JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   phonics (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/578452-phonics.html)

jmlevine May 18th, 2007 11:30 PM

hi ladies! i am back.

does anyone have any phonics programs that you have been thrilled about? my dd will be 5 in september and i want to begin some phonics with her. she really seems to enjoy learning how things sound and what letters make what, so any suggestions on your favorites? thanks for your help and hope you all had a wonderful mommies day!!! :bluecheer:

jamie

jhmomofmany May 19th, 2007 05:04 AM

A great phonics/reading book is Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons. It does exactly what the title promises to do. If she's the workbook kind of kid, you might look for the MCP phonics series. They are inexpensive, and you don't necessarily need the teacher's manuals unless you want all the extra activities. A beka is another popular one.

You might also look for the Sound Beginnings program for when she is older- I think that is 2nd-3rd grade, but it is VERY thorough. From there she could go on to The Writing Road to Reading. That one is difficult for the parent to get through, but there are books written to help break it down into daily lesson plans. I would guess that is around 3rd-4th grade and on up.

Butter May 19th, 2007 05:37 AM

On the other hand I don't recommend Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. I know several moms who tried it and it made learning to read a terribly hated chore for their kids and they ended up ditching it. It seems people either love it or hate it. Ani used Calvert School's Come Read With Me and loved it. My sister used a old version of Hooked on Phonics for her son and now they are doing the more advanced phonics using The Reading Lesson and it's been perfect for him. Cameron is using Sonlight's Language Arts K. Anything would probably work for him that is very, very slow (Sonlight does one letter or less a week) with lots of repitition so it's perfect for him. We had The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading and it bored us to death so we got rid of it. I've heard great things about Sing, Spell, Read, and Write.

KarateMom May 19th, 2007 06:14 AM

I used An Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading and I liked it. The lessons were fairly short, although, as far as I remember, anything "extra" that you want to do, you have to sort of make on your own. Therere's not a workbook for the kids or anything, althought there might be some ideas at the end of the lessons. I can't really remember!
One thing I did with it was take the little paragraphs from the lessons and type several of them out on my computer. I then put them into a folder and called it Reilly's Reading Folder. She liked having something that was "hers", rather than just trying to read out of the big book.
I've not used anything in awhile as far as a "lesson book", since she's reading so well, so we didn't actually finish the book. I just have her pick any book and read to me!

Hope that helps somewhat!

-Tisha- May 19th, 2007 08:14 AM

We have DS the Hooked On Kindergarten and he loves it. It has the Beginning Reading series in it and he wakes up and tells me he wants to learn some letters. It also has a computer game that he plays. He seems to be thrilled with it.

Retrocutie May 19th, 2007 08:43 AM

First, we have lots and lots of computer games like reader rabbit and study dog that help make the learning more fun for DS- he loves his games and doesn't even realize he's learning.
But, we also are using 123 Read from Alpha Omega- it is really great! You make a puppet for each letter and sing the song- then there are activities and reading selections to try to- The thing I loved about this was that it had a checklist of developmental things kids should be able to do before you really attempt reading and it comes with an fun exercise tape to do to help you get there. It seems like lots of fun and goes at an easy going slow pace.

Stellaluna May 19th, 2007 12:12 PM

We used a handed down Hooked on Phonics set but I don't think I'd reccomend HOP for a new reader (more as a supplemental for a struggling reader). Ds is definitely a much stronger "whole word" reader but I really want him to have a strong phonics foundation as well. HOP didn't offer much additional practice (it was pretty much just word lists with an occasional book tossed in) or drill leaving the parent to add it in when they see fit. Like I said though, it was an older set so they may have revamped it since then :smile: I've since discovered the Explode the Code series and we both like these a lot (and they're pretty cheap too!). Explode the Code offers a variety of different excercises that not only reinforce phonics but comprehension, spelling and handwriting as well!

Butter May 19th, 2007 01:07 PM

I learned how to read with Hooked on Phonics when I was 3... the 1972 version my mom had bought used to teach my brother to read when he was 4.

jmlevine May 19th, 2007 01:37 PM

Thanks girls for helping me out. I knew you all would have some excellent ideas. My dd knows her letters really well and even sounds them out to me and tells me what goes with it. Like the letter P for an example, ph, ph, ph is the sound P and pickle starts with the letter P. SO I am thinking she is definatley ready to begin reading when she is trying to sound out her letters and sort the words to go with them. Her preschool currently is doing phonics with them, so I think this has encouraged her to sounding out at home.

Anyways, thanks again. I will check out all your suggestions.

Miguelsmommy May 19th, 2007 03:22 PM

We used star fall and leapfrog alphabet CD and loved it.

grunig May 19th, 2007 05:29 PM

We used a few different things but eventually landed on "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons". I think as long as your child is genuinly ready to read it is great. Talen looks forward to his lessons, but I skip the writing portion at the end. I just have him trace the sound on a rough surface instead. I also don't make him reread the stories as long as he is answering the questions quickly. I think reading them through again just turns it into a chore.

jmlevine May 19th, 2007 08:37 PM

Have any of you heard of "The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading"?? And any thoughts on this. My sil uses this method and I just wasn't sure what others thought about it verses her own individual opinion. Thanks.

ilovemy3wikids May 19th, 2007 08:40 PM

We use Saxon phonics and it is so neat and easy!!

CharmieCM May 19th, 2007 09:41 PM

I'm using the Ordinary Parents Guide this fall with my 4 yo. I like the simplicity a lot. There are also books out there that help with tactile alphabet activities, as well, because I think the OPG is a little scant on that. I like the Well Trained Mind books, and OPG is one of them, so that's why I'm using it. The style of teaching/learning appeals to me. And my son is very auditory/tactile, so I don't think workbooks would be the best idea. Plus the OPG is VERY affordable, which is a big, BIG bonus.

jmlevine May 19th, 2007 10:00 PM

what is OPG?

jmlevine May 19th, 2007 10:15 PM

Oops, What a goof! :rolleyes: I got it! Sorry. Thanks, I will look into this program too. I am trying to get the Well trained mind book. It is on the way!
Appreciate your input. :smile:

Butter May 20th, 2007 05:45 AM

Reilly&DeclansMom and I mentioned the Ordinary Parents' Guide in our posts :smile: She likes it, I don't. I tried to use it with Ani for higher level phonics and it bored her to death. Then again, this is also the child who completed First Language Lessons, in it's entirety, in 3 months and still remembers everything. The repitition of OPG was awful for her. For Cameron, it was also a major flop, so we've just given up on it completely and sold it a few months ago. It made no sense to Cameron and the memorization was extremely frustrating to him and he saw no point for it. Using it made him decide he just may never actually want to learn to read, it was that awful for him.

jmlevine May 20th, 2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Reilly&DeclansMom and I mentioned the Ordinary Parents' Guide in our posts :smile: She likes it, I don't. I tried to use it with Ani for higher level phonics and it bored her to death. Then again, this is also the child who completed First Language Lessons, in it's entirety, in 3 months and still remembers everything. The repitition of OPG was awful for her. For Cameron, it was also a major flop, so we've just given up on it completely and sold it a few months ago. It made no sense to Cameron and the memorization was extremely frustrating to him and he saw no point for it. Using it made him decide he just may never actually want to learn to read, it was that awful for him.[/b]
Uhm interesting. I think I need to find out first how my daughter Emily learns. I don't think I have ever figured out which way she picks up on things. Other than the obvious...observation, any ideas??
Thanks too for your reply. I am still new at all of this HS, so sometimes many posts throw me off. Sorry if I hadn't connected your OPG to the other. :rolleyes: :smile:

joandsarah77 May 21st, 2007 02:55 AM

You could try an online quiz.
http://www.quizilla.com/users/guiltfree/qu...z%20for%20Kids/
http://www.homeschoolviews.com/quiz/quiz.html this has a teaching style quiz too.

Butter May 21st, 2007 05:09 AM

Trial and error. It seems nearly all homeschooling parents buy some stuff that just doesn't work out and I personally think that's okay. If it doesn't work it can be resold and now you know what doesn't work, and meanwhile some of the stuff you find will be perfect.