JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   If at First You Don't Conceive (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1757-if-first-you-dont-conceive/)
-   -   CD 3 vs CD 21 blood tests? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1757-if-first-you-dont-conceive/2479589-cd-3-vs-cd-21-blood-tests.html)

JennyLee January 23rd, 2012 07:00 PM

CD 3 vs CD 21 blood tests?

I have seen references to both CD 3 and CD 21 blood testing. I am scheduled for CD 21 tests, with no mention of anything else. What is the difference? Should I be asking about CD 3 testing? TIA!

kbpeanut January 24th, 2012 09:51 AM

Re: CD 3 vs CD 21 blood tests?

Good question! I did the same thing...well, not exactly, but my CD wasn't 3, it was much later. I asked my RE in advance, and she said that it wasn't a big deal to do my blood work on any day, vs CD 6 (yep, she said it was 6). She said the whole CD 6 thing is just a matter of doctor preference. I still don't even know what that all means, but I didn't worry about it ;)

Tammyms January 24th, 2012 05:10 PM

CD 21 is them checking your progesterone to see if you've ovulated by CD21. I know not everyone ovulates on CD14, but don't worry about that, even if you O on CD 17 or 18 it will show in your progesterone by CD21. Most docs start with that CD as a guideline and once you start doing more fertility stuff they'll test you 7 days after when they think you've O'd. If you don't have enough progesterone on CD21, that's when they'll started checking if you actually O or if your cycles are too long they'll work on that.

CD3 b/w depends on how much your doc wants to test. Most common is to test for FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) to see what your egg reserve is, your LH (lutenizing hormone) which should be low and increases as O gets closer, your E2 - estradiol (estrogen) which also should be low or can be indicative of a cyst or diminished ovarian reserve. There may be others your doc would want but those are most common :)

I wouldn't worry about asking for it just yet as if they don't think there is an issue they may wait on it :)

JennyLee January 26th, 2012 04:47 PM

Thanks for the helpful info! I know I am doing some of the ones you mentioned for CD3 on CD 21 - I remember FSH for sure. I guess I'll just wait and see what they say about these results.

kbpeanut January 26th, 2012 05:22 PM

Wow, thanks for that info, Tam. I had no idea about most of that stuff...even though I just did the blood work for most of it! I know the progesterone isn't tested, but the rest sound awfully familiar. And my doc said it didn't matter what day of my cycle I went. Cooooooooolio...thanks for the explanation!