JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   January 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/)
-   -   low lying placenta (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/2572711-low-lying-placenta.html)

cutebee September 12th, 2012 10:45 PM

low lying placenta

So went to the Dr today and he told me that they discovered I have a low lying placenta at my last ultrasound, he said I shouldn't worry about it. easier said then done right!?
So I go and google it and read up and it says that those that continue to have a low lying placenta have a c-section.
Has anyone out there had this???

minalyn September 13th, 2012 05:53 AM

Re: low lying placenta

I'm a FTM and have the same thing. First of all GET OFF GOOGLE lol. At my last appointment, 21 weeks, the placement of mine was like 1.2 and as you've probably been told they like it to be at least 2. The % of moms who don't move in under 5% so I wouldn't worry. I should say be advised when DTD you can bleed after. I found that ouit the hard way and it was scary. The Dr put me on pelvic rest till a recheck at the 28 week appointment.

MammaWannaBe September 13th, 2012 08:23 AM

totally don't worry about it and don't google! I found out the same thing at my last apt, that my placenta is a bit low lying. They are going to double check at 28 weeks to see if it has moved up. Something like 90% of women's placentas move up and they can delivery vaginally. If not, you have a C-Section, which while it is not my first choice, there is certainly no risk to you or the baby by having a low lying placenta, it just changes the birth plan.

No worries sistah, we are in the same boat!

kbpeanut September 13th, 2012 09:13 AM

I don't have this, but I know others on here do. I agree with the PPs, don't google!

Lintu September 13th, 2012 10:20 AM

I had that with my daughter and it moved. My friend at work also had it and it moved. Usually it does :)

Lucky Mama September 13th, 2012 10:53 AM

I had a VERY low-lying placenta with my first. It was, like, covering the cervix completely. Even though it was low enough to cause some real concern from my midwife, by week 36 it had moved up all on it's own.

It's true that if it doesn't move up, you will need a c-section. Like the other gals have said, though, the vast majority of low-lying placentas resolve on their own. As your uterus expands, the placenta will typically migrate up away from the cervix.

Try not to worry too much and remember that Google is not your friend! Even though it's stressful, take comfort knowing that the odds are definitely in your favor! :hug:

Louise85 September 13th, 2012 03:58 PM

I just went in for my 22 week apt at the doctos today where they reviewed my 20 week fetal anatomy scan and just found out I have a low lying placenta as well. My doctor said that I shouldn't be concerned, most women's placentas will self correct, and on a bright note I will be having another ultrasound at 26-28 weeks to see if my placenta has moved :)

cutebee September 13th, 2012 09:35 PM

Thanks ladies, that makes me feel better :smile: