JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Tomorrow is box day! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2636596-tomorrow-box-day.html)

BensMom March 21st, 2013 09:30 AM

Tomorrow is box day!

I always get so excited when new curricula shows up at my door! :cheer: Tomorrow is next year's history ... Notgrass America the Beautiful complete set. Can't wait!!

I still need to order a couple of things from Rod & Staff, but I'll do that over the summer, probably. Anyone else buying something soon?

Erin.minus.thyroid March 21st, 2013 01:23 PM

Re: Tomorrow is box day!

no box day for us right now because I shopped in an actual store (yep a homeschool B&M store!). I picked up some Life of Fred, Handwriting without Tears and Draw, Write, Now books.

BensMom March 21st, 2013 05:56 PM

Where did you go? I usually go to Mardels, but I had a coupon, so it ended up being cheaper to go directly through Notgrass.

LABs March 21st, 2013 08:33 PM

Enjoy your box day! I don't plan any orders for awhile. I stocked up last time. We are nearly done with our second of three math workbooks I ordered. Our curriculum was a big step up from last yrs, so we went 1/2 speed a lot. We'll go into Fall I'm sure. I'll need more math before then I think.

Frackel March 22nd, 2013 11:41 AM

Box days are always so much fun :D

Nothing new here. Next year we're going with almost entirely free resources found, both online and off. It's been a lot of fun planning. The kids having a huge hand in what we decided to go with has been interesting to say the least. Like a mini adventure, hehe.
We're hoping to keep cost to only actual supplies. There's actually a specific reason for it, but I can't explain it to anyone just yet, lol. It's pretty cool though :)

2pinks&ablue March 23rd, 2013 07:27 AM

I need to order "Get Set for the Code" and "Go for the Code" for DS, and Hooked on Phonics- First Grade for DD. Other than those, we're using mostly unit studies, printables, etc.

Genipher March 23rd, 2013 09:54 AM

The Handwriting without Tears looks interesting. Right now my 6-yr-old son HATES his writing lesson (from Abeka). I might try this and see if he likes it better.

Frackel March 23rd, 2013 09:56 AM

We love handwriting without tears. I haven't found too many people that disliked it, or couldn't use it to help their kiddos. Even if modified slightly, it's extremely helpful for kids who either struggle with writing or really just don't like doing it.

We had to modify some things, but for the most part, ds had huge success with it. When my 3 yr old niece comes over she uses his old books(we didn't do every single page in them) and she seems to like it too even though she's not really ready for that kind of thing yet.

BensMom March 24th, 2013 06:10 AM

We like HWT, too.

Erin.minus.thyroid March 26th, 2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BensMom (Post 27218034)
Where did you go? I usually go to Mardels, but I had a coupon, so it ended up being cheaper to go directly through Notgrass.

The store is called Homeschool Hangout and its in north Atlanta. Was a pretty nice little store. I'm not familiar with Mardels or Notgrass for that matter. LOL I havent actually ordered any homeschool curriculum before so this is still new to me.

2Corinthians10:4 March 27th, 2013 05:33 AM

I love box days! I will be ordering our curriculum for next year right before I go back to Hawaii so I have something to look forward to in the mail shortly after we return. I am still trying to pin down our 1st grade curriculum too. So far we just have the first grade HWoT and I think we will use pandia press for history and science.

bookworm16_2000 March 27th, 2013 04:24 PM

We are getting ready to order our curriculum for next year during AOP's April sale and while Rainbow Resource Center is still doing free shipping over $50 for the rest. We are looking forward to getting next years curriculum!

On a side note- Allison is reading! She has been working on sight words since August and not really getting it. She has really improved in knowing what sounds letters make and hearing beginning and ending sounds (she is a pro in the last couple of weeks).

Yesterday, we were watching Super Why and they got to the part of the show where they have to change the story by changing a word. I don't think she is paying attention most of the time but she hears the sentence and sees the 3 words. She tells me they need to change it to "in" not "under or through" (those were the 3 words on the screen and Whyatt hadn't read them yet! I was amazed!

BensMom March 27th, 2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin.minus.thyroid (Post 27232902)
The store is called Homeschool Hangout and its in north Atlanta. Was a pretty nice little store. I'm not familiar with Mardels or Notgrass for that matter. LOL I havent actually ordered any homeschool curriculum before so this is still new to me.

Mardel's is a chain bookstore that is half Christian (Bibles, books, decor, etc.) and half homeschool (curriculum, supplies, teacher stuff like borders, posters, and tiny prizes).

Notgrass is a Christian publisher of middle & high school social studies content, mixed with some Bible and literature. They're not a complete curriculum company. You can find them in stores like Mardels or online.