-will-you-teach-sports.html)

BensMom October 15th, 2012 05:34 AM

Do/Will you teach sports?

Do you think it's important for kids to have an understanding of most regionally popular sports rules? If your child isn't enrolled in something like basketball, football, soccer, etc., do you teach them the object of the games and some basic rules (even if it's just by watching games on TV)?

Irish_Wristwatch October 15th, 2012 06:38 AM

Re: Do/Will you teach sports?

i would if my child was interested but as far as gym goes we will just play at the park, go for walks ect and enroll them in some organized sport, im not very athletic

alittlelost October 15th, 2012 07:00 AM

I'm not big into sports and neither is husband, but we do teach them these things when we play for fun in the backyard or at the park. We're not very competitive about it. DD is a gymnast though so she gets a lot of sport structure and competes.

clouise October 15th, 2012 08:28 AM

My kids play sports in the community. Right now they're both in soccer, and I'm coaching Matt's team. We watch games here and there too, so they have a basic understanding of most sports.

Countrymom4 October 15th, 2012 01:09 PM

I don't teach sports rules, but the kids do play sports. The girls figure skate, have played hockey, soccer, baseball, tae kwan do, gymnastics and I think thats all

Frackel October 15th, 2012 02:32 PM

I don't necessarily think it's important to understand them, unless you're interested in them, want to know them, etc...
My kids don't participate in organized sports, they're just ridiculously priced. We also don't watch sports on tv. But we play outside, a lot. So they understand the basic rules because of that. It's not something "planned" or anything like that though. It's just general play.
Our PE doesn't actually have anything at all to do with sports, as far as teaching "gym" is concerned. We focus more on body/health and things that fall in that category than playing sports. Any sports we do are purely playtime.

Eowyn October 15th, 2012 06:14 PM

Niether Dh or I are very into sports.
If the kids are interested in joining a team we will do the best we can to get them involved in one. DD takes ballet in the summer and DS will probably try out soccer next year and I teach them both Tae Kwon Do at home and I think when theyre older they might be interested in going to a martial arts school but that is up to them. I would be surprised if they showed interest in joining a team when none of the family or friends in our lives are sports type of people.

therevslady October 16th, 2012 06:09 AM

I don't go out of my way to teach it. They play soccer. We watch football and baseball on TV and my daughter asks a lot of questions about the rules and stuff while we watch. We teach as much as they want to know. That's about it.

2pinks&ablue October 17th, 2012 10:49 AM

It's not something I plan to teach, no. However, if they're interested in it it will study it. My older two play soccer so they have a general understanding if that, Alyssa dances, and Rylan loves to go to hockey games and watch it with us, so he has a basic understanding of hockey as well.

ultrarun71 October 18th, 2012 06:07 AM

I don't teach the sports as part of a program, but they pick the rules up as they either play or watch the sports. My husband is a college football fan, so lately they are learning about football. I'm a distance runner, so my oldest runs with me. She is learning the tactics of running a smart race. They both understand good sportsmanship, and that is a major key to being a good respected athlete.

Nancy

bookworm16_2000 October 18th, 2012 06:17 PM

Part of our co-op PE class is sports introdution- right now the kids are learning soccer. In the spring they will learn how to throw/catch a ball along with general health lessons.