JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/)
-   -   Starting in one week YAY! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f32-homeschooling/724033-starting-one-week-yay.html)

jonnysmomma September 10th, 2007 01:02 PM

Ok ladies....I start Homeschooling Jonny in 7 days! Im getting really excited. Im wondering tho, what time of day do you all think would be best for a 3 year old to learn? He wakes up around 8, and is in bes by 830, but rarely naps. Im hoping with some structure he will start napping again but im not banking on it. How long should the school sessions last? maybe start at a half hour and follow his lead? Any advice would be appreciate so much!!!

-Tisha- September 10th, 2007 01:33 PM

Hey Jeni!!! Oh how soon the fun will begin!! :smile:

I school Eathan 30 min - 1 hour TOPS! Usually it's 30 min. The time we start varies on Eathan's mood.

joandsarah77 September 10th, 2007 02:54 PM

For a 3 year old the best thing is to follow his lead. Make any learning play based. Read a lot and keep it short. Also unless he is activly looking for some school, don't have any or few expectations. He may want to do what your planing or not. If he would rather go play with his blocks then let him. Some days his interest might be 5 minutes other days 45 minutes. Also don't do too many worksheets, small kids get easily burnt out on them, even if they love them at first.

jonnysmomma September 11th, 2007 12:56 AM

I figured about 30-40 minutes. I know that kids his age learn best thru play....thats how hes learned what he knows...play and repetition. I dont intend on this being study hard formal schooling. He knows alot of what we are going to be learning already....he knows alot more than what is considered "normal" for a 3 year old. *brag lol* but I want the year between now and when he goes to actual preschool to be educational. KWIM?

Oh, and hes been asking about going to school for about 6 months now. where he found out about school is beyond me.....Pat and i have only been talking about school around him for the last 2 months......

Butter September 11th, 2007 09:04 AM

He probably found out about school from friends or books or TV. Going to school is just everywhere in our society.

As for how when and how long, totally follow his lead. Some kids are best early in the morning, some in the evening, and some at some point in between.

MissyPrincessEha September 13th, 2007 07:17 PM

With Remy we do school when he asks to and when he is done we are done. But he loves to do school. Just keep following your little mans lead. :)

dinamommy September 13th, 2007 08:43 PM

Tyrael is 3 too and we do her school in the morning after she has had breakfast. It is when she is most apt to learn, I think. Her belly is full and she's ready to start her day. We usually end up doing it around 10:00 or 10:30. However, there have been some days here and there where I've had an appointment or had to go shopping in the morning and then we just do it after she naps and has a snack. Our sessions usually last between 30 and 45 minutes. Like the other mommies have said, I just scrap it for awhile or until the next day if she's not into it. I think (if I remember right) that you and I are doing the same curriculum with our little ones. Aren't you doing the letter of the week too? Tyrael loves it!