JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Can homeschooling be done while working? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/692115-can-homeschooling-done-while-working.html)

rambec August 16th, 2007 08:39 PM

Hi,

I'd like to know if you can do it while working, or is this priviledge only for Stay-At-Home-Moms. Anyone out there work and homeschool?

Thanks!

Miguelsmommy August 16th, 2007 09:09 PM

Yes, you can. Both myself and husband are in school 25 hours a week. Both of us do maintenance for his dad's apartments, we have one home business and starting another. If you have to do 900 hours. you can do year round 7 days a week is 2.5 hours a day. you would of course have to find a babysitter that you trust, any day your child is read to or reads count it, have them write down what they did that day, (ie. websites, field trips, t.v. shows and games) depending on your state you may be able to put them as a tutor.

Butter August 17th, 2007 02:41 PM

I know a few people who homeschool and work. School doesn't have to be done during "school" hours.

Retrocutie August 17th, 2007 04:11 PM

Yep, you can homeschool and work at the same time! You can work full time, come home and do school with your kids- meanwhile have the baby sitter that you trust do some things with them too. Schedule things out for them to do that day like cute little games, experiments, books to read etc. Then you can do the rest once you get home.

rambec August 17th, 2007 08:55 PM

Quote:

depending on your state you may be able to put them as a tutor.[/b]

Hi Miguelsmommy,

Thanks for replying. There's just the above quote of yours I didn't get. What did you mean when you said "put them"?

I'm in Canada so not only are laws different, the language lingo is too. :-)

joandsarah77 August 17th, 2007 09:36 PM

I think she means write there name down on formal papers as the tutor.

MissyPrincessEha August 18th, 2007 07:11 PM

I so think you can do it and work! :)

hiskid1324 August 18th, 2007 07:20 PM

In Canada, with the exception of Alberta, it is very simple to homeschool in any way that you have the time to do so. Basically, the parent must supervise the child's education, and the education (in most provinces, though not the territories it seems!) should be centred in the home. So, if you have someone caring for your child, they can supervise the completion of the school work for a given day that you request they complete with your child, and you can do whatever you feel would be better done by you as a parent than by the sitter. There is not a "private tutor" option in any of the legislations that I can find for Canadian homeschoolers, but most of the legislations simply state that the parents must be the supervisors of the educational program. If, however, you live in Alberta, they have a highly intrusive and regulated homeschool legislation, and I'm not sure if you would be permitted to homeschool without being with your child for at least the 5 or 6 school hours every day. But, my mum supervised the implementation of programs set out by various homeschool parents around our province, I stayed in a home that supervised the implementation of my parents' homeschool program for six weeks, and I have supervised the implementation of homeschool programs for parents that I have known, and we have had no issues in any of the provinces this occurred in (I believe we're now at a count of three provinces of doing this). Most provinces and territories do not have a required number of days to attend school either (with the exception of Alberta, none have any such requirements). You can check out your options at hslda.ca

Miguelsmommy August 20th, 2007 06:19 PM

I did mean you can put the babysitter as the tutor.