JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   3rd grade spelling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/579683-3rd-grade-spelling.html)

~~~Sue~~~ May 20th, 2007 04:12 PM

We are now pretty much free to finish and not finish what we want to. We use a Charter school and as of now I meet with our CT one more time but it is for fun... we meet with her and all her families at the park not really to look at work so I can choose to finish alot of stuff on my own. With this idea I have decided there are many things we will try to cover to get ready for 4th grade (only began h.s. in jan so we are little behind in our books) We plan to cont. doing spelling, and all aspects of Language Arts and Math...
anyway my point the spelling vocabulary book we have has many busy work pages and I dont want nor like busy work. I want her work to count and I want to only give her what I think she needs. Spelling is important, but The busy work they have her do isnt really helping her remember the words anyway, so my question...
What things or activities do you have your child do with her/his spelling words to help them learn them??
Thanks,
sue

joandsarah77 May 20th, 2007 04:40 PM

Well 4th grade is a long way off for me but I plan on mainly using Charlotte mason copy work for most spelling and grammar in the younger grades. Knowing how I like to use games I imagine I will find or make some kind of spelling game as well.

Butter May 20th, 2007 06:02 PM

Ani likes to do spelling orally Spelling Bee style.

jhmomofmany May 20th, 2007 08:32 PM

None of my children did well with the weekly "list and test" approach. For some folks, spelling just comes almost naturally. If your daughter is fortunate in that regard, having her do some daily writing or copy work (like making her own poem book or nature notebook, or keeping a journal) might be all you need to do. Scrabble is an excellent game for spelling (and vocabulary) practice, and there are lots of online resources as well. We also adapted "Mother May I" for spelling practice- they got to take a step forward for each word correctly given, and a word misspelled took them back to the beginning.

~~~Sue~~~ May 20th, 2007 09:26 PM

Quote:

None of my children did well with the weekly "list and test" approach. For some folks, spelling just comes almost naturally. If your daughter is fortunate in that regard, having her do some daily writing or copy work (like making her own poem book or nature notebook, or keeping a journal) might be all you need to do. Scrabble is an excellent game for spelling (and vocabulary) practice, and there are lots of online resources as well. We also adapted "Mother May I" for spelling practice- they got to take a step forward for each word correctly given, and a word misspelled took them back to the beginning.[/b]
She is so not like this. Writing is another subject she is working and doing very well in since being home with me, but still have a ways to go till she is where I/We would like to see her... I am not a strong speller so i am really looking to find what works...

Has anyone heard of Spelling Power? This book (program) is supposed to be good, but I only know one person who actually uses it and that person only uses the words from it and not any of the activities to help with learning because her child learns quickly in spelling!
Sue

Butter May 20th, 2007 09:42 PM

I've heard good things about Spelling Power and also Sequential Spelling. We're not to the point of using either of them, though, so I don't have any firsthand knowledge of how they are.

MissyPrincessEha May 22nd, 2007 09:36 PM

Eli does really well with his lists. He uses his "special sounds" and vowel rules to spell them.

ang in bang
ung in sung
ear in earth
ear in ear
ear in bear
That kind of stuff....

He has gotten so good that I can just call out the list when it is new and he spells them all perfectly aside from 1-2 at different times. We then just focus on those as long as needed. :)

Just a thought. :)

KarateMom May 23rd, 2007 08:17 PM

When we DO an official spelling curriculum *ahem...which hasn't been in the last few weeks...oops!* I've been using Spelling Workout A, simply because a friend of mind had it and decided not to use it, so she gave me her book to finish. I like it, although it seems like it needs a little fleshing out sometimes. I've usually had her take half of the words and use them in a sentence on one day and do the same with the other half on the next day, as well as doing the workbook activities. There are only 8 words per lesson, which seems a little short to me, but at least it keeps spelling from taking up a ton of time in a day.

The same friend who abandoned this curriculum switched to Sequential Spelling and loved it at first, but then hated it because spelling was taking FOREVER each day!! There were something like 30 words per spelling list! :blink:

Butter May 23rd, 2007 08:32 PM

Spelling Workout increases in the number of words pretty rapidly. I think when we ditched it in C we were up to 20 words per lesson.