JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Here's Something Fun To Do (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/584577-here-s-something-fun-to-do.html)

Shery May 24th, 2007 11:37 AM

I was thinking of how so many things are referred to by the brand name of the company that first introduced the product. Some places call soda soda, or pop. Most places just call all of it Coke. What about Q-tips? Actually, they are cotton swabs, but are referred to mostly as Q-tips.

Let's see how many of them we can name. Actually, there is a name for using the brand name for something in general. Does anyone know what it is called?

See if you can name some!

jhmomofmany May 24th, 2007 11:57 AM

"Pampers" for diapers
"Kleenex" for facial tissue

That's all I can think of right now, although I'm sure there are lots! I didn't know there was a word for this.

-Tisha- May 24th, 2007 12:28 PM

Vaseline for Petroleum Jelly

Butter May 24th, 2007 01:09 PM

No one here calls all soda Coke (that's a southern thing lol). Calling all diapers Pampers is also regional. Here they are just diapers. My husband says Kleenex and it drives me crazy because he likes Puffs and when we were first married I'd buy Kleenex and he'd tell me it was the wrong one! I say tissues. But I do say Q-tips and Vaseline. I can't think of any others.

Shery May 24th, 2007 02:03 PM

Well, this is very interesting how some things are regional.
I knew that Coke was a southern thing. We also don't use Pampers here...they are diapers.
Yes on the Kleenex!
Yes on the Vaseline!

What about:

Xerox
Jello-O
Band-Aid

Retrocutie May 24th, 2007 02:12 PM

Quote:

Well, this is very interesting how some things are regional.
I knew that Coke was a southern thing. We also don't use Pampers here...they are diapers.
Yes on the Kleenex!
Yes on the Vaseline!

What about:

Xerox
Jello-O
Band-Aid[/b]

I say Keenex and Vaseline but SODA IS SODA!! :lol:
I've said band aid too- are there other brands?? haha!

Shery May 24th, 2007 02:38 PM

Well, Band-aids is a brand of bandanges.

jhmomofmany May 24th, 2007 03:09 PM

I say "Jell-O" even though I make my own with Knox gelatine and juice!

-Tisha- May 24th, 2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

What about:

Xerox
Jello-O
Band-Aid[/b]
Guilty! :D

But Soda is Soda for this southern girl! :lol:

Butter May 24th, 2007 04:37 PM

I don't say Xerox. But I do say Band-Aid and Jell-O.

jhmomofmany May 24th, 2007 04:39 PM

Oh, what about Chapstick? I always call it Chapstick even if it is a different brand. What is the real name for the stuff, anyway? Lip protectant??

Butter May 24th, 2007 04:50 PM

I don't know what the real name for it is, but I don't say Chapstick because I've never actually had Chapstick brand. We always used Blistex growing up (in the foil tube and it burned your lips and we figured that's because it was working lol). Now I refer to it as "lip stuff." Oh how clever I am lol

-Tisha- May 24th, 2007 05:06 PM

OH yep...chapstick! :lol:

What about Kotex? We say Kotex regardless of the brand, well at least the women in my family do. :lol:

Butter May 24th, 2007 05:13 PM

It's funny... my mom had always referred to all pads as Kotex, but I call them pads.

JustAKrazymom May 24th, 2007 06:07 PM

Speakign of Chapstick..did you know the medicated stuff is $233.20 a pound here?LOL.. Noah noticed that while at the check out today...lol

Butter May 24th, 2007 06:26 PM

They actually had the price per pound?!?! :lol:

JustAKrazymom May 24th, 2007 06:33 PM

LOL..yup.. well most stores show the retail price then for comparison shopping the price per..say 100 units, pound, ounce , gallon.. and I am very careful to always check such things..and Noah has picked up on it..lol

jhmomofmany May 24th, 2007 07:04 PM

Wow, that's expensive stuff! I actually don't use it anymore... we try to avoid beauty products based on petroleum.

Just thought of another one... anybody say Crisco instead of vegetable shortening?

JustAKrazymom May 24th, 2007 07:32 PM

Yeah we don't use it either.. and yes..DANg expensive!@

Butter May 24th, 2007 07:35 PM

I say Crisco, but in my almost 9 years of marriage I have only bought one container of vegetable shortening and it was Crisco so I don't know what I'd call it if it wasn't actually Crisco. We use coconut oil instead of typical shortening.