JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Rebecca (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/587811-rebecca.html)

KimmeeAnne May 27th, 2007 01:56 PM

Hi Rebecca! I read your post about your ex refusing to allow you to homeschool your son. I am not familiar with the law in your state but where I live, the custodial parent has the right to make decisions about education and religion. I have maintained a friendship with my ex so, I am not sure that I would make that decision without his approval... On the other hand he has no problem with homescooling so I cant say for sure if I would or not. Just a thought.

Kim

~hsingtreehouse~ May 27th, 2007 02:29 PM

Quote:

Hi Rebecca! I read your post about your ex refusing to allow you to homeschool your son. I am not familiar with the law in your state but where I live, the custodial parent has the right to make decisions about education and religion. I have maintained a friendship with my ex so, I am not sure that I would make that decision without his approval... On the other hand he has no problem with homescooling so I cant say for sure if I would or not. Just a thought.

Kim[/b]

Thanks for your input! In our divorce papers, my ex is listed as a joint parent - however, I am custodial until he lives closer which he never will. He also mandated that it say in the papers that any decision of importance in the child's life had to be made and agreed upon by both of us. Back then I thought "no big deal" but over the years, it has become a big deal. My ex and I have remained friends which is lovely, but he is very dead set on a lot of things. He wants Bryce in private school. And honestly, I am not fighting it yet for two reasons. #1 - Bryce still wants to be in PS until 6th grade. He has made friends, he likes his teachers, and his school is elementary and so far has been safe. It is also across the street from my house!! Last year I was very involved with his class and at his school and have seen good things from there. I also know his teacher for next year very well and she is a great person and great educator. SO I am not feeling terrible about next year. However, I REFUSE to send him to ps after 6th grade (middle school and high school) so then is when the poverbial sh*t will hit the fan. LOL #2 I am thinking that, at that age, though, Bryce's opinion will count and I intend to make homeschool the only choice he would ever want to make. :)

And besides, I have summers with him - and he will have that touch of my education style before he ever has to make the decision. It does not, however, protect him the way I would like to from the garbage that can and does go on in PS around the country. That is killing me!!

Retrocutie May 27th, 2007 03:43 PM

man girl, I cant imagine dealing with the nitty gritty of divorce agreements! At least you can HS scotty and I'm sure what you add with Bryce will help protect against whatever may happen with PS. Besides, nothing says you can't do a summer school program with him, right?? :)

Butter May 27th, 2007 06:19 PM

I've heard divorce agreements can be crazy. I know some people who made sure to spell out that educational decision are to be made by the custodial parent. Of course those were people already homeschooling so they already knew it matter. They just didn't want their ex to come back and say they are now against homeschooling.

~hsingtreehouse~ May 28th, 2007 09:05 AM

When we divorced, Bryce was 2 years old and I was a full time working mom. If I hadn't kept working, I couldn't have supported Bryce alone. So, back then, I had no idea this would be an issue now. :(

I am going to do summer school with him. He started multiplication today and OMG this kid is so smart. I LOVE working with him!! He had them all finished in 15 minutes. I give him one week to have them memorized and move on to division. Seriously. This kid is just so bright. I have always really enjoyed working with the kid who "get it." I was one of those kids and Bryce is too, I guess. But seeing what a great learner he is makes me sad that I won't get to watch him learn through the school year.

Private school is a step up for public and Robert (the ex) has agreed on that...and even has agreed to pay for it, so that is better than nothing, I guess. If Bryce wants homeschool when he is 12 or 13 and Robert says no...we may be able to fight it and let Bryce decide as long as I have a good record and proven ability to homeschool him.