JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   New and lost... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2612468-new-and-lost.html)

PinkFireFly January 7th, 2013 10:08 PM

New and lost...

Hi I'm Kelly, mom to one DD...

I want to start homeschooling my daughter in preschool... I don't even know where to begin with it all...

What would be a good curriculum for preschoolers? I am into Montessori theory as well....

bookworm16_2000 January 8th, 2013 10:25 AM

Re: New and lost...

Hi! I'm homeschooling my precocious preschooler (almost 3). I do my version of Montessori. She picks the activities to complete everyday, I have an idea in my head of what we will cover that week or during the month but it's her choice as to what we will do each day and how long we will work. The easiest "curriculum" at this early age is the all in one workbooks you find at Sam's Club/Costco. I will move into a more formal curriculum as she is more school aged. These give me a format to follow for days she wants to do "book work" but we also have letter magnets to practice letter recognition, we play I spy for colors and shape recall, we count every thing to practice numbers... She is involved in daily activities of our house, she helps me cook meals (pouring and mixing mostly), cleaning up her plate after a meal, and keeping her toys picked up.

Much of the Montessori concept is child led, allowing the child to explore concepts at their own pace/way (I have seen Kindergarteners who have the concept of multiplication and division down). I used to teach at a Montessori school (elementary and middle school aged kids, so I have no experience with preschoolers!) and realized something must work because I had middle schoolers arguing over who got to sweep the classroom at the end of the day! That's unheard of with that age :)

My advice is to hang around here, ask lots of questions, and not to worry! I don't see a need to spend much money on a preschool curriculum, especially if you are using the Montessori method. Early school is more about exploration of ideas and the world around them!

BensMom January 8th, 2013 01:16 PM

WELCOME!! You really don't need to spend money on anything at the preschool level. There is a ton of free stuff on the internet and in most communities (library, etc.). Starfall's Learn to Read with phonics is great for reading & math, for example.

As for Montessori-based curriculum, google something like Mommy, Teach Me!; Mommy, Teach Me to Read!; and/or Oak Meadow. I don't know much about any of these personally, but they've been referred to me by people who use that approach.

mamaquiltthief January 8th, 2013 04:02 PM

Welcome! Try and keep things play based for preschool and lots of "work" like montessori describes. I'm really interested in Montessori too, I would love to see how you approch your preschool teaching.

2pinks&ablue January 8th, 2013 06:10 PM

Welcome! I have two kids in "school" right now, kindergarten and preschool. The only curriculum I have purchased so far is hooked on phonics and Explode the Code. Other than that, we've been doing our own thing. We do a lot of reading and play-based work, along with some workbooks, printables, file folder games, etc. You can find pretty much everything you need online without jumping into spending a lot of money on curriculum :)