JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   What reading level do you think these words are? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/586011-what-reading-level-do-you-think-these-words.html)

*Sharon* May 25th, 2007 09:37 AM

What reading level would you say these words are?
unconscious
prediction
awakening
gratitude
completely
admitted
transformed
magically
sprinkles
dangerous
brightly
journey
instantly
stammered
terrifying
glimpsed
determined
sorcerers
adventures
mysterious
galloped
different
creature
curiously
frightened
attention
breathtaking
surrounded
shimmering
brambles
untangle
discovered
apologize
foretold
piercing
protecting
furiously
recognized
unbelievable
happiness
distracted
whispered

Just curious because Belle is reading a chapter book that has only RL 1 listed on the back. So I thought it would be mega simple. She is reading it fine, but some of the words to me see like higher than 1st grade. Oh well, she can read it. But what do you think? It seems that the RL can really vary from what I have noticed. Belle has read RL 2 books that were easier....some RL 3 that were similar. If you didn't know that these were in a gr 1 book, what grade level would you guess? 1st still?

jhmomofmany May 25th, 2007 10:57 AM

I wonder if maybe the RL 1 doesn't necessarily mean "grade level 1". Those don't really look like first grade words to me, either.

Retrocutie May 25th, 2007 11:29 AM

That sounds more like a 3rd grade reader or higher! Kudos that she can read it though!!

~hsingtreehouse~ May 25th, 2007 12:38 PM

That is 3-4 grade (in ps) reading level. My oldest son just completed 2nd grade and his words were like cotton, problem, question, etc.

*Sharon* May 25th, 2007 12:41 PM

Quote:

That sounds more like a 3rd grade reader or higher! Kudos that she can read it though!![/b]
She can read it with help on a few words. I looked it up on Amazon and the write up reading level 4-8! The 8 sounds about right, but 4...well, unless it is a gifted 4 year old of which we have some on here I can't imagine most 4-6 yo's being able to read it.

~hsingtreehouse~ May 25th, 2007 12:44 PM

I think the breakdown is age versus grade. Bryce is 8 and he came in here just now and read all of the words. But he is a gifted reader. I know there would be lots of kids in his 2nd grade class who couldn't read those. I really would think 3rd or 4th grade for the "average" reader.

*Sharon* May 25th, 2007 12:53 PM

Quote:

I think the breakdown is age versus grade. Bryce is 8 and he came in here just now and read all of the words. But he is a gifted reader. I know there would be lots of kids in his 2nd grade class who couldn't read those. I really would think 3rd or 4th grade for the "average" reader.[/b]
I can see this being a 2nd grade book. But it says grade 1, ages 4-8. It just seems more like RL:2, maybe 3 and ages 7-8 to me. Is Bryce at the end of second grade? Because that is basically the same as the beginning of 3rd grade.

~hsingtreehouse~ May 25th, 2007 01:06 PM

Yes, he is. He will be in 3rd grade when school starts back. Those words are definitely hard for a 4 year old. My 4 year old is learning letters. ??? And some 8 year olds would have trouble with them as well!

*Sharon* May 25th, 2007 03:21 PM

Quote:

Yes, he is. He will be in 3rd grade when school starts back. Those words are definitely hard for a 4 year old. My 4 year old is learning letters. ??? And some 8 year olds would have trouble with them as well![/b]
I always feel like gpoing :rolleyes: when books start the reading level at 4. Pretty much only gifted kids can read a chapter book at 4. Granted my dd was reading books at 3...not chapter books though. My issues with it are these makes parents feel their kids should be reading books at 4 yo, which some can do but most aren't. This book would interest most children (more likely girls) ages 4-8...maybe some older, maybe some younger. But the content is not what a 4 yo would be reading as they can't read. And even at 5 the reading range should mostly be phonics books and early readers IMO.

Butter May 25th, 2007 03:25 PM

Those look 4th-ish level to me.

Retrocutie May 25th, 2007 03:28 PM

Maybe they meant fourth to eight grade?? I don't know! Those are pretty hard words for four year olds!
I see those numbers and I know that that would be a great read aloud for my son, but he can by NO means read it himself, and I feel he's pretty ahead for a 4 year old. Probably not gifted, but bright nonetheless! (dont' we all think that about our kids? LOL)

Butter May 25th, 2007 03:29 PM

What's the book?

CharmieCM May 25th, 2007 03:36 PM

My concern with reading levels is this: I've noticed that just because my son can READ it doesn't mean he can infer the meaning from the text around it. So he might be able to read "mystic" or something, but he's still not likely to know what the heck it means! And some of the words on this list are the same way: try explaining "breathtaking" or "sorcerers" or "foretold" to a FOUR year old. Yeah, eventually they'll understand it, but only with some good explanation.

Reading and understanding are so different to me, and understanding is MUCH more important, IMO, even if that means the child is reading books that are "below" his level. Even with read alouds, I stumble on things and think "I need to stop and explain that or the rest of this page isn't going to make any sense to him!" I can imagine how he feels when he's reading on his own.

Butter May 25th, 2007 03:47 PM

That's so true, Charlotte. I always say that just because Ani CAN read on a 6th grade level means that that is an appropriate level for her comprehension-wise. I mean, I read the Complete Works of Shakespeare when I was 12 (by my choice, I've just always had this thing for Shakespeare) and while I could read it and understand well enough, today the stories are so incredibly much more meaningful.

*Sharon* May 25th, 2007 04:03 PM

Quote:

What's the book?[/b]
Barbie of Swan Lake: A Junior Novelization (She loves Barbie books...lol...)

One the back it does say "RL1" Which should mean first grade.

And on Amazon it says "Reading level: Ages 4-8"

Here is a random quotes from the chapter she read today:
"Odette watched as, one by one, the other animals magically transformed back into their elf elves. Only Odette remained trapped in the form of a swan."
"The queen tried one more time. Suddenly, in a shower of magical sprinkles, Odette transformed back into her human form."
"With Lila leading the way, Odette set out on her most dangerous journey yet. Lila's glowing horn showed the way along the banks of the moonlit lake. Soon she and Odette reached a brightly colored toadstool. "Here we are, " Lila said.
"Odette pulled out the leaf with the Fairy Queen's mark on it. Instantly, the mark of the queen sparkled, and the doors of the toad stool opened.

Here is another quote, not from the chapter she read today:
"The sun cast its last pink rays over Odette as she lay unconscious, still in the form of a swan. As the sun sank from view, she transformed back into her beautiful human form. With her blond hair around her face and her lovely ball gown spread around her. Odette looked like a princess. But the Magic Crystal in her crown no longer glowed or sparkled.

Okay...picked random quotes...didn't look for easier or harder paragraphs. That should give a better idea. It still seems a little ahead of GL:1 to me...it isn't difficult. But first grade is when most kids are just learning to really read books. More like Green Eggs and Ham and such. Which has the same reading level and age range. I tried to look up the Swan Lake book in the Lexile database, but it wasn't there. It seems a bit more sophisticated and difficult than Green Eggs and Ham and Inside, Outside, Upside Down....which are given the same reading level and reading ages. lol.

*Sharon* May 25th, 2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

My concern with reading levels is this: I've noticed that just because my son can READ it doesn't mean he can infer the meaning from the text around it. So he might be able to read "mystic" or something, but he's still not likely to know what the heck it means! And some of the words on this list are the same way: try explaining "breathtaking" or "sorcerers" or "foretold" to a FOUR year old. Yeah, eventually they'll understand it, but only with some good explanation.

Reading and understanding are so different to me, and understanding is MUCH more important, IMO, even if that means the child is reading books that are "below" his level. Even with read alouds, I stumble on things and think "I need to stop and explain that or the rest of this page isn't going to make any sense to him!" I can imagine how he feels when he's reading on his own.[/b]
Belle likes fantasy type books, so she is familiar with most of the words. And I read to her books that are much higher than her reading level, so she has a great vocabulary. If she doesn' t know what a word means or can't tell by the context then she asks me what it means. The other day she was so sure a certain word meant something that it didn't actually mean...I don't think she thought I knew what I was talking about when I told her what it meant. lol.

It is very true that what kids can read and what they can comprehend may not be on the same level. For Belle she can comprehend higher than she can read...she is reading at 2-3 grade level, but she comprehends much higher. But my nephew has aspergers and can read college level...since he was about 5. And he would read things he had no idea what they meant. lol. He can read anything. He comprehends at grade level at least, but not nearly as high a level as he can read.

LuvEmm May 25th, 2007 04:39 PM

My 3 year old has a great vocab just from me reading to her, but I don't think at age 4 she would be able to be reading those words or reading at all for that matter. I had a young sister though who was reading 800 page books at age 8 and she never stepped foot in school- homeschooled all the way through and I think at age 4 she was reading material similar to your DD's. Sounds like Belle is doing a great job and you too!!

Stellaluna May 25th, 2007 06:09 PM

ITA with the what they CAN read/vs. what they can read and fully comprehend. Sam read me a few pages out of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe the other day..so technically he can read the words and comprehend it on a basic level..but he's much more comfortable reading The MTH type books.

~hsingtreehouse~ May 25th, 2007 07:07 PM

LOL - all that transforming had me confused and I am 28. LMBO!! :)

CharmieCM May 25th, 2007 07:27 PM

Quote:

Belle likes fantasy type books, so she is familiar with most of the words. And I read to her books that are much higher than her reading level, so she has a great vocabulary. If she doesn' t know what a word means or can't tell by the context then she asks me what it means. The other day she was so sure a certain word meant something that it didn't actually mean...I don't think she thought I knew what I was talking about when I told her what it meant. lol.[/b]

Asking what it means...WHAT A CONCEPT. Samuel is so reserved and just NOT outspoken at all (one of the reasons I'm more comfortable with him at home right now, but that's a whole other post). He would NEVER ask me what a word means. I'll stop and say "do you know what that means" and he's clueless to it, but it would never dawn on him to ask me. I've considered making vocabulary lists from our books, which seems so "schooly" but I'm revisiting the idea again because I just don't know what he understands from what he reads (because he doesn't talk enough to tell me!).

And yeah, BOTH of mine think they're smarter than mama. It got better, though, when they got to where they really ARE "smarter" than mama about some things: I just don't have the interest to learn about the Transformers and their heirarchy, but they LOVE to tell me what they know about them, and they enjoy that they know something I don't know, so it works out both ways.