JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Book Suggestions (OT) (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2629663-book-suggestions-ot.html)

jhmomofmany February 26th, 2013 02:59 PM

Book Suggestions (OT)

Here lately I am so on top of things and well organized that I find myself with tons of free time. Figured I need some good books to fill that time with. OK, I'm lying about that first part, but I do love to read. :) Problem is, I'm having a hard time finding books that really hold my interest. Either I'm getting pickier or newer novels are getting less great. Or I'm just picking out the wrong ones.

Anyway, I'm guessing ya'll are a pretty well-read bunch, so thought I'd ask you what you have read lately that you would recommend. :)

BensMom February 26th, 2013 05:32 PM

Re: Book Suggestions (OT)

:lol: I'm honestly not much of a reader. I read kids' books, I enjoy classics (which I have no time for), and I sometimes read things like medical or psychology subjects. Right the moment, I'm reading a book called Asperkids, because my oldest has Asperger's.

UniqueHandle February 28th, 2013 08:56 AM

Right now I am reading Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing. :)

Last book I read was Jenny McCarthy's new book.

2pinks&ablue February 28th, 2013 02:09 PM

I'm mostly reading information type books lately, right now I'm reading "The Well-Adjusted Child".

jhmomofmany February 28th, 2013 03:34 PM

Really, ya'll? I'm a bit disappointed. ;) :lol:

therevslady February 28th, 2013 04:45 PM

Haha. I read textbooks and theology. My friends always know never to ask me what I'm reading.

Whenever I am looking for "fun" reading, I go to the library and let the librarian pick for me. She's great at it! She usually picks historical fiction for me and I always love the books she chooses. But I have't done any fun reading in a while.

Genipher March 3rd, 2013 08:13 PM

Hey, if you're still looking for books to read, I can suggest some good authors. I LOVE to read.

If you're looking for suspensful/border-line horror/mystery then you might like some of the books by Ted Dekker or Frank Peretti .

Simple, pioneer books? Try Janette Oke.

I absolutely love Karen Hancock. The first book I ever read by her was called Arena and I could not put the book down. After I finished reading it, I remember laying in bed just thinking about the characters and what might happen to them in the future. Karen Hancock certainly has a knack for drawing the reader into the story!

Liz Curtis Higgs has an interesting series called The Lowlands of Scotland. The first book in that series is called Thorn in My Heart.

I recently re-read the Chronicles of Narnia, just for fun. And sometimes I like to re-read the book 1984 just to rile myself up. :p

Hope that helps!!

jhmomofmany March 4th, 2013 12:42 PM

Genipher, thank you! That gives me some good ideas. :)

Every time I've asked the librarian she has picked something I didn't really enjoy. I guess her tastes are exactly opposite mine.

Genipher March 4th, 2013 03:54 PM

We've gotten that with movies. We'll be told how awesome a movie is and then my husband and I are shocked at how stupid or vulgar it is. Blah.

Anyway, I'm glad I could give you some ideas. Just be careful if you decide to read 1984 since it has some sex scenes in it...

jhmomofmany March 4th, 2013 07:56 PM

Thank you for the warning, I have read 1984. That was one I was supposed to read in high school and never did for whatever reason... So glad I was able to read it as an adult and form my own opinion!

Genipher March 4th, 2013 10:39 PM

I usually skip over the sex parts in 1984. What interests me most is how Orwell predicted the future would be compared to what's happening these days.

Oh, another author I enjoyed was Neta Jackson.