JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   January 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/)
-   -   What are your doctors appointments like? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/2577253-what-your-doctors-appointments-like.html)

Jamiesquared September 25th, 2012 06:40 AM

What are your doctors appointments like?

I am trying to figure out if I am expecting too much from my appointments. While pregnant with my son I stuck with my GYN who is also a high-risk OB. I had known her for maybe 10 years before getting pregnant. I was closely monitored for cervix issues so I was there every 2 weeks getting ultrasounds and check-ins with the doctor. At the beginning of the third trimester when you would normally not need the cervix monitoring if you were fine up to that point I developed blood pressure issues so I basically continued along with my every two week appointments. This time around I see the doctor every 4 weeks and have had 2 ultrasounds. My appointments are so short though...literally the doctor walks in and asks how I am feeling (most of the time its fine just nauseous still), listens to the HB, and then gives me the date to schedule my next appointment. Thats about it. Yesterday I think I saw the doctor for 10 minutes max. Is that weird? Am I missing the closeness I had with my previous doctor since I knew her and maybe my appointments were longer/more often so in comparison this seems odd? Just wondering :)

alicia1984 September 25th, 2012 06:50 AM

Re: What are your doctors appointments like?

My appointments are every 4 weeks and soon they'll be 2 weeks when I'm closer to my due date. Nothing major goes on at them. Basically just get my vitals taken, listen for heartbeat, measure fundus height, go over the lab work if any was done. Then at the last few he tries to check my cervix which I think is a waste of time so I usually decline. I've been to 3 different ob/gyns with my children. My first one wasn't so nice, but it's excused since he was losing his mind kinda cause his son had killed himself. My second one was a woman who basically would listen to the heartbeat and send me on my way. She was also obsessed with my weight and would make me feel like crap about it. My current one takes his time with me and asks a bunch of questions. I was surprised my first few visits included an u/s cause I never had that with my previous 2 pregnancies. I only had 2 u/s with those pregnancies. This one I've had a couple, but I don't think any will be scheduled again unless there's a problem.

Mommy2_2.5 September 25th, 2012 06:52 AM

I don't even get 10 minutes....blood pressure, heartbeat, ask how I'm feeling....done. Normally three minutes and she hasn't measured fundal height yet! I always leave thinking it was so pointless to go

Jamiesquared September 25th, 2012 06:55 AM

Thanks for your replies. Seems normal then I guess.

I also leave feeling like it was so pointless to go! I dont exactly know what I want in terms of more at the appointments, I just never felt like my appointments were a waste of time with my son?

Sawyers_Mommy September 25th, 2012 07:14 AM

That seems pretty normal to me :)

I go every 4wks. Did go every two weeks a couple times when I was having to have an extra U/S done but this time it will be 4wks inbewteen my appointments. I go back in 2wks (its already been 2 since my last one) and I"ll be 26wks. I'm pretty sure after that I'll start going every 2wks cause they want me to have another U/S done at 28wks and 30 something weeks because of HBP. At *most* of my appointments I just get weighed, he comes in ask how I'm feeling, checks fundal height, HB then ask again how I'm feeling. He then explains what, if anything different, that we'll do at my next appointment, gives me a chance to ask questions and then I leave :)

I understand about the closeness, I've always liked Dr's like that. My last OB was strictly on a paitent level instead of trying to be your friend or however you want to put it. I don't like that! So I'm thankful that my new one gives me a chance to ask questions and doesn't make me feel stupid about them. :) Also I've had 4 U/S so far and will have atleast 2 more.

Jamiesquared September 25th, 2012 07:21 AM

Oh I forgot I am also weighed and my BP is checked, yay another couple of things to add to my 10 minutes lol. Maybe some of this for me is that I am not a FTM so I dont have a ton of questions. Example yesterday she asked how I felt and I said nauseous still but have been having pain in my stomach that I recognize as the round ligament pain from last time...she basically agreed and that was that. The first time around I probably would have had a few minutes discussing on what it could be and my doctor explaining why it was occurring lol.

joellejello September 25th, 2012 07:23 AM

Mine are pretty short and sweet too. The nurses take my blood pressure, weight, and blood (thyroid check every appt), measure fundal height, that kind of stuff. Then the doc comes in, goes over the numbers quickly, asks a couple questions, gives me a chance to ask anything I might want to ask, and that's that.

Sometimes it can feel like a waste, but then I remember to be grateful that I dont' have any pregnancy issues going on, and that quick, boring appointments right now are a good thing. I'm excited for my next one, I'll finally get to meet the midwife. She was at a birth for my first appointment, then was out giving birth herself the next! She'll be back to work soon, and will be my primary caregiver, I'm so excited!!

mal91011 September 25th, 2012 07:25 AM

My monthly appointments usually go like this:

I'm stuck in the waiting room for nearly 45 minutes, trying not to pee myself because the doctor is always behind. Once i get called in i rush to the bathroom to give them a urine sample, hoping that walking doesn't make me pee myself because i've been holding it too long.

Then the nurse weighs me and takes my blood pressure and ask a bunch of questions about how i've been feeling and then types a bunch of stuff into her laptop. Then she says the doctor will be right in to see me.

Then i wait another 20 minutes or so for the doctor to come in, she usually asks all of the same questions that the nurse just asked me, types more into the laptop. Checks the babies heartbeat, measures my belly, asks if i have any more questions and then i'm done.

If i DO get pregnant again, i will be going with a midwife that my friend recommended to me. I don't mind my OB, but it's a lot of waiting and money for not a lot of service.

zaney September 25th, 2012 07:29 AM

Let's see... I get there and pee in a cup. (does anyone else do that?) The nurse comes in and weighs me and takes my BP. Then the Dr. or midwife (I go to a practice) comes in and asks how I'm feeling. She measures the fundal height and listens to the HB. Then we go over whatever tests/ultrasounds have been done in the interim. Then I go and schedule a new appointment where I am asked which practitioner I would like to see next time. I'm always tempted to ask for my favorite one, but I need to meet them all so I don't have a stranger delivering my baby.

Lucky Mama September 25th, 2012 07:59 AM

I have to say: this is one reason I LOVE my midwife. My appts go something like this:

My family usually goes with me (she has lots of toys for the kids and DH likes being included). No waiting. Go give a urine and sample and dip the test strip myself. Weigh myself. Report back to my midwife. She asks if I have any questions or concerns.

If I do, we discuss them in-depth (for example, when I was having morning sickness, she not only gave me remedies, but also some morning sickness triggers, things to do to avoid making it worse, etc.). If I don't have any real concerns, we often chat. Then we talk about milestones and tests coming up.

After that, she takes my blood pressure, checks fundal height, checks baby's position, and listens for the heartbeat.

My appts are booked for a whole hour. They don't have to take the whole hour (but they usually do). That might seem like a bit much, but it really helps build a great relationship and establish trust, so I'm grateful for the more laid back, no-rush approach.

P.S. Though with my previous OBs and CNM, I had the more typical experience: wait for 45 minutes, pee in cup, step on scale, meet with doc for 10 minutes or less, and done. That seems pretty typical for the most part.

beamermarie September 25th, 2012 08:04 AM

I don't pee in a cup when I go, just initially happened for the first appointment. I do weight, Blood Pressure, heartbeat, Q+A, very simple and to the point.

d_tops September 25th, 2012 08:10 AM

I had to Google "Fundal Height," so clearly we don't do that.

I'm seeing both midwives and a high risk MFM right now. The last couple of midwife appointments included a urine sample and weight check with the nursing assistant. The midwife comes in (usually pretty quickly) to check vitals, listen to the heartbeat on the doppler, and then we talk for 15 minutes or so about how I'm feeling and questions I have. I'm going every four weeks at this point, and see a different midwife each time, so it's comfortable and informative, but we're not buddies.

I haven't had a regular MFM appointments yet. I've been told to expect an ultrasound with a technician and a few minutes to review what we're monitoring via ultrasound with a doctor.

michellelb September 25th, 2012 08:16 AM

mine are pretty short once I'm actually with dr. Seems like I wait forever then nurse does pee test, blood pressure and weight. Dr comes in, listens to the heartbeat asks how I'm feeling and if I have any questions. See you next month....

Jules_loves_beaches September 25th, 2012 08:47 AM

I see both my regular OB and a high risk OB consultant. The high risk office doesn't deliver so that is why I see both. My regular OB appointment is every 4 weeks and usually, unless I have questions, I am only in the room with the doctor for 5-10 minutes. The OB just asks how I am feeling and gets the HB. If I had labwork done, we go over that. Everything has been normal, so going over it was just labwork is back all is normal. :giggle:

Now my high risk OB, I get about a 30 min u/s every 4 weeks as well. I will start going every 2 weeks at 30 weeks and every week at 34 or 36.. its the same schedule with the regular OB. After the U/S the doctor comes in and goes over the u/s with me and asks how I am doing, but that is also just 10ish minutes.

I am a FTM, so I am not sure how things will go later in the pregnancy.

SaraSmiles September 25th, 2012 08:52 AM

Wow you got a whole 10 minutes!!! Mine are usually shorter than that lol. Normally about every 4 weeks I get to talk to my DR for about 7 minutes...then go to lab to do blood work or U/S but those are normally done by nurses or whatever. I feel so rushed sometimes that I forget the questions Ive been saving up for the whole month to ask. Next time I am going to write some down. :)

Jamiesquared September 25th, 2012 09:26 AM

I am lucky I guess I dont typically wait more than 15 minutes to see the doctor. I also pee at every appointment, its so they can check for protein in your urine :)

I should add that if I have questions or anything to talk about she never rushes me or anything. It is just more about nothing to talk about I guess lol.

Lil_Mama2B September 25th, 2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky Mama (Post 26573244)
I have to say: this is one reason I LOVE my midwife. My appts go something like this:

My family usually goes with me (she has lots of toys for the kids and DH likes being included). No waiting. Go give a urine and sample and dip the test strip myself. Weigh myself. Report back to my midwife. She asks if I have any questions or concerns.

If I do, we discuss them in-depth (for example, when I was having morning sickness, she not only gave me remedies, but also some morning sickness triggers, things to do to avoid making it worse, etc.). If I don't have any real concerns, we often chat. Then we talk about milestones and tests coming up.

After that, she takes my blood pressure, checks fundal height, checks baby's position, and listens for the heartbeat.

My appts are booked for a whole hour. They don't have to take the whole hour (but they usually do). That might seem like a bit much, but it really helps build a great relationship and establish trust, so I'm grateful for the more laid back, no-rush approach.

P.S. Though with my previous OBs and CNM, I had the more typical experience: wait for 45 minutes, pee in cup, step on scale, meet with doc for 10 minutes or less, and done. That seems pretty typical for the most part.

My appointments with my midwife are exactly like this. ( besides dipping the urine strip myself, she does that) I HATED going to OBs office, so glad I switched. I'm seeing a bit of a pattern in this thread with midwives and OBs.:p

marybeth76 September 25th, 2012 10:14 AM

I wish I'd had that experience with midwives! With my daughter, they were worse than the OB's, although he wasn't much better. I felt lucky if I got 3 minutes with any of them and they constantly messed up my info, etc. I guess I had the wrong kind or something, but they really represented themselves as something that they weren't. Oh well.

So far I've only had 2 appts with this new doctor, but the nurse has done my BP and weight and baby's hb, and then chatted with me and asked a bunch of questions, then the doctor comes in and chats and measures fundal height and feels my tummy a bit. I have not felt at ALL rushed with her which is a huge difference from my last doctor.

But yeah, I think it's standard for most visits to be very very short!

Mommy2_2.5 September 25th, 2012 10:43 AM

Forgot to add in mine that she listens to the heartbeat for 3 seconds only! Any others like this? You only hear a few beats! Luckily, I have one at home!

Sawyers_Mommy September 25th, 2012 10:49 AM

oh yea and I have to pee in the cup too and get blood pressure checked.

IF my blood pressure starts giving me trouble, he said sometime around 32 or 34wks (don't remember which) I'd have to go in TWICE a week for NST plus regular OB appointments once a week! Sure hope it stays under control