JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Question (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/592045-question.html)

mylilarmybrats May 30th, 2007 11:25 PM

Hi there I am new here but I just had a question. My daughter is 26 months old but I want to homeschool and I was wondering if I should be starting something now or wait until she is four and would normally go to preschool. I work with her on her colors and numbers and letters and such but did not know if I should be structured yet or what. Thanks :)

~Emily
mommy to Mattie and Cora and wife to James

Miguelsmommy May 31st, 2007 12:57 AM

Hi welcome. I'm Lisa and my son will be starting his first state regulated year this year.

I'd say depends on her. If you want get her little work books,coloring things, educational video's, little games. Just make your home as learning friendly as posible, Introduse her to as many things as possible and explore what she likes. Reading to her is one of the key things I feel. She'll never be to young or to old to learn

joandsarah77 May 31st, 2007 03:17 AM

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...e/26_11_14.gifWelcome to the homeschooling board.

I am Jo, my daughter Sarah is 5 1/2 and my son Daniel is 2 1/2.
It sounds like you have already started. :smile: Homeschooling is often more of a lifestyle and I think it is fair to say many of us see it as starting at birth and then it evolves into something more structured slowly as it seems to fit. Some people never get structured at all. That is unschooling. Follow her lead as regard to structure. All kids are different. Some kids are begging for sit down work and workbooks by 3, others never care for that type of learning at all.

The best thing to do is to involve her in what you are doing such as dusting or sorting washing. Read to her, provide open ended toys that involve the imagination. Also things to promote fine and gross motor development. (lol can you tell I worked in pre-school :rolleyes: ) So lots of craft type items like playdough, paint, crayons, large cotton reels to thread, and chunky Duplo blocks. Also puzzles for eye hand co-ordination. Things for gross or large body control such as a trampoline, slide, swing, balls to kick etc. Nothing better then having room to play and explore in a safe backyard with some dirt and water. :D

Butter May 31st, 2007 05:25 AM

Welcome! At that age I totally follow their lead and never do anything formal and make sure it is all lots of fun. There's plenty of time for the real academics. Honestly, I wouldn't even be focused on the age four thing. It's quite arbitrary and it wasn't that long ago we didn't do preschool and not that long before that there wasn't even kindergarten and school didn't even start until 6 or 7 (we're talking only 50-60 years ago!). When you get closer to school age you'll know, and she'll let you know, when it's time to do something more formal. My son didn't start doing school regularly until he was 5 1/2. My daughter was 4 1/2. That's just when they were ready.

MissyPrincessEha May 31st, 2007 10:46 PM

*Enjoy her and play.
*Listen when she talks and do fun learning things when the chance arises.
*Count and point out letters in everyday life.
*Talk about the different shades of colors.
*Talk about smells.
*Introduce her to things you think she will like and FOLLOW her lead.

The rest will follow!

And read a book or two for you on this subject. I am reading one right now that I WISH I had read before I started.

It is by Gatto and it is called "The underground history of american education". It will OPEN your mind in places you didn't know exsisted!

mylilarmybrats May 31st, 2007 11:47 PM

Thanks so much guys! Yeah I guess we have already started, lol. I will have to check that book out. I am super excited to start this adventure with her and my other children soon after :)

MissyPrincessEha June 1st, 2007 11:14 PM

Oh yes, I can understant wanting to start something...I was the same way. But my first was not in for that. :lol: He wasn't ready for school until he was at a first grade level age. That is why I say follow them.

But also have fun and quench your own hunger to do something. :)