JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Another question... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/366765-another-question.html)

Kangaroo510 November 12th, 2006 06:04 AM

I'm full of them! :D

Where do you all do your schooling? Growing up I just did my work in the living room or when I was older I had a desk in my room and did it there or on my bed. I know that I want to try to have a special space as our "school room". Mostly because when she's younger I want to give her the experience of the kindergarten and elementary class room. I'm also really organized when it comes to things like this. When she's a little bit older I want her to be able to have a place to do her work uninterupted. By doing my work in the living room when I was younger my dad was always in and out (he's a road builder so he gets laid off every winter) and that made it harder to focas. I just think it would be so cool to have a special little "school room". What do you guys do?

JustAKrazymom November 12th, 2006 01:09 PM

Noah does most of his work in the kitchen, he goes in his room if he needs it really quiet. Declan does it either in the kitchen or on the floor of the playroom or family room.

joandsarah77 November 12th, 2006 01:13 PM

Let me see; on the floor, on her bed, on the coach, out on the back deck, in the kitchen, at the dinning room table, out living life anywhere. :smile:

Ok a question for you, what do you mean when you say "I want to give her the experience of the kindergarten and elementary class room"? To do that you would have to enroll her in a class of some kind, as you wont get that at home. The main experience or impresion I think kids take from a classroom is the number of other children the same age present. I have my daughter enroled in a dance class. partly for socialization (they don't socilaize much though, no time) But more so that she can learn to take instructions from someone else apart from me, and has her own thing away from home. I also hope she will learn a usful skill, has the opertunity to be in concerts and have fun and have a way to keep fit as she gets older. :smile:

On your other post you said you would likly have another little one by then. There is no way with a toddler or baby around that you will have uninterupted time unless the other little one is asleep when you work. Homeschooling can take many forms. Some might be bookwork, but for PreK, K, grade 1 and 2 most kids do better with mostly hands on activities. Homeschooling can look like games, cooking, shopping, just life as well, and little ones often want to be included! It becomes quite a juggling act. The whole dinamics of homeschooling often look nothing like school. To me thats fine, if I wanted her to have a school experience I would have sent her to school. :smile:

I know some people are lucky enough to have a room free to set up for school. it would certainly be great to have a room to store everything in. I can see that being good for older kids who are doing more bookwork too. Just be aware though that kids have there own ideas too Lol. I know someone on another board who was quite excited that they finaly had a room upstairs they could use as a 'school room'. Guess what the kids didn't like it! :lol: so they ended up not using it more then half the time.

JustAKrazymom November 12th, 2006 02:49 PM

LOL..yup.. Noah is 12 so most of his work is bookwork..but I have 3 younger ones and it's an experience teaching Noah and then Declan with the other 2 wee ones around.

Right now even though Declan is only 4.5 any of our structured school time is book or HOP work.. but that amounts to about 20-30 min a day..

Kangaroo510 November 12th, 2006 04:42 PM

Really quick reply here!!

I am all about hands on experiences through all grades. A lot of my math was done at the grocery store! :) What I mean by the 'school room' is when I was little I wanted to have a cubby and a backpack to put in it. I used to have a lunch box and I would get on my bike with my backpack on and ride down the street "on the bus" and come back and hang up my backpack. It was just those little things that I think are fun to a kid. I don't even know how I knew about things like that but I would love to have a little "school room" that we could use as much as possible but I think with homeschooling most of it should be done in the kitchen cooking or experimenting or out in the grocery store adding up the total and learning to budget and comparison shop. I think when I wrote that post it came out sounding more traditional school thinking and structured than I meant it too. I know having another little one around will make it more difficult and during nap times would be when we would do sit down, structured stuff. I do think that is important to a degree because kids need to learn how to sit and focus. Although they only need to do that for a short time. Not for 8 hours like they do in the public schools!
Also, like I said, my dad was home during the winter and he was in and out and it was really disrupting. Thats why I will hopefully have a place that we can go to avoid too many disruptions since Aaron is also home quite a bit (and hopefully it will stay that way).

Ok, I need to go. Dahlia is asleep and I need to get her up cause it's getting late!! I'll be back later ladies!!

KarateMom November 12th, 2006 06:29 PM

We use our diningroom as our school room...or, actually, I should say that we use our schoolroom as our diningroom when we need to have a "formal" dinner!

The table is bumped up against the wall and that's where we do most of our work. I've got two bulletin boards, one which has the calendar and weather on it, one which I use to display things that The Kids have done. We've also got a world map up and different posters I've made for grammar rules and such. Then there are the different pieces of artwork and the fall decorations - it's very school-roomy! We do probably 95% of our "formal" school in there, which seems to work really well for us. Bear does a lot better with the structure of having school in the same place every day.
I don't have any pics of the whole room, but these give a little bit of an idea what it looks like.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...terforPing.jpg
This was The Kids doing Show & Tell. We do some things on the floor, if we need space. You can see Deco\'s little table in the background. (To give a point of reference, the table is to Deco\'s left in this pic)

Kangaroo510 November 12th, 2006 06:33 PM

Ok, Dahlia is back to sleep for the night so I had a few more things I wanted to add! :D

The reason that I wouldn't put my kid in school is because I feel it is my job to teach them and I want to be in control of what they are learning, even at a very early age. I think that some of the things they make kindergarteners do in school is rediculus. My neice came home with fraction and simple algebra paper. Now, I think those are important. Especially in the kitchen when you are cooking. Do I think a 4 year old should know some fractions? Yes, but I don't think that in kindergarten they need to be sitting and doing them out of a workbook. That is where you go into the kitchen and make some brownies and they can put in the 1 1/2 cups of flour! The reason I would like to have a "school like environment" at an early age is because I've taught k4 and worked with k5 and I just love all of the cool little things kids get to have in school. Like I said above, some mornings I packed my lunch and backpack and took the "bus" to school. It was fun, my mom thought it was cute. I never did get my cubby though! :D

I also hope to do a lot of schooling outside. I did a lot of work on our trampoline! :) My mom didn't care where I was as long as I was working. I even did school on our roof once! It was the flat part above my bedroom and I hung out up there a lot! It seemed like a good place to learn.

I plan to put her in classes with either other homeschoolers or with the local park district. Music is a big part of my life and my husbands life and I enjoyed sports and he played when he was younger so we want to give her the chance to do as much as she would like to. I told Aaron that she can take any class she wants and try as many different things as she wants as long as she sees all of them out to the end of the class or gives a good effort (in the case of something that doesn't have a definate ending). Hopefully I'll be rich by then! HAHA

I have many hopes, dreams and ideas but none of those are as important to me as a happy little girl (and happy little siblings)!

joandsarah77 November 12th, 2006 07:22 PM

Lol sorry that was my fault I misread what you meant in your original post. I did get the idea you were thinking of making it like a school with sit down seat work all day, and panicked for you both!
I think it's best to go with whatever works for your kid. If my daughter was hankering after a lunch box, or to ride a bus etc I would try and provide it if possible. Like you, some kids will love a cubby ect, others might look at you like "Are you a few roo's short of a top paddock mum'? :lol: well they might if they were Aussie kids :P

Kangaroo510 November 13th, 2006 06:13 AM

:lol:

I've never laughed so hard!! Even though I'm not from OZ can I use that?? I feel I must have permission before using somebody elses lingo! :)

I do agree though... go with what works and makes the kid happy! For me, it was a backpack and a cubby and a very vivid imagination!

By the way, Kitty, did you ever get the PM I sent you?

KarateMom November 13th, 2006 06:28 AM

LOL, I think I'm going to use it too! It sounds much more funny that "A few fries short of a Happy Meal"!
Are there any special forms we have to fill out to impersonate someone from down under?

joandsarah77 November 13th, 2006 03:00 PM

lol http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...1160177565.gif feel free. :D Oh yes but first I will have those forms done in triplicut please! http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ol/school4.gif

Opps sorry I didn't look at my pm area, will go do that.

KarateMom November 13th, 2006 03:03 PM

Can I say that I'm going to "throw another shrimp on the barbie", too? :D

joandsarah77 November 13th, 2006 03:35 PM

hmmm your pushing it Lisa! Better have those forms in quod-duplicate! and have some barbie cooked up for me when I come over. http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...mestic/559.gif

Kangaroo510 November 13th, 2006 07:17 PM

Kitty, you have the best smilies!! Where do you get them???

KarateMom November 13th, 2006 08:11 PM

Quote:

Kitty, you have the best smilies!! Where do you get them???[/b]
Oooooo, Jo is The Smilie Queen!!
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...EMOADBow05.gifhttp://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ah77/queen.jpg

joandsarah77 November 13th, 2006 09:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Kitty, you have the best smilies!! Where do you get them???[/b]
Oooooo, Jo is The Smilie Queen!!
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...EMOADBow05.gifhttp://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ah77/queen.jpg
[/b]
:D

I save them as I see them. A few i have made from smilie generator pages. Lol like that "homeschool freeks sign up here" sign. I have also serched on google and on photobucket itself for them. It's not hard to do. Just a few steps.

1. Sign up with photobucket (free) http://photobucket.com/
2. Find some smilies or gifs/clip art you like that are free to take and save them to your computer. That means you right click the smilie and choose 'save as' Most places don't like you to copy and paste. Mine save to "my pictures"
3. Go to your photobucket acount and click on 'browse' Mine opens right up in 'my pictures'
4. click the smilie you want to add then click on 'upload' on your photobucket page. both the browse and upload buttons should be easy to see. if you can't see them your probably not signed in.
5. Your smilie will appear on your photobucket page and is now ready to use whenever you want. Under the smilie you will see 3 lines Url, tag and Img. Highlight and copy the Img line then paste it straight into your reply box here where you want it. it will appear as text in your reply box, but as the image in your reply that we see.

if like Lisa ;) you would rather have a selection right to hand you can use mine.
http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/joandsarah77/ they are not all in the proper folders, and some folders have sub folders. So if you want a smilie with a sign you will find that in a sub folder of emotion smilies.

Hope that is all clear. You can also feel free to right click any of my smilies and save them to your own page.

MissyPrincessEha November 14th, 2006 01:00 PM

:lol:

Okay, we do have a "schoolroom". The computer and the desks are there. Our kids need a space that is just for school time. It has been helpful to us. I also like that it is a special place and we can decorate as we go with what we want. There is also an art table. And my sewing desk is there. :)

JustAKrazymom November 14th, 2006 04:43 PM

I wish we had a place like that..but even with as big a house as we have..there just isn't a place!

Motherbird November 15th, 2006 06:55 AM

We have a schoolroom too. It is our dining room and it is hardly ever used for dining. It is also the "library" because it is where our big full bookshelves are located. All those books and dark wooden furniture make it feel cozy to me and the ideal place for learning. I feel having everything in one place makes for a much smoother, more organized day. Also just walking into the schoolroom in the morning, triggers that part of the kids brain that says, "okay, now it's time for school, let the learning begin." We don't strictly limit ourselves to that room though. For reading aloud, we often move to the comfy couches in the living room, or outside if the weather is nice. Or sometimes one of the kids will want more alone time to work on something and may move to the kitchen or upstairs to their bedroom for awhile. But for the most part, school takes place in the schoolroom and that works for us. :D

JustAKrazymom November 15th, 2006 11:07 AM

I wish we had a dinning room.. but we don't. Even if we have a "School room" it would be very hard for us to stay in that alone since I do have 3 wee ones.. I can't limit where I am..kwim?