JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Travel & Errands (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2587037-travel-and-errands.html)

BensMom October 21st, 2012 12:11 PM

Travel & Errands

When you have things that YOU need to do, and you know they'll take all day to finish, do you schedule school work that your kids can bring in the car and do independently, or do you skip the school day?

What about when you travel out of town? Do you bring work with you, or are all travel events done because of vacation?

clouise October 21st, 2012 06:37 PM

Re: Travel & Errands

I don't ever bring anything with us. Matt gets car sick and can't read or write in the car. And I just think they'd be too distracted when we are out and about. I plan four days of school a week, so that leaves one extra day for a field trips or to run errands. If we have several busy days I just hit the basics. They can get everything I really want done for school in about two hours, and most days we can find at least two hours to work.

ady's mommy October 21st, 2012 07:16 PM

I try to leave the school days to school and run errands when Ady is done or when she is in a class somewhere. If we are taking a vacation we don't do school work but if we are flying somewhere I will bring work for her to do during take off and landing.

BensMom October 21st, 2012 07:29 PM

The kids have various activities, and I run a business, so we're constantly on the go. Ben takes school work with him (I schedule things that are written or computer for home days and reading for out days). If we're on vacation, I don't take school work (unless they ask). When we're on a trip for work or something, I'll bring school along.

Frackel October 21st, 2012 08:23 PM

Depends entirely on what we're doing, and why. I don't drive so errands really aren't an issue. We only do those when we have someone to take us. Once a week it's grocery shopping, or any other minor and it's done either in the evening, or on Sunday. So school wouldn't be a problem. We don't really have any other errands. We're homebody type people :)

Our "vacation" is once a year when I go on a trip and they go to my mom's. They only do schoolwork if it happens during the school year. This year we started school a few weeks early so they could take that month off entirely. Last year it was during October so they did work at my mom's. If they are on a break or something from school, they wouldn't be doing work anyway.

I wouldn't make them do work in the car or something while we're out. It just wouldn't work very well for them. Like I said, we don't really get out much, we have no need to worry about it.

Irish_Wristwatch October 22nd, 2012 03:02 AM

my kids are still too small, but i would just have them do school in the evening instead or make it up another day

if we were ahead and could afford to skip the day, i would just give them the day off

ultrarun71 October 22nd, 2012 07:07 AM

Yes, we take school work with us. My kids do well with doing work on the go, but they don't do work in the car. They do work at each others activities, and any appointments. We take work on vacations too, mainly math, reading and history.

Nancy

Butter October 23rd, 2012 05:52 AM

We don't take schoolwork with us. I schedule most errands and things after school (we finish around noon). If it's something that absolutely must be done during school hours, I cancel school for the day. The older two have braces and I schedule tightenings (which only happen every 6-8 weeks) for morning. We do some school before we leave and finish up when we get back. We're only gone maybe an hour for those.

Vacations are no school times. We were off a week two weeks ago because we went to PA. We'll be off a week at Thanksgiving because we're spending a few days in Williamsburg. We'll be off 5 weeks in March/April because we're going to the British Isles for a month. Because of the 5 weeks in the UK and Ireland, we won't finish the school year until early August, but no biggie. We'll just split 2 months of summer break into one awesome overseas vacation and one month at home.

2pinks&ablue October 23rd, 2012 07:57 PM

So far we haven't been taking things with us, I just plan for so many "off days", but I'm sure that will change as my kids get older.

bookworm16_2000 October 24th, 2012 07:54 AM

We're on the go all the time so Allison does school before we leave and after we come back. If we're gone all day, she gets what she can done early and the rest can wait until tomorrow. If we're on vacation, I'll bring work if she wants to do it but if she doesn't, her requirements are reading daily.

christianmommato3 October 24th, 2012 09:29 PM

we school in the evenings or we just make it up

docsmomma October 25th, 2012 08:03 AM

If its a scheduled day of errands, we only bring school with us if we will be sitting in waiting rooms. But for those unscheduled trips to hospital or clinic, I have my back up plans... Lapbooks I keep in my van specifically for this. Its often "bonus" work, stuff they want to do, and can do independently. We recently did one on space where the kids could "build" the solar system in the van. I also have educational CDs i keep in my van that they love. Plus we keep chalk, chalkboard, sponge pieces, and water in the van for writing and drawing practice. If we will be going to a doctor in LA, i plan field trips instead... Art museums, zoo, science.center, etc... That way they have somrthing to look forward to. Our next LA trip will bring us to the La Brea Tar Pits.

The Studious Mrs P. October 26th, 2012 09:43 AM

We are not always on the go. We also school year round at the moment. Those things being the case, we currently never experience any necessity to take school with us anywhere if something does come up or to make up for the lost day.

Countrymom4 October 26th, 2012 09:09 PM

We work in the mornings, then we usually head to town for errans and activities after that. If it is an all day thing we skip school. Vacations no school, except our start school trip. School pools side !!

acupofjoe October 27th, 2012 05:01 PM

Just getting into this so its still all very new but I dont think I will take anything on errands. We dont go on vacations etc so not worried about that.

therevslady October 28th, 2012 06:01 AM

I try not to run errands with the kids in tow. I usually try to schedule my errands around my husband's schedule. He has a good portion of Thursdays and Fridays off. So I'll leave work for the kids to do while I'm out. If it came down to it and I had to take the kids with me, we don't bring any work. It's hard enough for me to keep up with the kids and keep them alive and in check while out, let alone try and do work as well. 4 kids (three of them three and under) can be a load to handle, lol.