JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Grades? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/579940-grades.html)

~~~Sue~~~ May 20th, 2007 08:08 PM

Which grade level (or approximate) are your children in.... I notice it seems alot of what i have read is pertaining to younger ones and ones just starting in the journey, so I wanted to see how many kids of different ages we havd?
Sue

P.s. I have a 5 grader going into 6th (He lives in VA with his father and is in PS for now), Shelby is my 3rd going to 4th grader, and Karis is learning to walk... lol!
sue

~~~Sue~~~ May 20th, 2007 08:15 PM

sorry just saw the post about who and how long and all that... so if you want to answer feel free otherwise i understand where to look:)

Butter May 20th, 2007 08:45 PM

Ani would be finishing first grade. She's about 4th to 5th grade level, give or take depending on subject. Cameron would be entering kindergarten in the fall. He's on a late preschool to early kindergarten level I guess. Fritz is toddling around and today when we got out the blocks we discovered he can stack blocks three high.

joandsarah77 May 20th, 2007 08:55 PM

Sarah is 5 1/2 and doing second term Kindergarten (called prep over here) Here grade 1 starts at 5. We held her back a year due to a late birthday and imaturity.

Stellaluna May 20th, 2007 09:05 PM

Ds recently turned 5 so if he was in school he would be finishing up pre-K. He's currently working at a 2nd - 3rd grade level depending on the subject. That's one of the things I love so much about homeschooling...you can toss the grade system out the window and just follow your child's lead :smile: .

-Tisha- May 20th, 2007 09:06 PM

We are going to start a pre K/K program for Eathan this year, so from the little things we have done I would say he is advanced in math, but his letters and such he is definitely at PreK level. Garrett definitely marches to the beat of his own drum! He is almost 17 mos old and thinks he is grown. :lol:

willischomp May 21st, 2007 04:21 AM

I have a 13 yr old going into 8th, a 10 year old going into 5th, a 5 year old starting K but I am thinking she will fly through that and be moving into first quickly. Then we have a 2 year old learning all sorts of new stuff too :o)

Quote:

I have a 13 yr old going into 8th, a 10 year old going into 5th, a 5 year old starting K but I am thinking she will fly through that and be moving into first quickly. Then we have a 2 year old learning all sorts of new stuff too :o)[/b]

Ooops, hit the wrong smiley up there...LOL I meant :D

*Sharon* May 21st, 2007 06:45 AM

I honestly really have no idea. Ryllan would probably be starting K fine for his counting and letter skills (recognizes all upper-case and most lower-case I believe....I don't teach him these; he just learns them so I am not exactly sure where he is. And he knows almost all the phonics sounds. But for scissor skills and writing skills he would be starting preK.

I have no idea what grade would best fit Belle either. If in ps she would be finishing up K right now--although she would be young for K. She is quite advanced in reading, science, and grammar. Maybe just a grade ahead in math (although we are just now starting to focus on math). For penmenship about K. For scissor use probably still start of K.

jhmomofmany May 21st, 2007 07:51 AM

We don't really keep the kids on grade level. I'm a believer of "better late than early" especially for boys. My kids are ahead in certain subjects and behind for now in math. I don't stress about it. :smile:

Jenneve May 21st, 2007 07:51 AM

If Jack were in ps now, he'd be going into 3rd grade. He's pretty much right on track with that. We just finished up 2nd grade level work. If Jared were in the ps system, he would be finishing up kindergarten. Homeschooling, he's right at late pre-k early kinder. Justin would still have another year before starting kindergarten in ps (misses the cut-off by 6 weeks). Homeschooling, he's beginning pre-k. But I have a feeling he'll be on level with Jared by next summer. He's pretty bright and catches onto things quickly. So, I guess they're all pretty much on level with the ps grade system.

JustAKrazymom May 21st, 2007 08:24 AM

If we were in school Noah would be finishing up 7th and entering 8th and Declan would be entering K.. for us though Noah is mostly 8-9th grade esp in English/Grammar and in about 6th for Math. Declan is at about 1-2nd with everything.

MissyPrincessEha May 21st, 2007 06:48 PM

Eli would be heading into the 3rd grade next school year....he ranges from 3rd to 4th grade level. But then in some things and topics even more. It is so hard to "grade" a kid when they are home. He can learn and understand anything with ease...how do you grade that?

Remy is on an early kinder level....but in science and history he could go to no limit. :lol:

*Sharon* May 21st, 2007 08:01 PM

Quote:

He can learn and understand anything with ease...how do you grade that?[/b]
That is Belle as well for most things. So it is hard to give her attribute a grade level...grade level of what she already knows or what she is capable of understanding...I think Ry may be like this as well since I haven't worked on him with "academic" things and he is doing very well on his own! My little unschooler!

svecica May 21st, 2007 08:44 PM

Floyd would be going into 3rd grade next year in ps. He's doing from 3rd to high school level, depending on the subject. I keep expecting certain things to fall behind because they're so hard for him, but he's very peer conscious and it drives him to keep them at least close enough that it's not noticeable.

Pickle would be going into 1st and is doing 2nd - 4th, depending on subject. She loves to study and is a bit of a brainiac. I rather expect her to catch up to her brother around 6th grade or so.

I'm not really sure how I feel about it though. I was all prepared to have the kids falling behind for lack of pressure and support them in growing at their own rate. I'm trapped in my own words supporting them to be overachievers and not pressure them to lay off! lol

I remember when I first started hsing and was very vocal about kids learning to read when they're ready and blah blah blah. Then they went and were really READING at 4 and 3! What's with that, eh?

kids...

MissyPrincessEha May 21st, 2007 09:28 PM

:lol:

*Sharon* May 22nd, 2007 06:00 AM

Quote:

I remember when I first started hsing and was very vocal about kids learning to read when they're ready and blah blah blah. Then they went and were really READING at 4 and 3! What's with that, eh?[/b]
I am like that too...I want my kids to learn to read when they are reading to LEARN to read. Not be taught so much. My dd started reading books when she was 3 (could reads lots of words by 2). And my son has learned to read a few words and I think he may start reading books at 4...we shall see. But I totally didn't think my kids would be reading until 6...and 7 before they could read really well. But looks like you and I were both wrong! But they are learning at their own rates...they taught themselves, so clearly they were ready!