JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Our First Day (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/593941-our-first-day.html)

CharmieCM June 1st, 2007 09:18 AM

We don't have all of our stuff in yet, but we're doing it anyway :D. And we love it. Today we hung our map (we didn't buy their expensive one, but just hung one of our own and will make our own "characters" to go on it), hung our bullein board, hung our flag poster, talked about the map of the world: where the biggest country is, where the biggest desert is, where the longest border is (and while we were at it, learned what a border is!). Then we looked at a picture of the earth at night and talked about how some people don't have electricity (as witnessed by the dark spots on the map). We talked about what our life would be like without electricity. Then we reviewed the continents and colored each continent a different color on the map, and labelled it 1, 2, 3, etc. so that they'll know the order in which we'll "visit" those continents. We took our "passport photos" (which I need to upload to get printed!) and after lunch we'll read our read-aloud.

It took about an hour, and while they were coloring, I got to use my sticky note system to plan out our first unit of science. I love the sticky-note system. It's totally me ;).

When I ordered from WP, I didn't order one book that I regret not ordering and I also didn't order a LA program for Samuel. I think I was planning on using First Language Lessons, but I've changed my mind so I'm going to order the LA2 for him to work through this year. It will beef up the reading a bit (a friend who was looking at the guidebook said "Isn't this WP? Where's all the literature?" LOL) and fill in some gaps in his self-taught reading and spelling (maybe). I'm also hoping the vocabulary program will help a bit with his reading comprehension.

I do have one big complaint about WP: they REALLY have a high markup. I've gotten all of my books from Amazon either new or used and saved a minimum of $5 per book. And looking at the LA today, the workbooks are maked up almost $4 each!! That's just CRAZY high. It frustrates me that they are marking up that much because I'd love to give them my business, but I just can't at that price!

Butter June 1st, 2007 09:52 AM

I'm glad the day went well! That's crazy about the mark-up though. Sonlight has right on their website how much their price is, how much Amazon's price is, and how much their price with the Core purchaser discount. Every once in a while Amazon will be slightly cheaper, but most are cheaper from Sonlight, especially factoring in the Core discount. I'm guessing that since WinterPromise is still relatively new and doesn't have the numbers of customers Sonlight has they just can't get the volume discount on ordering their books from the publisher that Sonlight (or Amazon) can. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future their prices go down some as they get a larger customer base. Of course that doesn't help you right now so it's a good thing Amazon is an option.

angeleyz June 1st, 2007 01:31 PM

I'm pretty lost as to what you're talking about :lol: What is WP?

-Tisha- June 1st, 2007 02:23 PM

It sounds like you guys had a great day and LOTS of fun!! I'm really looking forward to doing all of that stuff in a few years.

That's crazy about the mark ups! You would think they would like to help homeschoolers out.

Motherbird June 1st, 2007 02:50 PM

Thanks for letting us know. Ive been torn between WP ASI and SL Core 3 so it's good to hear about your day. I'm leaning towards SL again because it is less expensive (notice I didn't say cheaper :smile: ) but I hadn't considered buying through Amazon. I'll have to look into it.

joandsarah77 June 1st, 2007 03:21 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty lost as to what you're talking about What is WP?[/b]
WP stands for Winter Promise. http://www.winterpromise.com/ :smile:

angeleyz June 1st, 2007 03:39 PM

Cool, thanks!

Retrocutie June 1st, 2007 03:46 PM

Sounds like WP will work great for you! I'm glad your son had so much fun and learned so much his first day!
I hate hate hate when companies mark things up so much! Its like they are encouraging you to buy from other people. Oh well, at least you can get it somewhere else!

CharmieCM June 1st, 2007 08:03 PM

I had some guidance from a friend as to how to do WP without the big package. We have a great library system, so I didn't buy any of the read alouds. I bought the instructor's guide, the coloring books (b/c my kids love coloring, but I should have just bought one of each and made copies), the journals (x2) and one of the core books. The total order was $137. Then I bought about $80 from amazon (most of the books I needed were available used). I skipped the prayer and involvement journal b/c of the writing (my son hates writing and the youngest isn't capable of writing yet!) and I replaced it with Window on the World, which we can do orally and I can keep a prayer journal for all of us.

One thing I'd change: I'd get the WP Exclusive "Children of Many Lands" because it's tailored to the 30 countries included in the study. I didn't want to spend the money for it.

For me, WP is pretty much the only viable option because after this year of children around the world, we're moving into the American Story series. I don't like the "begin with the beginning" approach to history that many (most?) programs take.

MissyPrincessEha June 1st, 2007 10:11 PM

Okay...I know you know that the whole passport photo thing just is so me! I love making things fun and real, like they are taking a little trip. :) LOVE IT!

-Tisha- June 2nd, 2007 07:16 AM

I really thought that was a cute idea as well!!