JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   wanting to homeschool (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/2659709-wanting-to-homeschool.html)

ChicaChels June 18th, 2013 05:59 PM

wanting to homeschool

i want to home school, but im so intimidated by getting started. my daughter is so resistant to learn anything from me, too...but anyone else, she's fascinated by their knowledge :(

She is 3 (almost 4) and starting a private preschool this fall, just 2 days a week...but i'd really like to get a kindergarten curriculum and attempt kindergarten at home when she is 5.

how did you get started?
What state are you in? (I'm in Iowa)
Do you belong to any home school groups? (locally or online?)

We live in a very small town and it's so not conducive to home schooling - there's quite the home schooling community in Omaha, NE, which is about an hour away - and where I grew up, and where I want to live, but my hubbs does not want to leave out here for a long list of reasons...

anyway, im just looking for advice, support, etc? :)

Irish_Wristwatch June 18th, 2013 06:12 PM

Re: wanting to homeschool

I dont really have any advice since we are still very much in the planning stages as well. I just wanted to say Hi and Welcome, it really is intimidating to get started, its still "scary" for me with all the different things out there to pick from

OrangeHope June 19th, 2013 10:17 AM

I there! :smile: I officially started homeschooling my DD last Septermber, she's 4.5 y/o. We are in California, I don't belong to any home school groups (yet).

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicaChels (Post 27458810)
how did you get started?

I bought some kindy/pre-k work books from $tree and school supply stores, Also found a bunch of worksheets, ideas, crafts & activities on pinterest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicaChels (Post 27458810)
i want to home school, but im so intimidated by getting started. my daughter is so resistant to learn anything from me, too...but anyone else, she's fascinated by their knowledge :(

Please don't take it the wrong way when I ask this but I'm wondering how patient you are when you try teaching her new things, or even tone of voice. In no way I'm trying to say there's something wrong with you that she's so resistant to learning but although I am normally a very patient person I had to learn to be so much more patient when teaching Alex and most of all making it fun for her. ;)

Starting kindergarten for the most part is very easy, there are so many online sources for free. Also try the $tree, there are so many puzzles, crafts and activities there. Same with Michael's craft store, although there's no home school section I will buy some crayons, paints and fun crafty stuff for learning.

I have a whole board on pinterest just for home school, it has lots of fun ideas for kindergarten ages, if you are interested let me know and I will post a link. :smile:

ChicaChels June 19th, 2013 03:20 PM

when i tell you i have the patience of a saint, im totally not joking..if i didn't, my 2 year old would've done me in a long time ago :lol: . i never force her. we're SUPER AP parenting - i dont yell at my kids..ever. i just follow her. she just says 'mommy, you are my mommy you are not my teacher" it's not a fight or anything, she just doesnt want to hear what i have to say about things like this

OrangeHope June 19th, 2013 03:51 PM

O.k, in that case that's awesome she can tell you that, all you have to do now is school her but not make it seem like school, make it all fun and games. Children learn so much just from playing and having fun.

Would she be interested in Starfall.com? That's originally how I started with my DD at age 2 and it work extremely well for her.

ChicaChels June 20th, 2013 09:42 PM

i don't let her play on the computer. she would easily get addicted and obsess over it, and im in nursing school and can't spend my time fighting with her about it. she's a tech freak...i have to hide my ipad and my husband's ipad (we rarely use them, i only take mine to school and i play candy crush sometimes after they are in bed) because she would sit and play on it all day.

we do tons of play at home mom activities, but she can write - but she WONT do it for me. i dont ever ask, unless i try to trick her by asking her to write her name on a picture or something so i "know who gave it to me" ... and sometimes she digs her books out and practices on her own, but if i sit down with her or anything - she' s done. it's very strange, because in every other aspect of her life, she is 110% a momma's girl. she's glued to me basically :lol: im sure it's just a phase, and i think maybe she hears me complain about school and it taking away so much time from my family (I try not to talk about it in front of her, but ive definitely ranted a few times)

mamaquiltthief June 21st, 2013 05:17 AM

Hi Chica!

how did you get started? DS is only 3 and a half so we arn't doing anything heavy just reading, singing alphabet, counting things around us. he also LOVES the phonic song on youtube and alphablocks on the cbeebies site. I'm waiting for Kindergarten Oak Meadow package to arrive but I won't start it with him for a while yet. I just wanted to get it to read through and get my head round it :)

What state are you in? (I'm in Iowa) Im in the UK

Do you belong to any home school Groups. Yes I go every other week, DS doesn't get involved in the planned activities but just enjoys playing with the other kids and the toys :)

Sounds like she is quite an independant learner, have you tryed just leaving stuff out for her to descover in her own time? I've found games are a good way to learn too. We love orchard games here :)

bookworm16_2000 June 21st, 2013 08:39 AM

Welcome! I'm Marjorie, mom to Allison (3) and JR (1).

I just wanted to chime in with my answers since I have littles :)

We got started homeschooling with our local homeschool group. I started going so my daughter would have some local friends and I wouldn't always have to drive an hour away for playdates. She made some friends (she tends to gravitate to older kids, they're more on her academic level) and started asking to go to school like her friends. She was only 2.5 so I came up with some easy coloring pages and simple things that she could do. That lasted less than a week before she said it was too easy and she didn't like it! I stepped up the pace and we started doing more of kindergarten type work and she was happy again. We finished what I would consider kindergarten in March. We are doing fun stuff/summer learning right now and will be starting first grade in July!

I'm in Arizona so we don't have difficult requirements, just turn in an affidavit of intent the school year she turns 6. Some states require testing or portfolios or meetings with certified teachers, it all depends.

Good luck on seeing if you can change your daughter's idea of mommy can be a teacher too!

hiskid1324 July 9th, 2013 08:51 PM

When my daughter informed me that I wasn't her teacher because I was her mother, we talked about how many things she learned from Mummy (and Daddy) and how God's plan is that parents teach their children many things. We've talked about how wonderful it is that she has Mummy to stay home with her and how much fun we have at home because we don't have to go sit at school for 7 hours a day.

That said, I also don't think that she necessarily needs to be outright taught much at this age. Playing and investigating outside, reading lots of good books, perhaps learning to identify the letters of the alphabet and count to 20 is really all she *needs* and even that may be a stretch. Have you considered taking a Charlotte Mason approach (a free option is AmblesideOnline.org)? It is very gentle, and yet extremely rigorous. The more I dive into learning about it, the more I'm falling in love with it, and feeling my style of education changing. :)

EmilyBaker August 5th, 2013 10:38 AM

i just wanted to say you guys are really great, im only a new member and i have learnt so much already. although i havent had any kids yet (we are trying atm) i already know that i want to homeschool and i too am really intimidated but i think with plenty of planning and help from everyone, especially reading everyone's response on here, i feel much better, so thank-you :smile:

ZZ0607 August 27th, 2013 08:31 PM

She's right!! You are her mommy, and not her teacher. And you are a family, not a school. And she will learn more from you than from anyone else on the face of the planet. They are watching everything we do all the time! Mine are 7, 5, and 3. You don't even need a K curriculum. Just living will teach them seasons and weather and counting. Reading and writing can be equally gentle, but might need more formal time. But for pretty much everything else they'll learn in Pre-K or K, just talk to them, a lot. What firemen do, what different people in stores do, how the mail gets to the house, on and on and on. If they ask, answer and don't oversimplify. They'll retain what they need to.

You might really enjoy the approaches of unschooling or relaxed schooling. My basic philosophy about homeschool is that we are teaching them how to learn, not what they "need" to know. And in my personal opinion, children can do wonders at a young age simply knowing how to read, write, and calculate. Formal subject can come mid-grade school. They need to play and explore and learn about their world when they're young. And with mine, also learn about chores and such.

I'm in GA, though, and we don't have very strict laws. We don't even have to report attendance anymore! Just a Declaration of Intent each year. I don't buy any packaged curriculum. I started of[f] with a handwriting chart, a ream of writing paper, and a phonics book for K for my oldest. We happened to be in the middle of a period of unemployment at that time and had very little money to spare. It's better now, but still pretty frugal. I try to funnel my money into books; real ones.

I was intimidated at first and we had to switch a lot of stuff around last year because I was trying to be what I thought was "acceptable" instead of what I wanted to be and what worked for us. And that's one of two major keys to homeschooling: you have to do what works for your family in order to have a healthy and successful journey. Every single homeschooling family is different. Don't compare! The other key is realistic expectations. I think it's important to recognize if traditional school is necessary when it's necessary, but a lot of moms make a half-hearted attempt to try it out and then usually quit after a year or less. I have a friend who did that twice. It is a HUGE exercise in perseverance, and most of the benefits are long-term, and there will be bad days! But if the overall goals and methods of your homeschool are still worth the trials, then use that patience you mentioned and press through the tough days (or declare an impromptu field trip or lazy day--some days just weren't made for studying!). I sort of compare it to natural childbirth in a way, for what that might be worth.

So sorry I wrote a novel! I hope all that isn't overwhelming or too terribly disjointed. Whatever you decide, good luck!! Homeschooling is one of those things where it is a different way to do and look at things, but it's not nearly as scary or impenetrable as it appears at first. My biggest struggles personally have been overcoming the school-ingrained feelings of inferiority, as well as balancing the different aspects of our day (chores, meals, study, play, errands). But I love having my babies home with me and being able to see them discover things and teach each other and play their pretend with each other (and yes they do fight, too). But everyone's reasons and journey are different, so again, no comparisons! I'm just sharing my own experiences and thoughts, to be taken with as much salt as you like! :) Best wishes!

KMH August 28th, 2013 10:15 AM

:goodpost: